HQP NAA - Raspberry Pi

And regarding USB, this is not about bandwidth usage alone, but it is also about being able to keep up with the USB’s isochronous packet schedule in the kernel driver. If any device or other part in the kernel keeps interrupts disabled for too long (typically while handling it’s own interrupt), it may cause audio to miss it’s deadline. With the typical UAC2 isochronous asynchronous transfer, the packet rate is fixed and what the asynchronous part adjusts is amount of data transferred per scheduled packet interval. This is different from devices like M2Tech hiFace (v1) which transfer fixed size packets, but the asynchronous part adjusts the packet rate.

I will try out for fun how hiFace (v1) works on RasPi…

Just stumbled into this topic … its already huge to go over complete thread (i will) but can I know if anyone already done the following? ( / doable ?)

1. Raspberry Pi3B - this is released if anyone already shifted to this new board?
  2. I see RAM on Pi3B is only 1GB. Can this be replaced with 4GB / 8GB?
  3. RoonServer can sit on Pi3B?

Hi Jnan,

I’ve shifted to a CuBox-i as my standard NAA.

The Pi3 offers built in WiFi which may be an attraction for some people, but it preserves the shared bandwidth limit for all USB and Ethernet connections, which has caused clicking with DSD. For that reason people may prefer a different NAA device.

I don’t think there is anyway to upgrade RAM.

The Pi3 cannot run RoonServer.

1. It is released and working fine
  2. No, RAM is fixed. For its purposes, 1GB is plenty though.
  3. No, RoonServer needs to run on an X86 Win/OSX/Linux PC. RoonBridge is available for Armv7 and will run fine on any Pi.

More about RoonBridge in the Knowledge Base

I see! thanks Rene, Andy.
Looks I dont need Pi Stuff. I m on only one stereo equipment guy and i dont think i need to look at Pi stuff correct?

And RoonBridge still needs RoonServer running . Sorry i feel un-educated. I will read some more knowledge bases …

No worries Jnan, we all started somewhere. (I’m still basically there).

This thread is about using a Raspberry Pi as an HQ Player Network Audio Adapter. HQ Player is a high quality software upsampler (among other things) that can be used as a Roon zone. When HQP is selected as a zone then it handles the output and the NAA is how it sends audio over Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

RoonBridge enables Roon to send audio over Ethernet or Wi-Fi to the device on which it is installed. It enables the device to be a Roon Output.

All Roon architectures require a Core and at least one Control and Output. The Core can have it’s own outputs directly from it. The main Roon program is all three; Core, Control and Output. Remotes (Further installations for Windows, Mac on other computers) are Control and Output. iOS is Control only. Android is Control and Output. RoonServer is Core and Output. RoonBridge is Output only.

RoonBridge can be installed on a Pi3 and it can then be chosen as a Zone in Roon and send USB to a DAC.

2 Likes

Thank you!. Will think about this option. Either NUC or have Pi as adapter to stream as ETH output to my Dev

Excellent succinct instructions Rene. Thanks. I’ve also got a HiFiBerry Digi+ with a RPi2.

Everything went well for me until the final step of “apt-get install ./networkaudiod_3.1.1-27_armhf.deb” where I get heaps of lines saying:

“Note, selecting ‘…’ for regex ‘.’”
followed by
“Release ‘networkaudiod_3.1.1-27_armhf.deb’ for ‘…’ was not found”
(where the … is replaced by hundreds of different package names)

I also tried using wget and apt-get install for the newest networkaudiod package but same issue.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

*edit: Actually I discovered an answer is already here. Installed the prebuilt image by Jussi from Signalyst and just edited the config.txt file adding dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi (opening it with textedit on my mac as the build isn’t accessible via ssh)

Now to try and get my head around the combinations of filter and dither options…

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Raspberry Pi3 NAA static issues

As a complete Linux novice I’m enjoying wonderful results with Rpi’s on Roonbridge with various HATs thanks to Rene’s wonderful instructions on the Armv7 thread. Flushed with this success, I thought to try HQP with NAA on a Pi. However, the pre-built Rpi images linked in this and other threads are coming up 404. Would you recommend I roll my own otherwise where can I find these?

@jussi_laako’s download server for NAA related stuff appears to be down for the moment. As this is this place where you’d get both the images and the packages, I’m afraid you’ll have to postpone your plans a bit.

Yay… More listening time! :slight_smile:

@jussi_laako’s download site still appears to be down. Hoping perhaps for an update on when it’ll return :slight_smile:

The packages have been back for about a week now, in a new updated 3.4 version that you can install after upgrading to Stretch:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/

I believe @jussi_laako said that the images will be back as well, but take some more time.

New images are also online now, including image for RasPi3 too.

2 Likes

Does sideloading wpa_supplicant.conf in /boot work for Wifi?

Hi all,

I have a perfectly working install of Roonbridge on a RPi2 with Digiplus hat via spdif. I just want to try PCM up sampling to 24/192.

Can I add NAA to this install so I can trial HQ player or do I need a new SD card and new image of the NAA player.

I tried to read through the thread but couldn’t find specific answer.

If Roon Bridge is running on an OS that you can log in to and install software on then you can install the version of NAA appropriate to your OS and hardware.

The image versions are optimised for particular hardware and are stand alone when written to an SD. They overwrite anything on the SD. You can’t log in to the image version and install anything else.

Also:

• NAA needs Debian Stretch to install/run; so you’ll need to upgrade Your Debian Jessie (or solve the required dependencies manually);
  • NAA and Roon Bridge do not coexist peacefully, as they both need to access Alsa. After playing HQP, NAA does keep its grip, so Roon Bridge cannot gain access (note: I have tried this with earlier versions, not 3.4), so you’ll need to manually stop and start roonbridge.service and networkaudiod.service.

Depending on your comfort level in Linux, flashing the prefab image to a different card may be easier.

I burned the image naa-340-raspberrypi3 image to a fresh SD card & added the overlay for my Dig+. HQP 3.13.3 on Mac sees the NAA and the Digi+ & all is sweetness & light until the music is paused in Roon. The NAA disappears and HQP is unresponsive. Force quit & reboot machine brings it back. Gets a little taxing after a bit.
Which daft thing have I done - any ideas?
Marty

For long time NAA releases the devices when not used. But you need to close HQPlayer, the device is reserved as long as HQPlayer is running to avoid runtime failures.