How to keep Tidal and My Own Library seperate

Hi,
Although I’m continuing to convert all my CD collection to FLAC , I may still be old fashioned and keep things sorted meaning albums should stay as albums and favorite tracks can be grouped into playlists. I was very happy with the Roon Overview screen which shows me immediately latest albums imported into my own library.
I just started using Tidal. After clicking a few tracks as favorite in the car when using Tidal, at home I was surprised to see these tracks as “Recently Added” in Roon. Yes there is a small Tidal icon on the corner. This is definitely not something I want. After having several hundred favorite tracks on Tidal I won’t be able to see my own recently added albums any more easily.
For me My own library is my own stuff and Tidal is a streaming service on its own. So when I click the Tidal screen I want to see my Tidal favorite tracks, but not mixed into my own library. Probably many of the Roon users think exactly the opposite. I’m somehow married to Roon with a lifetime subscription, but there is no guarantee that I will have a similar relationship with Tidal over the years. Why to mix things together and create a mess?
I wasn’t able to find any solution by checking settings. Of course some of you will say I should use Tidal Desktop App and remove it completely from Roon. Unfortunately Tidal Windows App has no possibility to choose players (zones). I have many USB and Network connected devices to choose from.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I’d be inclined to say that the tight integration with TIDAL is one of Roon’s strong points, but you can filter out TIDAL content:

Album view > Focus > Format > TIDAL > make negative selection (press the + on the green TIDAL label to turn it into minus with red label). Bookmark the result for future use.

1 Like

It’s part of Roons selling point.ansd overall appeal to have streaming services integrated in with you own music. I would not have it any other way it’s the main reason I signed up. Having to browse through different sections to find music is so dull. If you leave Tidal and unlink yout account the Tidal stuff will.disappear it wont be left behind.

I agree using “focus” can get you want you want to see and then add bookmarks to switch to the different “views” of what you are wanting to see.
This is my “bookmark” list:

Hi. The integration with Tidal is certainly a key feature, but the automatic addition of anything played in the Tidal app on any of my devices to the Roon library is a hassle. Even more so as my daughter is sometimes using my Tidal account, so I get her played albums added to my library as well… Is there a way of switching of auto addition while keeping the ability to add albums from Tidal to the library manually? The “Tidal format off” bookmark workaround doesn’t quite cut it.

Im confused by this as you have to add it as a favourite in Tidal to appear in your Roon library, just playing a title does not add it automatically to my knowledge.

It does with me. Any track or album played in the Tidal app on, say, my iPhone, or my daughter’s, will appear in the Tidal “My Music” list (where it can be removed manually), and is consequently automatically added to the Roon overview/album library. There seems to be no way of overriding this automatic addition of played content to “My Music” in Tidal, which is why I was hoping there was a switch somewhere in Roon…

1 Like

Hmm never done that for me unless somethings changed in the API, I have not used the app for a while for playback. Perhaps there is a setting in the Tidal app that’s adding them to favourites automatically. Will try it and see.

Yep, see edited response above, that automatic addition seems to be the case, and I see no way of switching it off in Tidal.

Doesnt do this for me at all. Played lots of tracks in Tidal app don’t show up in Roon or my music I Tidal. Which is to be expected. No idea why it does it for you I don’t have iOS app only android so this is either iOS related bug or your daughter is adding them to favourites.

That is not right. I would raise a support thread. You have to explicitly add Tidal tracks to your roon library, it does not do so in normal operation.

Not true. If you use the Tidal app on phone or tablet and add album or tracks to your library as a favourite it syncs to Roon. This is normal and expected behaviour as Roon syncs with Tidal. What’s happening for op is not this, he’s claiming tracks played in Tidal app are being added to his Tidal library and thus syncing to Roon. The issue is the Tidal app adding music to his Tidal library automatically. This is a Tidal support issue or iOS but as it does not do this on Android .

This is because you are using the same account on both the Tidal app & Roon Is shared between you & your daughter.
If you & your daughter had separate Tidal accounts, it wouldn’t be like this.

A family Tidal membership is your answer.

1 Like

It is sort of a Tidal issue, as it turns out any content being offlined in the Tidal app is automatically favorited. And as such it is added automatically to the Roon library. But I don’t necessarily want my to see my offline Tidal content (stuff I play on the phone when I commute etc.) in the Roon library, so that brings me back to my original point - that it would be good to have a way of switching off the automatic addition of (favorited) Tidal content to the library.

But that’s what I said you have to add it to the library, the mechanism in Tidal is favouriting/taking offline and in roon add to Library.

Sorry misunderstood where you where coming from. Thought you meant can only be added via Roon to your library. :flushed:

1 Like

We are both trying to help that’s the thing ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I cancelled Tidal and went back to Spotify because I was uncomfortable with the level of integration, and the way any Favourite was added to my Roon library automatically. I think I may be a little bit OCD - but I didn’t like giving borrowed / rented music parity with my content. I did enjoy being able to sample music in broadly similar quality to my local files.

Filter / focus is an option of course and would certainly allow you to segregate the collection easily. The OP seems to be having a problem with Tidal if it is auto-favouriting (is this a thing?) anything that’s simply played on the account.

One thing I would observe - requests or suggestions for a ‘lite’ integration option always seem to be met with howls of derision and lack of comprehension in some quarters. But that’s the whole point of Roon! Why would you not want to do that? I think it would be fair enough to offer a toggle switch between LITE (light) integration (play only functionality) and FULL integration (what we have today). That might even tempt me back to Tidal.