HQ Player 4 + Roon on QNAP TS-473 = frequent dropouts

Before switching to running Roon on my QNAP TS-473, I previously ran it on the same PC that ran HQ Player. I never had any dropout issues on my wireless N network streaming hi-res music up to DSD512 from my NAS. Now that I have Roon running on the TS-473 I get frequent drop outs. I have confirmed with the developer of HQ Player that Roon is not sending the music data fast enough which is causing timeouts. Since nothing else in my system has changed (pc hardware, network, etc) aside from running Roon on the TS-473 I have to believe there is some issue with this configuration. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi @tboooe,

Does the same issue occur if you bypass HQPlayer and output directly to the endpoint? Does this issue only occur when sending DSD files via HQPlayer and lower sample rates work as expected? What is the reported processing speed in Signal Path?

@noris thank you for the reply. This issue seems only related to HQP. It happens when I play any kind of file (FLAC, DSD, etc) at varying sample rates. I do not see any processing speed in the Signal Path. I do not do any DSP in Roon.

Hi @tboooe,

How is your network setup here? Can you let me know the model/manufacturer of your networking gear and how the QNAP and PC running HQPlayer are connected? If HQPlayer is installed on the PC and Roon is sending the content to the PC via WiFi, this could be the source of your issue. Before, HQPlayer was on the same PC as the Core, but now you have added another “hop” to the setup and a stable, fast network is much more important, a Wireless N router may not be up to the task.

I misspoke. I have a wireless AC network. I am using a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router where my NAS is wired to. The PC uses a dLink DAP-1650 wireless bridge. With this setup I am able to easily stream 1080p movies so I am confident it can handle music files. When I had HQP and Roon installed on the same PC, music was still being transmitted wirelessly from the NAS using the same networking gear I mentioned. Note, that even with standard resolution (16, 44.1) FLAC files this dropout is happening with HQP.

Hi @tboooe,

This is often not the case. Roon does not use the same protocol as streaming movies, it is actually quite different and I would not use this as an indicator. Movie streaming often has huge buffer sizes, but this is not possible for high-resolution audio, as packets dropping will cause the entire audio stream to stop.

Yes, but it was going NAS -> Roon Core -> HQPlayer on the same PC. Now, you have added one more hop here: NAS -> Roon Core -> Network -> HQPlayer. If the network is not up to this task, it would explain the behavior you’re seeing.

This is useful information. First of all, I would double check to make sure you have “enable smart connect” disabled on your Nighthawk router as this setting can sometimes case issues with Roon (as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices).

Next, I would verify what the behavior is like with the PC connected directly to the router, bypassing the DAP Wireless bridge. If everything works without issue with these changes, you have identified the issue.

@noris I am not sure I understand your assertion that its my network. My original configuration also used wireless.:

NAS >> wireless AC >> Roon >> HQP (Roon and HQP on same PC)

Now the configuration is:

NAS >> Roon >> wireless AC >> HQP

If I am able play DSD512 source material transmitted wirelessly when Roon is on the same PC as HQP, I would think that I would be able to at least play FLAC 16/44.1 material when Roon is installed on my QNAP. Even with the additional “hop” as you described it, I cannot believe this would have so much overhead that my AC network could not handle sending 16/44.1 material.

@tboooe - Can I please ask you to try connecting the laptop to the router instead of the Wireless bridge as a temporary test? Sometimes bridge devices have issues with bandwidth and I would like to verify this aspect before proceeding further, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.