How to Get Back Access to my I7 NUC based ROCK

Yeah, reservation is the better term than assignment.

I think we agree on another thing and that is that the OPs problem looks like an IP ‘collision’.

1 Like

Wish it were that simple. The modem doesn’t show the device. It shows the laptop, and the two RPi DACs, plus the iPad and Anroid phones, but not the Intel NUC ROCK.

The reason the tech wanted to make the IP address static was because he though the ROCK might be loosing connection because of a possible IP conflict. So he wanted to move it to an IP address that Angry IP Scanner and Fing both said were not being used.

I would have thought the way to do that would be to reserve the IP address for the ROCK in the modem first and then tell the ROCK that IP address, but that’s not the way he went.

This modem is built by Netgear specifically for Telstra and no doubt has a different software config because of that. The IP address of the modem is 192.168.15.1

The IP address of the laptop is 192.168.15.2
There’s a Galaxy S8 on 192.168.15.4
There’s a Galaxy Note8 on 192.168.15.5
The HiFiBerry DaAC is 192.168.15.8
The iPad is on 192.168.15.9
The Audiophonics DAC is on 192.168.15.252

I don’t have any way to find out what address or subnet the ROCK thinks it’s on. The on screen message would seem to indicate that it’s not being given an IP address by anything.

I know, and that’s what Roon support recommends. But a static IP address was tried because the connection to the ROCK wasn’t staying up for more that a few minutes.

Absolutely correct. This ‘tech’ really did a number on you, but I guess that doesn’t help.

This seems to be what was happening with the ROCK, which is why the tech wanted to try setting a static IP address. It just seems that setting a static IP address has not been done right so now I find myself with no access to the ROCK at all.

I’m relying on a mixture of Fing running on the iPad, the report from the modem, plus what a scan by Angry IP Scanner running on the laptop shows.

Angry IP Scanner is only showing devices on .1 (no hostname), .2 (laptop), .4 (Android), .8 (HiFiBerryDACPro02), and .252 (Audiophonics01).

Given this was about the only option that I seem to have left to me I’ve just started down this path.

First I did a recovery, but when the device was rebooted it was stuck still trying to get an IP address.

So I then did a full install. On reboot I was given the IP address 192.168.15.12

Yippee! I could access the web interface. Of course the Codecs were missing so I tried accessing the data directory to add them. I couldn’t do it. A few minutes later I could no longer access the web interface. Oh dear! Looks like the fundamental problem of the ROCK staying on the network is still there.

Rebooted. Same IP address. Connected to the web interface. Still can’t access the data directory. Then again, after a few more minutes the ROCK has gone from the network.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be and what the way forward is?

I though I might try checking the BIOS version on the Intel i7 NUC and updating it if required.

UPDATE:
As best I could tell the BIOS is already up to date. I set it to factory defaults and made the suggested changes. The ROCK still disappears from the network after a while.

One time after rebooting the ROCK, I kept refreshing the web interface screen every 5 to 10 seconds. It stayed available for more than 5 minutes. But once I stopped refreshing it disappeared again.

I’m at a total loss. I can’t work out if it’s a problem with the Intel 7i7 NUC or the modem.

I don’t believe it’s the ROCK or the i7 that’s the problem. At this point, restores and BIOS updating, etc. would seem to be a waste of time.

What address did you use to log on to your router’s software? Was it 192.168.15.1? If you can then the list of assigned IPs and their corresponding MAC addresses will be shown. If there is a collision between IPs, as it seems, you will see the ROCK’s IP (192.168.15.12?) being assigned to something else.

For now, stop trying to use some other software (Fing, Angry IP Scanner, etc.) to determine IPs. Use the router interface.

BTW - you keep referring to the modem because you have a combination modem/router? It’s the router part that’s the problem, not the modem.

1 Like

I’ve just been looking at the manual for the Netgear modem/router. On page 40 is information about the DHCP server that it has. For some reason best known to Netgear, the DHCP server uses the full address range in the subnet when assigning IP addresses. That is, when a new device appears on the network, and asks for an address, it will hand out an address from within the range 192.168.15.2 to 192.168.15.254. So there’s no room for any devices that have been set to use static IP addresses. If you do have a device that has a static address in your network, there’s a chance that the Netgear will try and use that address with another device and cause problems.

Yeah, I googled for the same manual.

I think, in a prior post in this thread, the OP implied that he had done an IP reservation.

If he hasn’t then he should reserve the IP 192.168.15.12.

I don’t think Netgear did this. I think it was customized by Telstra. Is that some European ISP?

Nah - it’s the Aussies downunder.

BTW, there’s nothing in the manual about making reserved addresses for attached devices, so it may not be possible to do this. If not, and static addresses are required for some devices, then the address range for the DHCP server will have to be changed.

The usual way is to (in the case of this modem/router) set the DHCP range from 192.168.15.100 to 192.168.15.200, so that static addresses can be used on devices in the range of 192.168.15.2 - 192.168.15.99 and 192.168.15.201 - 192.168.15.254.

1 Like

Telstra is the largest ISP in Australia.

Well I’ve now tried to do a reinstall of ROCK without success. At least I can see the ROCK on the network for a while, and access the web interface, but the device doesn’t stay live on the network for long enough for me to finish setting it up let alone restoring the Roon database.

It turned out I wasn’t on the latest NUC BIOS so I updated it. But now F7 doesn’t work to let me in to configure the BIOS. At every turn in my search for a solution I seem to strike another problem.

It was 192.168.15.1 to access the modem. The ROCK appears as 192.168.15.12 for a while. I’ve not seen that IP being assigned to something else yet.

I try them all because I seem to get different reports from each. Not all of the reports always show all of the devices I believe I should see.

True, and while I’m normally very pedantic, I simply got tired of accurately referring to the device as a modem/router/switch/wi-fi gateway/whatever else. It seems most tend to simplify it down to modem these days, so I’d started doing that too.

Last time the ROCK was showing up the router reported…

Wired Devices

IP Address MAC Address Device Name

1 192.168.15.8 B8:27:EB:E0:7A:08 HIFIBERRYDACPRO02
2 192.168.15.252 B8:27:EB:CF:5D:07 AUDIOPHONICS01
3 192.168.15.12 94:C6:91:17:A3:E1 ROCK
4 192.168.15.13 B8:27:EB:9A:C5:71 HIFIBERRYDACPRO03
5 192.168.15.2 98:E7:F4:4B:D3:11 DIVESHOP-MUSIC

2.4G Wireless Devices (Wireless intruders also show up here)

1 192.168.15.9 A4:F1:E8:98:67:34 LLOYDSIPRO256GB

5G Wireless Devices (Wireless intruders also show up here)

1 192.168.15.5 A0:C9:A0:8F:7C:02 GALAXY-NOTE8

Right now via TeamViewer from home it’s showing…

Wired Devices

1 192.168.15.8 B8:27:EB:E0:7A:08 HIFIBERRYDACPRO02
2 192.168.15.252 B8:27:EB:CF:5D:07 AUDIOPHONICS01
3 192.168.15.13 B8:27:EB:9A:C5:71 HIFIBERRYDACPRO03
4 192.168.15.2 98:E7:F4:4B:D3:11 DIVESHOP-MUSIC

No ROCK. My smartphone has left the building. The iPad is not showing.

So if it’s an IP assignment conflict that’s the problem, how do I determine that, and how is it fixed?

I believe that currently none of the devices on the network have a static IP address other than the modem/switch/router/…

How would I find out if something else was on a static IP address?

I didn’t do it. The Telstra support guy supposedly tried to do so, but I think he stuffed it up which is why I then couldn’t access the NUC device at all until I did a reinstall of ROCK. According the the ROCK web interface, the device is no longer configured to be on a static IP address.

How do I check if an IP address is reserved on the router? How do I clear the reservation?

As I understand it, static IPs are assigned from within the device, itself. IP address reservation, which is the best way to do what the tech probably wanted to do, doesn’t seem to be available in your router software.

It doesn’t matter if you can find the static address, it seems to be the one associated with your ROCK machine, 192.168.15.12. Make sure that address, at least, is outside the range of what DHCP can assign.

You should follow this advice by @Geoff_Coupe. He usually knows whereof he speaks and I think, in this case, he has the solution.

Oh yeah, to clear the air, Fing can show IPs under iOS. It’s the MAC address that the software can no longer determine. Sorry about the confusion over that.

I’m afraid the only way to be sure is to look at each device in turn and check how the network address is being set up by the device. The network settings on each device should tell you whether it is using DHCP (to get an IP address assigned from the router) or a particular static address.

This is true, but we don’t need to care about that right now. Let’s get the ROCK machine straightened out first. That’s probably the only device using static IP, anyway. I don’t have a ROCK machine but I’m assuming that when the ‘tech’ set up the static address, he did it there? This is true?

I think that what’s happening is that a lease has expired on one of your other devices and DHCP tries to assign a new IP, that being, unfortunately, the IP that is static for your ROCK machine. That would explain why the ROCK is temporarily accessible, i.e. until a lease expires on another device and DHCP needs to assign a new IP to that device. Without sitting in front of your keyboard that’s the best I can come up with.

In any event, as suggested above, change your DHCP range to exclude the IP of your ROCK machine. I guess that’s 192.168.15.12. Make a note of the current DHCP range before you change anything so you can change it back if things go south.

An example from my setup -
DHCP start - 192.168.0.100
DHCP end - 192.168.0.200
Gateway - 192.168.0.1

You should be good to go if you change to -
DHCP start - 192.168.15.100
DHCP end - 192.168.15.200

Your Gateway should already be - 192.168.15.1

Let us know what happens.

Because I’ve since reinstalled the ROCK software, what the tech did should no longer be relevant. The new clean install should have set the ROCK back to being assigned an IP address via DHCP. That the ROCK web interface can now be accessed, all be it for only a short time, implies the ROCK is now successfully getting it’s IP address from the router. Plus the ROCK web interface now shows the ROCK is setup as DHCP. So effectively we’re now back to where we were when the tech was grasping for a solution.

I’m surprised that @support hasn’t been helping much with this process. I’ve followed their earlier suggestion to reinstall ROCK. It seems progress has been made but there’s still something wrong. One would think they might have come across this sort of problem before.

It seems logical that effectively I’m now in the situation where a new ROCK user sets up ROCK but then finds the device won’t stay connected to the network for long enough for it to be configured. It’s just that when I can get the ROCK staying connected long term again I’l be trying to recover the database from backups.

As best I can tell the current IP address range of the router is 192.168.15.2 to 192.168.15.254