How to speed up Roon?

I have a Nucleus + with a 4TB internal SSD and a 4TB Disc drive connected to the Nucleus. I have nearly 600,000 songs and over 47,000 albums. Roon constantly seems sluggish, both playing songs and searching. The new update 1.8 seems worse in this regard. Is there anything I can do to speed up Roon apart from deleting thousands of albums? Roon is currently almost unusable.

2 Likes

just a thought, are all your albums in the same location? what I’m getting at is you can ignore some paths in your music directory, so for instance if you have some directories that house music you want to keep but don’t really play much, you could ignore them, in my case I ignored my Holiday music. My guess is things might be a bit quicker with less music for Roon to sort through all the time.

What format are your files - all that on 4TB?

Re performance, how much ram?

Thanks, my albums are split between 2 4TB drives, one internal SSD and a HHD plugged into a USB on the Nucleus. I don’t have any sub directories that I could ignore.

Further to this post, there was a a new update to Roon 1.8 today, I just updated and Roon seems quite a a bit zippier :slight_smile:

Thanks, my albums are split between 2 4TB drives, one internal SSD and a HHD plugged into a USB on the Nucleus, mostly flac and some MP3. I’ve got 32GB on my Mac.

Sorry, I meant how much ram in the Nucleus?

Standard with 8GB

With a library that size it’s highly likely you’re pushing the limits with RAM - I’d double the RAM and also ensure it’s the fastest RAM that motherboard can handle.

thanks, is the ram easily upgradable?

I imagine it is, but not having owned a Nucleus, hard to comment as I’ve no idea in what way, if any, the standard NUC internals are differently configured, what constraints the case etc imposes.

There are a few threads on forum, this one should help:

I don’t think 600k tracks is going to push it at 8gb on Roon OS.

Even if it was pushing it, a RAM upgrade won’t speed you up on Roon OS. It’ll just prevent a crash when the memory is exhausted.

When did you get this unit working? With that many files (I’m assuming most of the 600k are your files), you may still be doing audio analysis.

Cheers danny, I’ve had the Nucleus+ nearly 18 months, adding music to it every day :slight_smile:

can you take some videos of the slowness you describe?