How to get a list of deleted file

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

OSX Server, 1.6 build 401

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

NAS Drive storage

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Networked devices

Description Of Issue

I have had a NAS drive failure and have lost some of the music on the drive.

Roon is reporting 708 deleted files in the Library Maintainance (it was 3000+, but I have managed to restore most of them).

How can I get a list of the 708 missing files so I can re-rip those CDs?

2 Likes

I don’t think Roon has this feature as it has been requested before in the context of Tidal albums that Tidal deletes/renames, so they just disappear from your collection without warning or notification.

I am hoping there is a log I can access or even the SQL database which I can query myself.

There are logs yes, but I wouldn’t describe them as exactly easy to read:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Logs

It is not easy
I had a similar issue of clean up files recurring every time a scan ran.
It was through diagnostics that Roon told me what they were. I had to re-rip some to get them into a condition that Roon liked.
I still have 33 files it does not like and have not bothered to ask Roon to check what they are.
I think access to a simple report of what they are would be useful for housekeeping purposes.

Thank you Tony - yes, not easy to read and I don’t think they contain the info I am looking for. Hoping that someone from Roon support can help with this…

Thanks for the reply Roger - do you remember what diagnostics got you the list of which files they were?

it was diagnostics run by roon support

OK thank you - I will wait for support and hope they help me.

Well, the missing song data would have been logged either at the time it went missing or when you first started up Roon afterwards with the data missing. The library would have been rescanned at that time, so you can search for the date and approximate time in the logs to see what was logged.

Hi @Barrie_Hadfield,

Sorry to hear about the drive failure! Unfortunately we do not have a way to get list of the deleted files that is being reported in Settings | Library | Clean Up Library.

In Roger’s case mentioned above these files did exist in his storage location and that case was a bit different than your situation.

Apologies for the inconvenience here, Barrie!

Why wouldn’t there be a log?

Roon identifies DB entries for files that no longer exist and displays a count under Clean Up Library. I’m making a huge assumption that this count is really the number of keys/objects that need to be removed from the DB.

Roon does not actually do any modification of the DB until the point in time the user cleans the library, yes? It is at that point Roon would go and remove those “rows” from the DB? The data that it is deleting out of the DB should also include the file location? And that can be reported in a log somewhere? I’d also assume that current DB and backup DB could be compared? That would give hints as to what was removed from the DB because of missing files.

This data would be useful to me as I’m about to move some directories around and it’d be nice to see what DB updates / delete / insert stuff is being done to track that.

1 Like

I @dylan thanks for the reply. As a software developer, I find it hard to understand why this would be the case. The database clearly has a list of files which no longer exist, hence the count of deleted files. The ‘clean up’ will change the status of those database entries or actually delete them from the DB.

Can someone look at my DB and provide a list of files marked as ‘deleted’? If not, can you provide me with some details as to which DB it is (SQLite?) so I can look myself?

I am sorry to be a pain, but this is a problem to me and I rely on your wonderful software every day. I know the missing files have nothing to do with Roon, but I also know that the answer to my problem is in your gift.

I need some help please.

This is pretty reasonable, but it’s also a feature request. We can’t guarantee that in every single case the deleted “track” would have any info other than an ID, and like anything else this would need to be designed, built, and tested, but it is something we could look into.

Making this information available in-app is the right way, if people need access to this information. I understand there’s some urgency here, and there are other cases I would definitely be sympathetic too, like after a hard drive failure.

But having our developers spend time on these kinds of issues sets a really bad precedent, so unfortunately we can’t do anything manual here. If you export your library as an XLS now, you can use that as a reference in the future, but I realize that doesn’t help here.

Sorry there isn’t more we can do – it would be great if you could open a feature request for this list, and I can make sure @support refers people there whenever this comes up.

1 Like

Hi Mike

Thank you for your very decent reply. I do understand that you need to keep your development team focused on your core proposition and I do understand that backlogs are always far longer than possibly deal with.

From my point of view this is however very frustrating an issue as I have committed my information to a system which is now opaque to me. The core value proposition I derive from Roon is its incredible organisation of files, so knowing that the Roon database knows the files are missing, but I am unable to get that information depletes this proposition for me.

What makes matters worse is the fact the the albums which are deleted (I guess about 50 of them for the 700 files) have disappeared from the Roon UI, so I cannot even find the tracks that do not play and then re-rid those albums.

To get past this point, would I be able to use the Roon API? I am very happy to write a plugin that does this and publish it in my Github account for others to use in this situation (under a MIT license). I did have a look at the API reference but was unable to establish if this level of information would be available in the API. Even if I could get the file path I could check if the file exists at that location.
Could this be a solution?

1 Like

@support @mike sorry to be a pest, but is there merit in the solution suggested above?

Hi Barrie,
something that no-one seems to have mentioned yet is the status of your audio file backup. Why weren’t you able to restore the 700+ files from that onto your repaired NAS? You do not need to know which files they are, as a copy and paste over the existing NAS music directory structure would fill in all the gaps (with no need to replace existing files).

Hi Tony - thanks for the reply.

My backup was out of date. I had lost over 3,000 files, and the last backup got me most back - its just the remaining 700. You would then think that I could look at the CDs ripped since the backup, but there is the problem - we have been re-ripping everything from MP3 to FLAC, so that amounts to over 2,000 CDs. As I do not have a list of what is missing, it is like a needle in a haystack to look at each one then search in Roon to see if it exists.

I know - I should have been better at my backup!

Barrie

1 Like

I want to know the log of the missing file.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.