How to create a watched folder from MacBook to Linux Roon Server?

This must be a common question, but I can’t find an answer. I’ve installed the RoonServer on a PC running Linux Mint 18. For some reason the install did not create $HOME/.RootServer but I did that manually. The service is running as root. I also installed the Roon software on my Mac. Time to watch some folders! I’ve tried stuff like “smb://192.168.1.152 /home/john/.RoonServer” with no joy. The error in Settings Storage is “unable to find suitable address” Help!

Thanks from John (the Noob)

Hi John,

Assuming your music files are on the same server that you have installed Roon Server on to … then that folder is seen by Roon Server as a local folder and that is what you should configure Roon to watch.

E.g. /music or /music/roon

Only if your music files are located on a different device do you need to use a network share.

It can be easy to overlook that it is always the Roon Core that accesses the files and streams them out … never the remotes.

Hope that helps.

Well, if I understand you, you have a pc running Roon server, a mac running Roon Client, and the files live on the Mac with the Roon client. And you want to set the server to watch the folder on your Mac?

The music files and RoonServer are on the Linux box. I’m planning on running it headless. The Roon software (control) is on the Mac. I want to have the Mac watch folders on the Linux machine over the network. I don’t know how to connect from the Mac to the RoonServer.

Thanks for the help!

[quote=“John_McMacken, post:4, topic:15266”]I want to have the Mac [Roon Remote] watch folders on the Linux machine over the network. I don’t know how to connect from the Mac to the RoonServer.
[/quote]Did you see my previous post?

Just wondering on the Mac … did you install Roon to run as remote … connecting to the Roon Core service?

This is important as you should only have one Roon Core running … (in your case a Roon Server on Linux PC) all other installs should be running as Roon remotes.

Ahhh, I get it. Installed a remote on my iPAD and it politely asked me to connect the Linux box. Thanks, I had a fundamental mis-understanding of core vs. remote.

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

1 Like