HQ player-what a colossal Pain!

Note: ROCK isn’t for those looking to filter or resample audio by routing it through HQPlayer. Only the Roon OS can be installed on a ROCK, not the required HQPlayer app. Fortunately, Roon now features many DSP options natively and these will run on the core i7 NUC.

Actually, you can run a two system solution. Rock can be on a NUC and then you can have HQPlayer on a different machine.

1 Like

There is a similar image like ROCK, but is called HQPlayer OS. It is full OS with HQPlayer Embedded. One can use it together with Roon (ROCK or otherwise).

2 Likes

More about HQ Player OS here.

Just to clarify @jussi_laako, is HQ Player OS able to run Roon Server for Linux, or is it a closed image running only HQ Player Embedded and NAA ?

It is minimal OS for running HQPlayer Embedded and NAA only. It doesn’t have the software components needed by Roon Server. Although you can modify and try to add other software, it is quite hard due to lack of package management, etc. It is really like a device firmware. So not worth the trouble. If you’d like to have both on the same machine, I’d suggest starting with one of the supported Linux distributions, like Ubuntu Server, minimal Debian 9 or Fedora 29 Minimal instead.

1 Like

Jumping on this thread.

My system consists of the Antipodes CX & EX that connect to an Aqua La Scala MkII Optologic DAC. The R2R DAC can do 384 PCM or up to DSD128 vi USB.

Ive just had a go of upsampling everything to DSD128 within roon with great results. My question is, is Hqplayer worth considering and will it run well on my CX? (I have the newer i7 machine)

The following states that it can be installed on my CX but just wanted to know what its like in the real world https://antipodes.audio/hqplayer-naa/

Im not that technical but I know someone that cold set it up remotely for me if desired

Thanks
Bill

I just got an EX and have been using HQPlayer. You will need to get an embedded license. I use pcm exclusively as my Chord dac deconstructs dsd. I use sinc-m, 768k max, lns15 shaper with auto rate family checked. Runs no problem and also serves up the Roon core. I would think higher dsd rates will be a challenge on the EX but not on the CX. BTW - I sold an mscaler to make the change and it delivers. To my ears the EX with HQP knocks the socks off the mscaler.

1 Like

Very interesting. I wouldn’t be able to upsample anywhere near that, due the the Optologic only going up to pcm 384 or DSD128, however its such a good DAC that I’m not too worried.

Great to hear that it performs better than the mscaler…these Antipodes units really are good.

Have you compared Hqplayer to the Roon upsampling alternative? That would be interesting to know what you think

Thanks

Hi Bill,

I have listened quite a bit to the Roon upsampling and filtering. The sound is not only the type of filter and amount of upscaling but the quality of filter design. I already had my mscaler when @jussi_laako came out with HQP4 and the poly-sinc-long-lp filter. I had listened to quite a few of his previous filters but this one really sparked my interest and I setup a few AB comparison with my mscaler. By the end of the album I couldn’t remember which source I was on and could not hear any real difference. I had commented on this over on Head-Fi and the Chord boys let me have it. I am also a Chord dac user - HugoTT ,Hugo2 and Mojo. I love the Chord sound but I was fed up with the mscaler as it seemed that to get it’s full potential I was going to be forced into buying rfi mitigating equipment. I then heard a lot of good things about Antipodes taking a veil away through the use of low noise components and quality parts. As it could run Roon core and HQP at the same time I thought I would get rid of the mscaler and give it a try. It gave me that upgrade I just did not experience with the mscaler alone. The after market support is also top notch as I am sure you know. I now have no urge to upgrade my dacs and I have a DEFINITE audible improvement. IMHO and to my ears of course.

1 Like

Brilliant…sounds like you know what your doing. I think I’ll give it a go.

I have emailed the guy who remotely installed/set up my Antipodes to see if will set up Hqplayer for me.

Watch this space as I may be asking you some tinkering questions.

Thank you so much for your time and sharing your experiences.

Cheers
Bill

HQPlayer Embedded on the Antipodes is a demo copy which means it shuts down every 30 minutes. You can keep restarting it, every 30 minutes, as often as you like. This gives plenty of opportunity to experiment and decide if you want to purchase the licence.

The HQPlayer licence is applied to the server it is running on and is not transferrable.

1 Like

I did purchase the embedded license even though I had the desktop version license already. I could have played to the free NAA but I like the one box solution. While I have you… my EX is ver 2.7 and it shows 2.8 is available but it won’t upgrade.

1 Like

I have that issue too, I cant upgrade to 2.8 on either of my CX or EX

HI Tony,

Im going to give setting this up a go…but first off, what do select, NAA or ALSA? And do I need to add anything to my EX if the server is added to my CX?

Any other hints or tips regarding set up would be most welcome…ie best set up for 2 channel upsampling performance to either DSD12 or PCM352.8/384. I use and Aqua La Scala MkII Optologic DAC in case that helps.

Sorry for the question but I really need an “idiots guide” lol. Reading the below…I really do have a blank face haha

HQPlayer Configuration Options

HQPlayer Server (server app) and HQPlayer NAA (renderer app) are pre-loaded on Antipodes servers and can be optionally installed by the user.
If you have a single Antipodes server you can run HQPlayer Server using the ALSA Backend option, which does not require the NAA to be installed, or you can use the NAA Backend option which does require the NAA to be installed. If you use the ALSA option you cannot readily switch to a different server/player using the Audio App Switcher.

Thanks
Bill

If you have a Network Audio Adaptor (one of the Rendus/SoTM/other), then you probably should use it and select NAA. You’d use ALSA to support a direct USB connection from a music server (or computer) to your DAC/amp.

Many posts explore preferences for various filters/modulators. You may want to experiment. I generally prefer conversions to DSD. Maybe try poly-sinc-mp-2s for starters, one of the DSD5 modulators, with Bite Rate at DSD128 (5644800). Work your way up to more demanding alternatives until your system can’t handle it. Assuming you can hear any difference, that is. Don’t forget to select your Device in the “ALSA backend” or “Network Audio backend” box.

1 Like

Thank you.

I guess it’s ALSA then as I connect via USB to my DAC. I’m not sure if I also need to add an app to my EX or just my CX.

I will try those suggestions and see how I go. Quite excited to try it but also quite apprehensive.

Apart from what you have stated, do I leave everything else alone?

I’m not too familiar with the Antipodes EX/CX architecture, but can see Antipodes has a fair amount of documentation for setting up Roon. Roon Labs has links. Apparently your EX/CX came with what they need for Roon, pre-installed.
https://roonlabs.com/partners/antipodes

You’ll want to set up a Roon “controller” on a smart phone, tablet, or laptop. So you’d add Roon software to one of those devices. There may be a few hair-pulling moments before it all falls into place.

1 Like

Just going through this now. Where would I fine “one of the DSD5 modulators”?

Sorry for the noob questions

Actually…does this look ok?

Help
Generic
Title
Antipodes
Backend

Output mode

Fixed volume (dBFS)
enabled
Startup volume (dBFS)
Channels
Options
Auto rate family
Log file
enabled
/tmp/hqplayerd.log
DSD sources
Direct SDM
Integrator

SDM-SDM Conversion

Gain +6 dB
SDM-PCM Conversion

Noise filter

PCM settings
1x Filter

Nx Filter

Dither

Sample rate

Rate limit

SDM settings
1x Oversampling

Nx Oversampling

Modulator

Bit rate

Rate limit

ALSA backend
Device

Channel offset
DAC bits
(0 = default)
Buffer time
ms (0 = default) DoP
48k DSD
Network Audio backend
Device

DAC bits
(0 = default)
Buffer time
ms (0 = default) DoP
48k DSD
IPv6
Main Input Library Configuration Speakers Convolution Matrix Backup Restore About Authentication Key Log

No, if it looks like that, the CSS file is missing from the place where it is expected to be. Do the normal pages still look OK? Because both use the same CSS.