How to have separate music collections

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Dell PC

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Home WiFi network
Ethernet connections.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Innuos Zen Mini music server.

Description Of Issue
What is the best way to keep separate my classical and jazz and pop collections?

1. Tags, but probably a lot of work depending on your collection size.
  2. Different folders that you could enable/disable at your wont. Clumsy as it might be.
  3. Using Focus to create Bookmarks based on Genre. The best method, IMHO.

Off the top of my head; those more organized might have better suggestions.

A mix of 2. and 3. from @xxx’s list. Use different folders (Settings|Storage) and then use Focus (Inspector|Storage Locations) and create a Bookmark for each storage location.

2 Likes

Hi @Peter_Pruim,

As mentioned above, a combination of Focus, Tags, and Bookmarks should help here! If you have any questions about this just let us know.

Bookmarks to segregate libraries are a terrible compromise because it restricts how you can then explore your library.

Use two or more different storage trees and turn off the “libraries” you’re not interested in.

I like this approach. How do I get started doing that?

In Roon’s storage locations add as many as you intend having separate libraries. Let the whole lot scan and import with all stage locations enabled.

Thereafter just disable those you don’t care to see when using Roon. Be careful not to run Clean up library with a storage location disabled.

It’s a bit of a kludge because storage location settings don’t follow a user profile, but it’ll work and give each “library” full use of Roon’s UI.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.