How to setup a static ip on the IPhone

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 64 bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Fritzbox in bridgemode to linksys router with dd-wrt installed

PC IP: 192.168.178.253

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Ipad Pro - Audioquest Cobalt Connected via lightswitch to camera
Description Of Issue

Roon is searching for IP 192.168.178.2. However my pc adres is 192.168.178.253. How can I change those Ip adress manual in Roon on my IPad?

1. Settings > WiFi
  2. Click the circled „i“ to the right of the Network name (Info?)
  3. Scroll down to „configure IP“ and tap the „Automatic“ to change it to manual
  4. Enter the ip address and mask

I have internet on my IPAD. The static IP on my Ipad is 192.168.178.239
And the static IP of my PC is 192.168.178.253
Those numbers are assigned in my dd-wrt router using the mac address
This is how my static internet works: every single device with its own unique mac address has its own static ip

The thing is: while Roon on my IPAd is in the Choose your Roon Core mode it is looking for 192.168.178.2 all the time

Weird is, sometimes in a few seconds it gives 192.168.178.253 and I have to click fast to ok and then I am inside, else it stays on 192.168.178.2 and I can wait forever…

How can I set that 192.168.178.253 is always be used by Roon?

I don’t think you can, the iPad is does a discovery process to look for the core, and it’s usually pretty close to instantaneous. I don’t know why you feel you need to use static addressing, it just makes more work.

A static IP makes a home network more stable then DHCP. But I think for me a crucial option is missing: selecting the network settings where roon has to search the main server and in my opinion it is really embarrasing Roon does not have such a tool build inside the app. The only way is to buy a separate laptop where I can save the core.

Hi @Aljoge,

Roon uses multicast for discovery, so I would take a look at your DDWRT router and make sure that multicast is active and perhaps try toggling IGMP Proxying/IGMP Snooping, as these have helped with discovery issues in the past.

With that said though, I don’t think I’ve seen the behavior you describe of Roon searching for a specific IP, generally the only IPs that appear on that page are the ones of the Cores on the network, what does the 192.168.178.2 IP map to, is that another device running Roon?

This really helped me out. multicast was disabled and I played a bit with IGMP Proxying, and Roon connection was established.

1 Like

Hi @Aljoge,

Glad to hear my suggestions helped! Hope you have a continued enjoyable Roon experience!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.