How to set up Astell & Kern SE100 USB/DAC as a Roon Endpoint?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
MacOS Running Roon Server (probably latest version).

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Wired Network with content on Apple Time Capsule

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Astell & Kern SE100 as USB/DAC on Macbook Pro 15" USB port through AudioQuest Jitterbug

Description Of Issue
I would like to use an Astell & Kern SE100 as USB/DAC on Roon. Roon recognizes the endpoint (at least its name) but the settings are not right for this device?

Are there any know optimal settings for this device?

Are the settings for a Android based device where you are limited to a maximum bit rate of 48 or 96k?

The device can handle up to 32bit 384KHz NativeDSD up to 11,2 MHz

The settings are to be made on a MacBook Pro 15" that runs Roon Server with this device attached to it through a USB port

Hi @Richard_Kalmeijer,

Can you please share a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio tab (which shows this device) and also a screenshot of your Device Setup info for this zone? You can access the device setup tab in the Audio screen by pressing the “cogwheel” icon next to the SE100 and then pressing Device Setup.

What exactly do you mean by “the settings are not right”? Can you clarify? Is this affecting MQA content or is just the sample rate different than what you expect it to be? What does Signal Path display, can you share a screenshot of this as well?

Here are the screenshots. My doubts are in the settings around DSD (convert to PCM) and MQA decoding

HI @Richard_Kalmeijer,

Thank you for sharing those screenshots. Under DSD Playback Strategy, I would try DoP. As for MQA support, we have been unable to determine this information from the manual, you should reach out directly to Astell & Kern for more information in this aspect.

Found the info here: https://us.astellnkern.com/blogs/news/astell-kern-adds-mqa-support-to-latest-line-of-high-resolution-portable-players

I assume this means I put the setting to decoder only?

Hi @Richard_Kalmeijer,

Thank you for sharing that article. Since it appears that A&E lists this DAC as a “Full Decoder” you will want to set the zone to MQA Decoder + Renderer in Device Setup.

SE100 can do Native DSD :wink: (Win10 / ASIO drivers)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.