Build 94 HQ Player connection problems [SOLVED]

Continuing the discussion from Roon 1.1 (Build 94) is live!:

I’m having considerably more difficulty with Roon/HQplayer stopping during playback after upgrading to Build 94. I seldom froze in build 88. Now I’m freezing nearly every 3 tracks. Its pretty much unusable.

Robert

1 Like

Just wanted to (knock on wood) mention that the Roon upgrade had landed quite agreeingly in my setup, running smoothly from first note without any hickups…

Wish I could say the same. My library has been up converted to DSD 128,
Prior to this update I would get a few seconds of audio here and there.
Now I get none…
Tidal works fine, non DSD Files work as well.
No problem HQ direct.
Bummed…

1 Like

The only issue I’m having with build 94 is intermittent disconnect when playing native DSF files. No issues with PCM converted to DSD256.

I’m still getting a lot of disconnects when manually switching tracks or albums with latest Roon update. The break link seems to work most of the time. Wasn’t sure if there was also a new HQPlayer build or beta build to also help the disconnect problem.

Same here, I’m actually getting more disconnects than before. If I switch tracks halfway through to another, I can pretty much guarantee it will disconnect. In build 88 it was random, but now it’s worse.

Mine still seems to be random. I used the think it happened more when switching from Tidal tracks to Local tracks or vise-versa but overall it just seems random. If I just let an album play, it seems to work. It’s the switching tracks that causes the problems.

I also notice more disconnects than before changing tracks with PCM or DSD files.

Yes, I seem to be able to get in three or four track changes before I get a disconnect, didn’t happen with prior build.

Thanks guys,

I still get disconnects using the transport controls, particularly in Tidal or sometimes when switching to a new album, but haven’t had one in Build 94 during continuous play.

Let’s drop a flag for @brian to see these data points.

I appreciate how annoying this is. From a practical standpoint, what we need to make progress on this problem is a set of steps that we can follow in our test environment that reliably reproduce a failure.

If we get a list of steps to follow, and it makes the problem appear in front of us, I will make sure that it gets worked on immediately.

We did many, many tests on this setup before release, including many hundreds of actuations of transport controls and many hours of continuous play of the full range of content formats, radio, and TIDAL. By the end, we could not break it. Many emails went back and forth with Jussi (HQPlayer’s maintainer) late last week and into the weekend trying to understand where things were going wrong, and every potential fix he proposed was integrated into Build 94.

So, in the interest of making progress, I would appreciate anyone who is having problems and can answer the following:

• What platform is your Roon server running on?
  • What platform is HQPlayer running on?
  • Are they on the same machine?
  • Is NAA involved? If so, describe the setup.
  • What DAC are you using?
  • What are the DAC settings in HQPlayer?
  • What filters are selected in HQPlayer?
  • What steps do you need to take to cause the problem to happen? Be specific as to which file formats you are playing, buttons you are pushing, and everything that you did between the beginning of your playback session and the failure.

Keep in mind when answering that the objective is for me to take this list of information, replicate your setup as closely as possible here, and see the failure.

And finally, thanks in advance for the help in narrowing this down.

1 Like

Here’s my info:

Roon Build 94: Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.2 late 2015 27" iMac
HQPlayer 3.12: same machine
No NAA
M2Tech HiFaceTwo to AT-DHA3000 DAC
2 Channels, DAC bits 24, SDM Pack none
poly-sinc-short NS4 96000
Start playing either Tidal or Local tracks and hit forward to next track while playing current track. Or select another album, local or Tidal, while current track is still playing.

Doesn’t make a difference what filter setting are set. This happens even with no filter or upsampling.

Not sure if I’ve seen these in latest build yet but was there in last: Besides lost connection, I’ve occasionally seen the track progress bar moving and looks like track is playing but no sound. Also had opposite, track is playing fine but progress bar never started.

I’m currently using build 94 on a headless server, being controlled by an ipad pro running build 88 and playing onto a dual PC JPLAY setup that is running HQ Player. That was a bit of a mouthful :wink:

Build 94 appears to have fixed quite a few of the HQP glitches which caused it to crash (although I am getting HQP crashes with random higher bit rate tracks - I have yet to investigate where the problem is on that though) but whenever I use the transport buttons fwd/back the track generally moves onto the appropriate track but doesn’t play. I then wait for something to happen. Realise nothing is going to happen. Press play and then the song starts.

I am assuming that this isn’t an expected behaviour and that if the previous song is playing and I hit next, the next song should just start. I believe that this also happened to me with build 88 on the server.

Is this isolated to me or a general observance?

I’ve merged a number of threads into this one because they all look like the same issue. That means that the posts above are not necessarily in chronological order. If you are able to, please post again with the details requested by Brian if you haven’t already done so. With any luck we can shine a brighter light on this for him.

What platform is your Roon server running on?

Mac 10.11.2

What platform is HQPlayer running on?
Are they on the same machine?
Is NAA involved? If so, describe the setup.
What DAC are you using?
What are the DAC settings in HQPlayer?
What filters are selected in HQPlayer?

Roon Library Machine - Mac Mini 2012 - Mac 10.11.2 and a Cubox-i NAA (using Jussi’s image) Auralic Vega DAC. SDM Polysinc -2s, ASD7 5644800 - Pipeline SDM (no CUDA)

Roon Remote Machine - Mac Pro 2009 - Mac 10.10 and a Sonos Sonicorbiter SE as NAA - IFI Micro iDSD DAC SDM Polysinc -2s, DSD5v2 + 256fs 1228800 - Pipeline SDM (no CUDA)

What steps do you need to take to cause the problem to happen? Be specific as to which file formats you are playing, buttons you are pushing, and everything that you did between the beginning of your playback session and the failure.

Playing a variety of high resolution music, both PCM and DSD. I’ll play an album and at some point the track will freeze…sometimes the first track, sometimes a later one. The freeze happens when the track is playing…I’m not currently doing anything.

I should mention that I’m getting similar results with both systems. I make it a track or so before playing stops in the middle of a track. I click volume and disconnect. Usually HQplayer lets go and start the track again. Sometimes HQplayer does not let go and I have to force quite hqplayer and restart. Then I restart the track in Roon.

This afternoon I played an entire Tidal album without a hitch. I don’t think I’ve had a hang up with 16/44 files as well.

So I’m having repeated problems trying to play a DSD64 album…Roon freezes mid track. When I disconnect in roon HQplayer fails to quite. If I try to stop HQplayer with the stop button in the hqplayer interface…spinning wheel of death and I have to force quite. If I force quit and restart HQplayer and go back to roon and click play it goes back to the beginning of the track (doesn’t start where it left off).

I’m going to try the same thing with a high resolution PCM track and see if I get the same sequence.

What platform is your Roon server running on?

Windows 10 on an i7 960 @ 320Ghz with 9GB

What platform is HQPlayer running on? same
Are they on the same machine? yes
Is NAA involved? If so, describe the setup. yes, MacBook Air as NAA with Synology NAS as file source
What DAC are you using? Oppo BDP105D
What are the DAC settings in HQPlayer? Polysinc -2s, DSD5v2 2457600 - Pipeline SDM (no CUDA)
What filters are selected in HQPlayer? polysinc shrt TPDF

What steps do you need to take to cause the problem to happen? Be specific as to which file formats you are playing, buttons you are pushing, and everything that you did between the beginning of your playback session and the failure. Doesn’t seem to matter, for example I played an entire album in 16/44 then chose another track in 16/44 then tried to choose a third it had had disconnected. Almost seems more time dependent than choice of tracks. Roughly occurs at about the same time in ~20 minutes, but I haven’t timed it to see if it is exactly same time each disconnect. At first I thought it was my screen saver kicking in on the RoonServer machine, but that doesn’t seem to be it.

Mine never freezes during a track, it just won’t play the next one.

Just played a 24/96 album without a hitch…so maybe sending DSD is the problem. I’m pretty sure the problem is at the roon end…my second machine (the mac pro) has been burning in cables for the last six hours…threw in a bunch of high resolution pcm and dsd directly into hqplayer (playing through NAA)…no problem.