Roon Extension Manager for Windows [Deprecated]

Hi @Jan_Koudijs,
I confirmed that the “whoami” command is returning the name of the new administrative userID (and that the old user account was deleted). This time when I ran the installer I captured the text it displayed. (Note that “roon” is the userID of the old account that I deleted.)

Downloading node-v6.11.1-x64.msi…
######################################################################## 100.0%
OK

Downloading Git-2.13.3-64-bit.exe…
######################################################################## 100.0%
OK

Installing Node.js…
OK

Installing git…
OK

Installing Roon Extension Manager…
npm WARN deprecated node-uuid@1.4.8: Use uuid module instead
C:\Users\roon\AppData\Roaming\RoonExtensions
-- roon-extension-manager@0.6.1 (git+https://github.com/TheAppgineer/roon-extension-manager.git#4109049b268109ffd4f2ee6cb3c941bcc0b689b5) +-- node-api-extension-installer@0.6.1 (git://github.com/theappgineer/node-api-extension-installer.git#be042487070dff7806ec3d7582d15989b5b5ee7c) | +-- mkdirp@0.5.1 | |– minimist@0.0.8
| ±- node-api-extension-runner@0.2.2 (git://github.com/theappgineer/node-api-extension-runner.git#d433d0da42edbf23dccad6f8340bbd03ca3e58d6)
| -- tar@3.2.1 | +-- chownr@1.0.1 | +-- minipass@2.2.4 | |– safe-buffer@5.1.1
| ±- minizlib@1.1.0
| -- yallist@3.0.2 +-- node-api-time-input@0.1.0 (git://github.com/theappgineer/node-api-time-input.git#04ef452ca5c575dc72f51a1b15681105299df613) +-- node-roon-api@0.0.1 (git://github.com/roonlabs/node-roon-api.git#caca92e99fd6becfc97761d32333cf4cd914b438) | +-- ip@1.1.5 | +-- node-uuid@1.4.8 |– ws@1.1.5
| ±- options@0.0.6
| -- ultron@1.0.2 +-- node-roon-api-settings@1.0.0 (git://github.com/roonlabs/node-roon-api-settings.git#67cd8ca156c5bcd01ea63833ceaaec6d6a79654d)– node-roon-api-status@1.0.0 (git://github.com/roonlabs/node-roon-api-status.git#504c918d6da267e03fbb4337befa71ca3d3c7526)

Installing Updater…
C:\Users\roon\AppData\Roaming\RoonExtensions
-- roon-extension-manager-updater@0.2.0 (git+https://github.com/TheAppgineer/roon-extension-manager-updater.git#a1d0fe355d809ba93f4ad4975d162a82fb91d423)– node-api-extension-installer@0.4.0 (git://github.com/theappgineer/node-api-extension-installer.git#043c0851ae8394a58b2a04778dd9ffa4dd78cd71)
±- mkdirp@0.5.1
| -- minimist@0.0.8 +-- node-api-extension-runner@0.2.2 (git://github.com/theappgineer/node-api-extension-runner.git#d433d0da42edbf23dccad6f8340bbd03ca3e58d6)– tar@3.2.1
±- chownr@1.0.1
±- minipass@2.2.4
| -- safe-buffer@5.1.1 +-- minizlib@1.1.0– yallist@3.0.2

Configuring service…
Service “roon-extension-manager” installed successfully!
Set parameter “DisplayName” for service “roon-extension-manager”.
Set parameter “AppDirectory” for service “roon-extension-manager”.
Set parameter “AppStdout” for service “roon-extension-manager”.
Set parameter “AppStderr” for service “roon-extension-manager”.
Set parameter “AppEnvironmentExtra” for service “roon-extension-manager”.

Starting service…
roon-extension-manager: START: The operation completed successfully.

Roon Extension Manager installed successfully!
Select Settings->Extensions on your Roon Remote to manage your extensions.

Press any key to continue . . .

Hi @Jan_Koudijs,

I found the solution! It took some detective work to figure it out, but the solution was actually very simple.

It seems that the installation under the old user left behind a system environment variable (NPM_CONFIG_PREFIX) pointing to the old user directory:
environment variables2

All I had to do was uninstall everything according to your instructions, then go to Control Panel\System and Security\System then Advanced System Settings, then Environment Variables. Under “System Variables,” I highlighted “NPM_CONFIG_PREFIX” then clicked “Delete.” After that, I reinstalled normally, and everything went to the correct location!

It’s quite likely that I caused the problem by not un-installing Git/Node.js under the old user account before re-installing Roon Extension Manager under the new account. However, you might want to add this step to your uninstall instructions just in case.

Thanks again for creating such a great addition to Roon!

2 Likes

Good detective work @Andy_Spinks :+1:

This is a weak point in the installer. It doesn’t touch the environment variable in case it already exists, this doesn’t work if you want to install for a different user (as you found out the hard way).

I will update the uninstall instructions, as a workaround, and will improve the installer in a future update.

Thanks for your report.

1 Like

Hi, i have a general problem with the extension manager.
From time to time… it disappears.
And the only solution i have found is to repeat every time the complete uninstallation procedure, and then re-install it.
Any idea why this happens?

NOTE: i’m on a windows 7 PC.

Hi @Niccolo_Terzi,

If you upload the log file (%AppData%\RoonExtensions\roon-extension-manager.log) next time this happens, then I will have a look.

Hi Jan, thanks. So i understand that it’s not a common behavior…

I have had other reports regarding stability issues on Windows. Difficulty is that I cannot test long term stability myself. So if you, or someone else, runs into this issue we have to find out what is causing this. Checking the log file, the state of the service and the settings of the Extension Manager are then the first things to look at…

Any update on this ?

A recent update of the Roon API broke compatibility with Node.js 6.x. As this version was still used by the Windows installer it required an update to be usable again. The v0.5.2 installer can now be downloaded via the “latest releases” link in the first post of this thread. If you previously installed the Extension Manager with the old installer you can just run the new one, there is no need for an uninstall.

Where do I add extensions that aren’t listed in the extension manager? Danny has just made an extension for Devialet Phantom and I don’t know where to save it so the extension manager recognises it.

Hi @Jan_Koudijs

I’ve tried to reinstall the extension manager (for some reason it was not working and i had noticed that it was an older version).

anyway: i got this message
2019-12-24_100535

and, once started roon:

after a succesfull install, i received this message yesterday when trying to install the web controller extension. i have today tried to reinstall everything, but that’s there again.
i cannot install/uninstall any extension

any help please :slight_smile:

Nicco

The log file stored at %AppData%\RoonExtensions\roon-extension-manager.log might give a hint on what happened. Can you upload it somewhere? Then I will have a look.

Hi @Jan_Koudijs

i could not find the RoonExtension folder.
in fact, in the uninstall procedure i did not remove it, because it was not there.

then, i’ve found out that it does exist, but in admin account of the PC.
so, basically this is a problem of my PC: after a serious crash some time ago, there have been an account corruption, i had to create new accounts, and move all the stuff. but after that, i don’t know why, it happens that some action in my normal user account are done “as though” i were the admin account.
anyway, it’s a mess, i think i’ll have to make a fresh new OS installation. … next year…

so, don’t bother, thanks anyway. :slight_smile:

I have the exact same problem. I’ll see if I can get hold of the log file. Merry Christmas!

It might be necessary to re-install the Extension Manager. Download the latest Windows Installer (link is in the first post) and run it as administrator. There is no need to uninstall first.

1 Like

Here’s a link to the log file:

And here’s a screenshot of the warnings occuring during installation of REM

The warnings are expected, it is the Devialet Phantom Volume extension that got corrupted. To recover:

• Enter services in the Windows Search field (taskbar) and open the Services app
  • Scroll down to the Roon Extension Manager entry and stop it
  • Open a Command window
  • Enter: npm uninstall -g roon-extension-devialet-phantom-volume
  • Start the Roon Extension Manager service again
  • Re-install the Devialet Phantom Volume extension
1 Like

Thanks a lot for a great Christmas present! Works like a charm now.

1 Like

Hi.
I had a problem with the extension manager.
Core on a Win 10 PC.
I’ve been using the extension manager for some time.
2 days ago, suddenly the PC started to slow down. i checked on the task manager, and i found dozes (hundreds?) of node.js processes eating up 70% of CPU and RAM. and there were also an equal number of command prompt processes.
I had to uninstall Node.js: everithing is ok now.

Anyway: possible reasons for this?
any suggestion about how to proceed?
can i reinstall node.js, or do i have to uninstall the extension manager and install it again?
thanks

Maybe the time is right to upload the log file, I will have a look at it. You find the log file in %AppData%\RoonExtensions\roon-extension-manager.log