How often do you reboot your Roon core?

No dis to Linux but never been able to make any money off Linux.

I have been a Microsoft Partner since the 90’s and I know Windows inside out.

Sure, the Windows today is crappy if you do not tame it down. For a Roon music server, if you want it be reliable like Rock, then you to strip it down like a Rock setup is. That is what make Rock so good.

–MD

Absolutely false. Roon is rock solid running on a full Ubuntu server running all kind of other things as well.

The only advantage to Rock is turnkey installation and maintenance for folks with no familiarity with Linux.

Ben,

I was referring to Rock and Windows per say. In other words, you strip Windows down to bare bones to simulate Rock for it’s reliability and stability.

–MD

Ah ok, I misread that then. You’re just familiar with windows and don’t mind the extra effort? :wink:

True dat, however the extra effort for me would be Linux. :slightly_smiling_face:

–MD

And for those who do it all day and want a super reliable system that they are not tempted to tweak, because they are not allowed too

2 Likes

Been running on my now almost 5 year old Nucleus+ and hardly ever reboot. Only times really is if an update forces it or if a firmware update to network gear causes an issue. Both of these are rare. It usually just runs and keeps running.

I am not sure if this is defined as rebooting but about once a month I stop Roon Server using web access, I then clear the cache to reduce its bloat, then restart my Roon Server. Next I perform a manual back-up of Roon.

And yes, I am aware that you can clear the cache without first stopping Roon but it is just a habit I have gotten into.

thought I replied a while back, but apparently not…

My core runs on a 2012 Mac mini, and I’ve had a scheduled daily reboot going for a couple of years. Roon runs flawlessly, so I’m hesitant to change my habits.

Might be foolish consistency, but here we are.

I have to reboot regularly, often twice in an evening. It is incredibly frustrating. It seems to need it most when listening to stuff I haven’t yet listened to on roon, and particularly with longer files.

So maybe linked to track analysis which seems to be permanently analysing 2 tracks but there’s no way of identifying if those are new tracks or it’s stuck processing something.

When Roon ran on macOS, nightly.
When Roon ran on WIN10, at least after every Windows update.

On ROCK, never on purpose.

In the case of a power outage, for safety’s sake, I don’t have ROCK come up automagically after a power outage and once I have brought it up manually I do a Restore without a second thought.

If Roon OS v2.0 has some interface with a UPS to set down gracefully upon a power outage, then I will set the BIOS to come up automatically after a power outage and forgo a Restore.

Have you tried a real cold restart , shutdown everything, network the lot then start each component in turn . Restarting the Nucleus is often not enough

An odd file hanging is often fixed by doing this

Our electricity supply means I restart often twice daily , I have zero problems , apart from no power :joy:

1 Like

I have the NUC on a UPS so I shut down nicely,re starting has been perfect, no db corruption. I hate to claim the tile of master rebooter but our power supply gives me no choice :joy::joy::joy:

I posted this because I had a ton of instability with Roon core and Windows 10. Running same everything but with Roon core on same machine, converted to Ubuntu Server, is pretty stable. Occasionally it will pause or stop playing at end of a track, but nothing like the massive instability and need to reboot constantly as when on Windows 10.

You can spend a lot of time stripping down and trouble-shooting Windows 10, or you can spend time learning the actual solution, which is not to run Roon core on Windows unless you aren’t pushing it very hard.

Yes, but you must do the shutdown yourself, right? What happens if you aren’t there during a power outage? I want Roon OS to be smart enough to shut itself down because of a UPS alert.

Old Mac Mini headless - runs Unbuntu and about every 6months for OS updates

We know when they are going to happen, if we go out , to bed etc everything is shut down and unplugged , I lost most of my hi fi to a lightening strike some years back, sensitive kit is never left connected to mains

Call me paranoid :sunglasses:

Our outages are pre-planned due to shortfall of generation capacity , we are “load shed” to match capacity to usage by geographic area. That can be 2 or sometimes 3 2.5 hr sessions a day.

It’s a real PITA but that’s life at the moment. We plan cooking, listening, watching around the outages, get lots of “Eskom induced sleep” in the afternoon

Africa is not for sissies :smiling_imp:

1 Like

We have surge protection for the entire building, direct lightningstrike to the wires outside actually led to no issues (besides alarm from the surge protection device). For this reason I never disconnect anything :slight_smile:

My disaster was not mains, it was back in ADSL days, my neighbour has a palm tree it took a direct hit, it actually caught fire. The discharge ran down the phone line and blew the ADSL filter and fried just about everything. It was unplugged at the time.

I had my wired network set up for 3 days :face_holding_back_tears:

A surge protection on the board wouldn’t help in this case. Hopefully fibre underground doesn’t conduct

Paranoid but the only isolation you can trust is the plug out. I lost streamer, video streamer, AV amp, switches, ironically the PC survived

You can’t blame me for being a little cautious.

Some of our summer storms are really spectacular :joy:

1 Like

My Windows Core gets rebooted far less than the ROCK core which needs to reboot often after an update, which is nearly a bi-weekly occurrence. To contrast I think my Windows core has been rebooted once/twice a year since my last post in 2020.