HQPlayer Configuration Strategy for Various DACs

Correct

Can your CPU do DSD512 with 7ECv2? Which CPU model again?

1 Like

MacMini M1 8gb RAM, I think will have some hiccups :joy: will need an easier config.

1 Like

Try it first. The adaptive rate will help a lot.

Otherwise try 5ECv2

But anyway, the ‘sweet spot’ as mentioned previously is running at DSD256, which your M1 can handle easily

1 Like

Setting up

The sound is louder, much more details, comparing both DSD256 to DSD128.
More layers :cd::heart_eyes::cd::loud_sound::loud_sound::loud_sound:

1 Like

Very nice!

RPi4 with NAA OS worked easy with the iFi?

1 Like

Yes!! Just plug and play

1 Like

Very nice ! RPi4 was a good purchase then ! :slight_smile:

Are you running the iFi in fixed output mode or variable?

Fixed is better if using your integrated amp for the volume

Fixed output by-passes the electronics inside the iFi which is for volume control.

1 Like

Yes! The RPi4 had a rebirth!

Using the fixed volume, just did this feature, reboot with button selected and select fixed.

I was really lucky to find on a classified sale for a new neo for 35% original pricing! Was DSdestiny :joy:?

1 Like

I have a soft spot in my heart for iFi.

I started my HQPlayer journey with iFi micro iDSD - this was a popular HQPlayer classic (especially for DSD512) 5 years ago :smile:

Maybe Neo iDSD is the new classic !

But today there are more options for ‘DSD to analogue’ converters.

Two new ones include SMSL D-6 and Topping E30 II - both with AKM 4493S chip

1 Like

I tried DSD512! No hiccups with DSD5v2.

Honestly I like more DSD256 with the filter you suggested below:

More colors on instruments and details so amazing.
I’m grateful :face_holding_back_tears: where I’m stand.

Thanks all for your support @dabassgoesboomboom

Hi @IgorSki I’m flying on 256!

Using @jussi_laako HQPlayer at its best in my limited understanding :rofl:

6 Likes

Settings look great! And I bet it sounds great !

When you combine Jussi’s recommended hardware (recommended NAA + recommended DAC) the result is usually a great experience !

1 Like

ASDM7ECv2@256x48 is a king ! :slight_smile:

Congrats on your new toys and nice config. now, don’t forget to enjoy the music, hahaha ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more! Enjoying music every day! Literally true! Wish you could be here too! :headphones::rofl:

Check that you have latest firmware also

1 Like

Many thanks @dabassgoesboomboom :pray:t2:! Will also update the NAA to 423 version :pray:t2::headphones:

2 Likes

Thanks UNIX for MacOS!

Etchered NAA naa-423-raspberrypi4.7z

And all is working great!

2 Likes

@Moy, I like the looks of your amp. One comment/suggestion, is there any way to move all that gear on and near the amp to another shelf? That would allow the amp to breathe and also get your dac, etc away from the amps big power supply.

2 Likes

@Moy your screenshot there is for drivers installation, which doesn’t apply to NAA OS.

But you should check firmware of Neo iDSD, which has nothing to do with macOS/Linux/Windows.

1 Like

Hi @Deano I really appreciate your observation :pray:

The AC INFINITY is actually an amplifier cooling fan that keeps the amplifier under 31C all the time. The cabinet has also 2 5cm holes in the back to help airflow. The Ifi Zen Streamer has another fan connected under its base that also keeps it cool. Thank God the ifi NEO is most of the time cool but gets air from the ifi Zen Stream Fan also. The Mac Mini M1 has a fan app that also helps keep it cooler than the average function. Living in Hong Kong we need to optimize space, so here is the whole setup! Any suggestions are appreciated!

4 Likes

I’m a believer in separating components as best you can and allowing good airflow to them. It may or may not make an audible difference and you are often limited to room space issues so do what you can. My setup pic.

3 Likes