How to get a ROCK to power down properly with a UPS

I have recently bought an APC BX1400UI UPS, and have successfully connected a Synology NAS and a Synology NVR to the UPS. Both will now power down in a controlled fashion 5 minutes after the UPS battery kicks in. The Synology NAS is connected to the UPS with a USB cable, and the NAS & NVR communicate with each other via the “Synology Server” option.

But how can I get a NUC (Intel NUC8i3BEH3), with the ROCK package installed to shut down nicely as well.

TIA

1 Like

You can use an http request to power down ROCK

1 Like

Thanks, @Jan_Koudijs - but how might I automate that, so that (for example) “Shut Down the ROCK 5 minutes after the UPS battery kicks in”?

In case it matters, I use macOS.

You don’t. ROCK is an “appliance” with zero customization. If you want this, install your own Linux OS on the NUC and then install the Linux Roon Core package on it. Then install NUT (Network UPS Tools, which is what Synology uses “under the hood” for UPS management). Then you can configure NUT on your Roon Core machine to monitor your NAS that has the UPS attached to it via USB.

1 Like

Thanks @cwichura ; I therefore take it that I would need to

• factory reset my NUC (to remove Roon ROCK)
  • install (for example) Ubuntu Core or Desktop - does it matter which? https://ubuntu.com/download/intel-nuc-desktop (Maybe installing Ubuntu will mean I don’t have to do the factory reset above?)
  • install NUT & configure it to talk to the Synology UPS Server software
  • install / run? an Easy Install Script (Roon Server (x64). https://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall

TIA

You need somehow a trigger to run a custom command. Can e.g. the Synology run a command before it shuts down?

There is no “factory reset”. You just install your favorite Linux distribution and tell it to overwrite the drive.

You can use any major distribution. Personally, my Roon Core is running on CentOS 7.

I thought the ROCK installation mounted all the drives as a ramFS? In which case it really doesn’t matter and won’t corrupt the filesystem by improperly shutting it down.

I has to hit the real file system from time to time to make things like the database and settings persistent, but i was under the impression that the bulk of the work was in ram.

1 Like

Any resolution to this? I also have a NUC Roon Rock system, which I connected to my APC UPS. The Synology NAS will power down when power supply switches to battery, and it can tell other network devices to power down also (apparently) - but can this be done with the ROCK?

Not at the moment. I certainly request years ago for this very thing to be included in the future.

The software to allow this is not part of ROCK and you cannot load it onto a ROCK based NUC. If this is required then you should load up Linux (or Windows) which will allow you to load software that will allow UPS initiated shutdown.

Thanks for your quite reply Big Dan. According to a post above, unexpected power loss won’t corrupt data on the NUC anyway. I hope that is correct…

Actually that post is making an assumption. As far as I understand, Roon holds it’s database in memory. An ungraceful shutdown as from immediate power loss runs the risk of database corruption.

2 Likes