How to improve Roon restore time

As I replaced my regular hard disk for an SSD in my music streamer, I needed to restore my Roon Core database.
Everything went smoothly, and my system is up and running again.

However, things went so smoothly, that it took more than a full day (about 27 hours !) to have my Roon database restored. As a reference, I have about 2250 CD’s, and the total number of tracks is rougly 30.000.

I really hope this process can be improved, so that a full restore would run in less than 4 hours (and I think I am very reasonable here).

My setup :
Streamer (Pink Faun 2.16) running Roon Core on its 1st drive (250GB SSD)
The streamer has a 2nd local drive of 4TB (previously Seagate 4GB spinning drive, after upgrade 4TB Samsung SSD)
My Roon backups are made twice a weak, on a NAS available in my home network.

Would it be better to make a Roon backup on the same SSD drive the Roon Core is installed, and make a disk backup of this 1st drive. Would this speed things up for a restore to (be able to) find it sinformation on the same local disc, without the local network (1Gbps etthernet) being a bottleneck?

Any other advice/suggestionq?

I am glad all went well, but I definitely would not like going through this process again (fearing/imaging that something would go wrong after 89% of the restore process (as an example)

Looking forward to your advice

Dirk

Just as a point of reference, we have about 7,000 albums, 115,000 tracks, and a recent restore only took about 30 minutes. Backup saved on a NAS, restored to a Mac Mini connected via gig Ethernet.

So I don’t think your experience is a common one.

That is already very positive news.

Now only to find out why it took so long at my side.
Did I do something wrong?
There’s one thing I forgot to mention in my inital message.
When I restored my 'music drive (the 2nd 4TB SSD drive), Roon had imported my complete selection (2250 CD’s) . So all my CD’s where shown as new in ‘Album’ view.
I started my restore of the Roon databese after the full completion of copying all my music (and in my case, importing them in the Roon database)
Could it be that it took such a long time because all records had to be ‘corrected’ instead of just rewritten.
If so, what should I have done different.
Dirk

I’ve done a 6000 album restore many times and there is no way it happens in 30 minutes.

Perhaps for you. My experience is different.

Restore to a brand new core or a rescan?
Again, no way is a restore of that size happening in 30 minutes…

@jhwalker

We’re you actually copying all the data over?
Or
copying over data where the majority already existed in the original location?
Or
Or having Roon reimport all your music?
Or
Restoring the Roon db

Looking for Lan real life speeds the following quote seems to be a good guide.

“A 100mbps lan connection will have a max of 12.5 Mbyte/sec transfer rate. But depending on your router you may have less. A gig lan max is 125Mbyte/sec, but depending on you HD you will get less. Most 7200 rpm drive are around 50-60 mbyte/sec. If you have 5400rpm drive its around 25-30Mbyte”

So assuming 6000 albums in lossless flac is approx 2tb to 3tb let’s call it 2.5tb the sum is

2500000 mbytes / 125mybtes (max lan throughput ignoring disk limitations) = 20000 seconds eg 5.5 hours but in reality probably longer.

Just trying to understand what you are seeing?

Restoring the Roon db - just exactly like the original poster stated:

“As I replaced my regular hard disk for an SSD in my music streamer, I needed to restore my Roon Core database.

Ok, I misinterpreted your reply, sorry.

“Just as a point of reference, we have about 7,000 albums, 115,000 tracks, and a recent restore only took about 30 minutes. Backup saved on a NAS, restored to a Mac Mini connected via gig Ethernet.”

@support can you chime in here? A 27 hour restore is clearly not normal so this is something that should be diagnosable.

I have been contacted by Eric Stewart - Roon Support, requesting to upload information in a shared dropbox.
However, when I try to respond to Eric at email address community@roonlabs.com, I receive the following error message .
Thanks for your guidance to solve this.

Hello [email address removed],

We’re writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (community) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren’t able to post:

• You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
  • The owner of the group may have removed this group.
  • You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
  • This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at https://support.google.com/a/roonlabs.com/bin/topic.py?topic=25838.

Thanks,

roonlabs.com admins

Hey @anon90297517,

I’ve removed your email address from your message above so it does not get picked up by spammers.

Let’s flag @eric here to follow up with you. Stay tuned!

Hi @anon90297517 ---- Thank you for the follow up and @RBM thank you for flagging me down here.

Dirk, it sounds like you may have responded to the email notification that you receive when someone tags you in a post here on the community site. In order to respond to me directly, you’ll want to hit “reply” on the PM I sent you.

Thanks!
-Eric

1 Like

With the help of Roon Support, I have been able to identify my NAS as the probable cause of the ‘slow’ restore.
Although my Synology NAS does not report any specific problem, a test with another (Synology) NAS, proved to be much, much faster, about 40minutes.
I will need to deepdive into my NAS to figure out what is really wrong with it, but it clearly is NOT a Roon problem.
Thanks again to Eric Stewart in guiding me in the right direction.

As such, this case can be closed.

Dirk

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.