HQPlayer Embedded Discussion [2021-2022]

Ok thanks. Now I have the key to the hidden pathways :grinning:

I had no idea this existed before.

Another question, I want to try NAA image on the UpBoard Gateway with RME ADI-2 input.

But I have another NAA on system (RPi4) connected to my USB DAC for this current testing.

I want to try and use my HQP Desktop 4 on macOS as HQP Server, and use these 2 devices above, as input and output.

I remember you said I need to change one of the NAA if using 2 NAA’s on network in this way.

For NAA image on USB stick for the the UpBoard gateway I’m trying to find the config file in BOOT folder but don’t see it. How would I change this NAA name, so I don’t have two “NAA”.

So now sample rates are changing in all places correctly but I’m getting a fast clicking sound and no music.

And only fast tapping/clicking sound in left channel.

I looked at example config file and the only lines relevant to me (that I can see) are:

<input channel_offset=“4” channels=“2” device=“hw:CARD=DAC58580869,DEV=0” format=“auto” name=“ADI-2 (S/PDIF)” pack_sdm=“1” period_time=“100” samplerate=“0” sync_element=“SPDIF Rate” sync_hctl=“1”/>

Hi @jussi_laako

I removed channel_offset=“4” completely and it works… all sample rates are changing correct, music is playing and the fast tapping/clicking sound is gone.

So I just have:
<input channels=“2” device=“hw:CARD=DAC58580869,DEV=0” format=“auto” name=“ADI-2 (S/PDIF)” pack_sdm=“1” period_time=“100” samplerate=“0” sync_element=“SPDIF Rate” sync_hctl=“1”/>

What is that channel_offset for ? Is that specific to Pro model, which is why it is different to my non-Pro ADI-2?

Should I NOT remove it and change it to a different value?

Works very well ! Didn’t cost anything to try. I can now decide whether I find a 2nd ADI-2 or if I keep using BlackHole on macOS and manually change sample rates.

I listen to a lot of playlists on Apple Music Lossless with different sample rates. Not practical to change sample rates manually for this. I would still need to change in Audio MIDI but its very fast. No stoppage in music playing. Until Apple makes their music app switch sample rates automatically like iOS. With iOS it’s especially great right now.

Also if you can help with the 2 x NAA’s naming changes query above, I’m still stuck on that

For input side NAA you need to use HQPlayer OS image and change name of the NAA there. Because you need to specify input same way in /etc/networkaudiod/networkaudiod.xml

Is your ADI-2 set to multichannel mode?

It is to specify which channels (offset + number of channels) are used from multichannel input stream. Each input to ADI-2 are mapped to different channels in multichannel mode (check out the manual for details).

For changing names you need to use HQPlayer OS image, because x64 NAA OS image is running from a RAM disk, so none of the changes are persistent. On RasPi4 NAA OS image you can change the names in usual way though (/etc/default/networkaudiod and variable NETWORKAUDIOD_NAME).

1 Like

There is no multi-channel mode for non-Pro ADI-2? That’s a Pro model specific, no?

Not that I can see in manual anyway or on the device?

So I guess if taking out channel_offset work ok, it’s ok?

I don’t know, I only have two Pro’s, not any DAC models. The example setup is for Pro model.

If you get sound it is likely OK. Also remember to check that the ADI-2 is clock-slaved to the digital source and not running on it’s internal clock.

1 Like

Thanks. Worked very reliably in my listening session last night.

iPad + Apple Music connected to my AD-2 FS DAC at my desk. All sample rates changing perfectly.

I had it on my UpBoard but this feature is not limited to this UpBoard hardware correct?

Any hardware running HQP Embedded / OS will work with ADI-2 as input? So I could transfer my Embedded license on my UpBoard to another machine?

It works the same on any hardware where you can connect ADI-2 and have a suitable kernel version.

1 Like

Regarding your custom kernel, there’s 2 that have the same ‘date’ shown here below.

Which is the one you would recommend?

v5.10.42 is the higher number so is the recommended?

Or is v5.4.124 more ‘stable’?

5.10 is the currently recommended one. I don’t maintain the 5.4 series anymore.

1 Like

Hi @jussi_laako

Can your i9-10900K output poly-sinc-gauss-xla for 1x , to DSD256 ASDM7EC ?

2-channels only

No stuttering?

Without GPU help

And same questions for your Mac Mini M1 ? (1x = poly-sinc-gauss-xla to DSD256-7EC)

I don’t know, but I would guess it would work since it works on my AMD 5800X (AMD build under Ubuntu). I have not used that machine for couple of months (it’s in a different place than where I’ve been).

I don’t know, but I would guess it doesn’t.

Safer bet is to use RTX 3060 or higher. I think I had it working on my laptop with 5900HS + RTX3060 (mobile). But I would recommend RTX 3080.

I just checked and no, it doesn’t work. Plays for a while and then pauses. So quite cannot keep up with the processing demand, as expected.

1 Like

Hi @jussi_laako

I saw your measurements of Spring 3 L2 :
HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512 - Page 47 - DAC - Digital to Analog Conversion - Audiophile Style

When fed DSD256, it doesn’t look like it is necessarily an upgrade from your Spring 2 L2 ?

As Spring2 is already very good and Spring3 is very similar?

Spring3 measurements even look similar to ADI-2 (DSD Direct mode) when fed DSD256?

What are your overall thoughts on Spring3 vs Spring2 vs ADI-2 (DSD Direct mode of course) , when all are fed PCM44.1 test signal upsampled to DSD256 ?

Yes, the two are somewhat different though. Both are very good, but a little different.

Nice thing about Spring3 is that it has low power standby mode with display off. While Spring1 and Spring2 run pretty hot and have display on in standby.

All are good, but slightly different. Depends on what you want.

One thing to pay attention to is that ADI-2 has been around now with three different DAC chips. Latest version uses ESS Sabre DAC chip and it is not anymore as suitable for DSD playback case, since ESS Sabre doesn’t have DSD Direct mode at all.

1 Like

Can you expand a bit on this “depends on what you want” ? Just so I have a general idea what you mean

Good point. Lucky mine ADI-2 DAC is AKM V2 model. Important factor for new purchases.

I have to look in the latest manual if RME actually distinguishes this (DSDD part) with the ESS model.

I am running that filter and modulator combination on a i7-8700K with an RTX2080. No skips, pauses, delays at all.

Nice! But I wrote “without GPU help” above, since a GPU can help a CPU a lot

Seems to work

Doing 192k to 12.8M pushes the CPU on edge:

1 Like

I run this this combination without issue on i5-10600k @3.9GHz. No GPU, 2ch only, no stutters or any issues.

Source up to 96K PCM. 192K PCM is too much for it. DSD anything is too much for it but I have very little DSD.

1 Like