HQ Player Integration [SOLVED]

+1

HQPlayer support was one of the main reasons I got Roon…any ETA?

Exactly. I’ll get Roon as soon as HQPlayer integration has been vetted. I’ve suffered enough through HQP’s interface to give up now, because it sounds a lot better than anything else you feed to a DAC. (Well, I haven’t tried Amarra.) Currently I create playlists in JRiver and play them in HQP, but I like to select play order on a whim. So I end up having to dig through 800+ albums with no search function to help, and terrible select and scrolling functions. Oh, and my album art disappeared (in HQP; JRMC has no trouble finding it). It is truly a horror to use while entertaining. Guess what? Albums or anything beginning with “The” are found under, wait for it… “The.” No, I’m not kidding. Roon boffins, please hurry!!
Thanks.

+1

HQplayer deserves Roon front end and vice versa.

1 Like

+1
Much awaited !

It’s good to know that I’m not alone in eagerly anticipating Roon/HQPlayer integration.

While I’m waiting, I drag-n-drop from JRiver to HQPlayer. I find HQPlayer’s library management to be worse than having none at all, so I bypass it completely.

Of course, that arrangement pales in comparison to Roon/HQPlayer… so I refresh this page… often. LOL

1 Like

Just took on an HQ Player trial. My word, I completely understand what the hoopla is all about. Already a life time Roon member, but I will sign up for a HQP license as soon as it is integrated into Roon. Wow! At the moment I am fighting the urge not to sign up for HQP immediately. Must be patient.

One reason I am holding off on an HQPlayer licence is that there are separate licenses for Windows/Mac and Linux and I expect to migrate to RoonServer Linux when it is available.

After what I have just heard, that may be all the impetus I need to remain in the Windows domain.

I really hope that Jussi will add ALAC support to HQPlayer sometime soon. Once that’s a fait accompli, I’ll happily purchase a license … but I really don’t relish having to transcode everything in my library just to be able to use HQP.

Still under ROON 60-day trial, if ROON lifetime member got HQP license bundle I will jump into lifetime SHIP!!!

I’m about to install Roon for a trial on the basis that it will soon be available with HQ Player integration and, all going well, I’ll sign up to a membership as soon as the integration is available.

Ray

Please check out Roon, it is fantastic. But, I don’t think any firm timetable has yet been discussed/announced on such an integration, only that the parties were in discussion.

An interesting post from @Outlaw regarding a response from HQPlayer as to existing HQPlayer licenses and Roon.

I’ll set a notification for @danny or @mike as to whether there is any news about licensing or integration.

Edit: @Outlaw has provided copies of the emails now in the above thread. They seem consistent with there being no decisions about licensing by anyone at this stage.

I thought Roon was working on HQplayer integration? If Roon was integrating with HQplayer would they not be talking to each other. By the emails it says if/when /or how HQplayer integrates with Roon has me Questiong if this is happening?

Hi Jason,

Danny referred to it above as being in the “short term schedule” so far as Roon are concerned. We’ve also been told above that Jussi has provided code to Roon, which seems very promising.

It may be that neither company is in a position to confirm anything publicly until they’ve reached agreement between themselves. I think it would be tremendously synergistic for both Roon and HQPlayer if integration occurred.

What is short term ??? I see it being discussed as far back as the beginning of June.

That post is inaccurate.

My understanding is that Roon and HQPlayer aren’t being integrated in the sense of being tightly bound together as a single entity. Rather they will continue to exist as standalone applications with Roon able to control HQPlayer through its control API; as such there are no licensing dependencies. That is the way Muso and HQPlayer coexist. The only way I could see a licensing dependency under that arrangement would be if a product bundle were to be made available.

Ray

1 Like

Not necessarily, @Ray_Paice.

Roon and Tidal are both separate licences but are integrated.

It doesn’t mean that Roon and HQP will be similar but options do exist.

Here are the words of Jussi, the man behind HQPlayer, in response to a query I sent him;

"At the moment HQPlayer is licensed independently. What ever front-end is used to control HQPlayer via it’s control API doesn’t have effect on HQPlayer licensing.

So I’d say I share your understanding.

Naturally there are theoretical future possibilities. But non-existent things are not worth speculating."

Based on that statement and on my understanding of the word integrated;

Free Dictionary

I don’t believe Roon and HQPlayer are currently being integrated, rather, HQPlayer has an exposed control API (I would guess that is the code that has been discussed as being supplied to Roon) that Roon can use to control HQPlayer, which is actually all that is needed. The good news is that whilst an integration of Roon and HQPlayer would be a significant and time-consuming undertaking, to hook up Roon and HQPlayer via the API shouldn’t be a big deal and it has already been done my Muso, which can control HQPlayer.

Ray

@Ray_Paice has it right. We are not bundling or combining the two in any way. HQ Player and Roon will communicate over an API HQ Player provides. If your HQ Player has that same API, I don’t see why you’d have to buy another license. If it doesn’t, then of course you will need to get the HQ Player that does.