How will a Synology DS415play work with my ROCK?

Hi. I use a Synology DS415play to store my music, but Roon Core runs on an iMac i7. Would the Synology run Core or ROCK and still stream music? If so, how would the speed compare to that of my iMac and a NUC i5 or i7 running ROCK? Thanks.

@Andrew_Stein While the Synology might scrape by - it will ultimately depend on how large your music library is, how many streams you have running simultaneously and what DSP options you are using. The Rock option is a much better bet but again the model will depend on the above needs.

Hi,

I have my music library on a Synology 1513+ and run Roon Core on an Intel NUC7i7. The setup runs very well I have no complaints.

I have quite a few ripped SACDs some of which are multi-channel. When playing these back into a two channel system the Roon DSP uses quite a lot of the i7’s processing horsepower. I wouldn’t be able to do this on the NAS.

If you will need much DSP then I’d recommend going with running your Core on a separate machine.

My understanding is that you can’t run ROCK on a Synology NAS. You can have a separate Intel i3/i5/i7 NUC running ROCK which can access your music files on the Synology NAS.

I would think an Intel i7 NUC would more than match, maybe better, the speed of your iMac given the ROCK is a dedicated unit without the overheads of more general purpose device.

I was using a DS216play, but have switched to a DS218plus with larger hard drives, with my Intel i7 NUC.

Some NAS will run roon, some will do it with some degree of competence and others will just scrape by for basic use, but wont cope with large libraries or DSP operations. QNAP have faster and higher spec CPU options than Synology but higher end options will cost a lot more.

NUC and ROCK on the other hand will beat most NAS options for running a Roon Core hands down.

In fact with HDD’s up in the 10+TB range now a NAS is really not needed for just a music storage location.

A NAS with a suitable configuration is needed if you want to protect against a drive failure. All of my NAS units are 2 bay with mirrored 4Tb or 8Tb drives.

I’ve had to recover from hard drive failures twice in the last five years. I also have the music file contents of my NAS replicated onto a normal system dive, plus a USB portable drive, plus a NAS and normal system drive at another location. I don’t want to lose anything!

I never said a NAS isn’t a good place for a backup or a similar second drive with backups being done… just that a NAS as NAS’s go were mainly to consolidate a number of drives to give more space and some redundancy - you still need a backup plan even if you have a NAS … I have 2 NAS that one is a backup of the main and a set of disk that I have offline that are a 3rd backup.

A NAS is not a backup…nor is any amount of redundancy in a single box. Ive seen whole raid arrays trashed in seconds with power issues or corruption.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.