How to fix delay when zones are grouped?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon 1.7 (571) on Windows 10, super fast new PC.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Archer C7 v5 router

LAN 1 (PC Zone) – CAT6 to PC > USB MiniDSP 2x4HD > JBL Monitors

LAN 2 (Modi Zone) – CAT6 to Raspberry Pi 4 revB running Ropieee (latest ver) > USB Schiit Modi 3 > RCA MiniDSP 2x4HD > RCA Preamp etc.

Description Of Issue

Whenever I group these 2 zones there is a significant delay. I know I can go to the advanced settings for zone that’s “ahead” and delay it (in this case the PC is ahead of the Modi), but I also thought that RAAT was supposed to take care of this? Both MiniDSP are running the same xover and EQ functions (just with different values for each room) so I don’t think the delay is due to that.

1. Is there some way I can fix this so that they are automatically synced perfectly? Or is this just a common thing that has to be dealt with by the delay setting? I can imagine in more complicated setups where you’re trying to send the same audio to multiple rooms in an entire house this could get super messy, thus why I thought Roon is supposed to automatically take care of this.

2. If not, what’s the best way to dial in the perfect delay? I narrowed it down to 110ms but I’m not convinced it’s exact… however it’s really really difficult to judge if 105ms is better or 115ms is better.

Roon can’t know what’s going on after your shiit in the analog domain, so I guess that’s your problem here.
An easy test would be to take the shiit out of the loop and use USB here too.

By the way, are you using the shiit D/A mini DSP A/D double conversion, because you like what that does to the sound?

If I were you, I would not agonize about plus or minus 5ms (equaling to about plus minus 1.7 meters), since whenever you move between the two zones, the “optimum” delay changes anyway.

Just kick back, relax and enjoy your music…

It takes care of it up to the DAC after that it has no idea what’s happening. the clocks on each of the minidsps might not be accurate and you will get one drfit , tOnce you set the delay you should not have to do it again so it will be set in the device you make the master clock. If it’s moving then the clocks on the minidsp must be drifting.

You’re right, direct from the Ropieee to the MiniDSP USB sounds noticeably better than the extra D/A via the Modi (though there was no effect on the delay). I originally set up the system with the Modi for other reasons that were legit before I got Roon but now I realize that I no longer need it – I can use the MiniDSP USB port and control volume via the Roon app now.

1 Like

Hi @armandhammer,

It sounds that the issue is resolved since making that configuration change, but if you need further assistance here, please just let us know!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.