How often do you reboot your Roon core?

I reboot every Monday morning at 4:30 automatically right after my weekly router reboot (ASUS RT-AX92U). My Roon Core is on a Gigabyte ITX Gaming 5 running Windows 10 Pro with an i7-4790K CPU @ 4.4 GHz with 32 GB DDR3 RAM. My music stores are on an old, RAID V, Netgear ReadyNAS RN104, a hard drive NAS with 9TB storage. I have six or seven endpoints depending upon which are working at any time. Half the endpoints are Allo DigiOne Signatures on Raspberry Pi 4 the other half is a mongrel assortment of JustBoom DAC/Amp, direct USB from a Pi 4, and Nanomesher products. My DACs are either ones built into my amplifiers or Schiit products. Still testing Roon versus Volumio and Tidal versus Qobuz, but the best sounding and easiest to keep running is the Roon-Qobuz combo. . I’m an old Windows and Linux systems engineer so I use whatever works. I reboot my network once a week, but that may just be a habit.

I run Roon in a container on top of Ubuntu server together with some other services (all managed via compose file). Whenever I need to update any of the containers I just run sudo docker-compose down && sudo docker-compose up -d and the entire thing updates itself. I can’t even remember when was the last time I rebooted the host though

Never !
Only if i need to reboot the ESXi server for an upgrade.

1 Like

I think Roon is more stable in Linux than Windows. Just by the informal polling of who reboots often and who doesn’t.

I do not know about windows, but my experience with my Roon Core on Linux is that is stable and resource efficient.
The only time my Core is restarted is because of OS updates that need a reboot.
My Core runs on a late 2012 Mac Mini with an i7 processor and 16GB ram.

I make a backup of the Roon dB every night and synchronize it to my ownCloud solution.
This way i always have a fresh backup where i need it.

Ripping CD’s and adding them to my library is done by copying them into my library folder from my ripping PC with rsync.
Using rsync makes copying a breeze, efficient an fast.

My Windows base core is very stable. Every few hundred days I reboot for the sake of rebooting. Updates are no longer available for the build I am using.

It is setup as a music server only. The only reason it is on the internet is to phone home to Roon for authentication. Very satisfied with it. I really have no issues at all.

–MD

Well I am not sure what to say - the absence of problems on some windows machines is reassuring. On both my Windows based Roon cores, they seem to run out of steam, get slower, want to pause more and more, start to lose the ability to serve images to remotes, then the software needs to be restarted and it gets better. Not sure if there is a difference between restarting software and rebooting the machine but I do the latter less often.

@James_I

I have custom build of Windows 10. It has been thoroughly stripped of practically all unnecessary programs as so to serve as a music server only. No surfing the internet, email, graphics - nothing is done on this server except for Roon Core running.

I have only 29 days on this run only because we got hit with 2 hurricanes back to back and my electrical power was down for about 5 days.

–MD

Update: This build is Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit - Build 1607 and is going on 4.5 years old.

I run ROCK on a very new i10 NUC. I don’t reboot very often at all. I have intermittent network gremlins for both local library and Tidal which create some occasional (daily, but fewer than 10% of tracks) latency starting a track - 5-10 second wait. It’s never occurred to me to try rebooting my ROCK to solve that. I would love to know whether it’s a bottleneck in my local network (all UniFi switches & APs, ROCK, NAS and all endpoints on 1GB ethernet, NAS has 2 bonded 1GB connections) or internet, or the combination of the two that is the ghost in the machine. But maybe I’ll try an occasional reboot and see if that helps the “congestion”. As will all things audio, placebo effect if nothing else!

Can you share your compose file please.
I am interested in how you configured your container.

Other services omitted for clarity. Yes, I keep the volumes in home directory, this is probably a bad practice. Devices are passed through so it’s possible for Roon to use usb dac attached directly to core (I don’t have one but if I ever did the configuration already supports it), and to access files stored on the external drives.

version: ‘3.7’
services:
roon:
image: steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver
volumes:
- /home/ubuntu/roon-app:/app
- /home/ubuntu/roon-data:/data
- /mnt/Drive/Music:/music
- /mnt/Drive/RoonBackups:/backup
container_name: roon-server
network_mode: “host”
restart: always
init: true
devices:
- ‘/dev/snd:/dev/snd’
- ‘/dev/bus/usb:/dev/bus/usb’
environment:
- TZ=‘Europe/Warsaw’

Every time I switch inputs in my dac. Often enough to Need a Reset BUTTON in the remote.!!!

1 Like

Core runs on Win10/Lenovo X220, always on (24/7).
I reboot if the OS update requires it, no need to reboot otherwise.

Core on Ubuntu server 20.04 LTS headless.
Restart only when needed for OS updates.

The OS isn’t the problem, it’s Roon that needs restarting.

Then, never… :wink:

2 Likes

You would never need to restart Roon, unless something is wrong with your DAC/streamer or your OS update/upgrade requires a restart of your PC/device.

Btw, I run my Roon Server on a 2012 Mac Mini, so if you have to reboot your Roon Server frequently on a Mac, I think you need to check if something is wrong with your Mac?

2 Likes

Yep, I had exactly this behavior when I was running my Core on Mac mini (late 2015). Since switching to Nucleus, I only reboot when an update is installed.

Same thing here. Running my (Taiko Extreme) core 24-7. Roon requires a reboot every day or two. Otherwise it shows a weird display like it tries to play a track and it flies through it in a few seconds then stops.

Clearly a bug.

For some perspective, this about ROCK uptime -

1 Like