HQPlayer Desktop thread

Ok my mistake about timing with ROCm support but you recall before x64gen build existed, UAC2 input got broken.

But there was a time before it got broken that it worked flawlessly.

It’s mostly fixed now with x64gen other than this one issue with auto sample rate switching.

Correct, problems with ext2.

I had to resort to fixed output sample rate with ext2 because I can’t use fixed output sample rate with sinc-L.

With fixed output sample rate with ext2 it works 100% perfectly reliable.

An interesting observation when the garbled music issue happens (its bad FM radio reception sound, music and noise combined) is that I see the apodizing counter in HQPlayer sky rocket very fast.

I wonder if this gives you a clue where the issue is happening?

Does it mean the issue is within HQPlayer itself, not specifically within NAA OS running on the UpBoard Gateway? Or not really?

At least with ext2 and fixed output sample rate, no complaints. It works really well. And ext2 performs spectacularly (obj and subj).

At my desktop I have iPad Pro on stand → UpBoard UAC2 input → HQPlayer → RPi4 NAA OS (battery powered for critical listening) → USB DAC

So on iPad Pro I can run Apple Music, Qobuz app, Tidal app, soon Spotify HiFi app. All play bit perfectly to UAC2 input. Mostly using Apple Music Hi-res Lossless these days.

Would be great for the auto sample rate switching to work properly again, to allow other filters to be used.

I did try RPi4 with UAC2 input from my Mac and iPhone. But didn’t know why the sample rate fixed at 48KHz. Changed macOS’s Audio MIDI setup from 44.1 to 192 but no work, RPi4 always at 48KHz.

The way I did:

1. Added one line on the config.txt file under root directory:
    dtoverlay=dwc2
    then started the RPi4, power provided by Mac’s USB port (type c to c). If using iPhone as the music source the RPi4 must use the other power source like iFi’s iUSB3 then iPhone using camera adapter and USB cable to connect the iUSB3.

2. Added one line in the hqplayerd.xml (under USBStreamer declarations):

<input channels="2" device="uac2" format="auto" name="USB Audio Class 2" pack_sdm="1" period_time="100" type="uac2"/>

then uploaded to HQPlayer OS, reboot.

The input page would show the USB Audio Input selection.

I added dtoverlay=dwc2 line to config.txt

This finally allowed RPi4 UAC2 input to be seen by OS.

hqplayerd.xml already had uac2 input for me (by default).

But @jussi_laako with RPi4 I now have a different issue to my UpBoard Gateway UAC2 input. With RPi4, when the music changes sample rate, music playback sounds either too fast (chipmunk) or too slow. This behaviour doesn’t change, whether HQP output rate is fixed or ‘auto family rate’. So auto sample rate switching is broken with RPi4 but in a different way to UpBoard Gateway.

And the 48k “format” here doesn’t change, even when 44.1 and 96k music is played:

Are you using NAA or HQPlayer OS image?

NAA OS on RPi4.

Will it behave differently with HQP OS? I can try if it’s different.

I had always assumed that inputs behaved the same on NAA OS and HQP OS.

Just tried HQP OS 4.26.2 on RPi4. Same thing.

I start playing a PCM44.1k track and still shows 48k input in ‘format’:

And also tried each of the below separately

Device mode results in same PCM48k

device mode

dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=peripheral

host mode

dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host

otg mode

dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=otg

1 Like

@jussi_laako Is there an ETA for the new Desktop version? I really can’t wait to try the new modulators. Thank you!

Likely less well in this case.

It depends…

I just uploaded new build of the NAA OS image for RPi4. Please give it a try!

1 Like

Still showing same version and date 15-Aug-2021?

Have you hit the browser refresh button or F5?

1 Like

Oops. See it now. Testing now.

Are we supposed to add dtoverlay=dwc2 to config.txt with this new image?

Or not supposed to?

I did with and without anyway and exactly the same issues reported earlier. Format stays fixed at PCM48k

I also tried device mode: dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=peripheral

I assume device mode is what we want, like with UpBoard Gateway ?

If I don’t modify config.txt at all, UAC2 input starts in HQP but “Playback inactive” soundcard never shows up on host device , as per below screenshot

Yes, I guess that is correct.

OK, probably the dwc2 driver would need some fixes like dwc3 needed.

1 Like

New HQP Desktop is out.

ECv2 modulators sound great!

3 Likes

I get this when I try to run the v4,14 (tried uninstalling/reinstalling):
@jussi_laako

I use macOS but seen this same issue reported by Windows users:

HQ Player - Page 885 - Software - Audiophile Style

Jussi mentioned to re-download new installer

Tried re-downloading and reinstalling but still the same error. Will wait and try again later.

You don’t usually announce NAA updates on your website so let me know whenever you want me to test an update!

Same for UAC2 input with UpBoard Gateway.

Always happy to test.

Thanks Jussi, v14, 14 installing correctly now :grinning: