HQPlayer Embedded Discussion [2021-2022]

Thanks for testing. See if it remains in 3.2GHz even under the load. That is what happens in my system.

In your Ubuntu server, was it a fresh install? I am having trouble playing 192khz content, upsampled to DSD, through roon on my ubunter server 22.04 fresh installed.

In my observation itā€™s roughly 135w when idle for HQPOS and 90w for Jammy + HQPe. So it matters.

Yes and runs HQPe only. 192 ā†’ EC ā†’ 1024fs works smoothly.

Thanks again. It remains a mystery to me why I canā€™t make it work. Maybe Jussi can help debug.

Just one more info, if you allow me: are you using the standard low latency Ubuntu server kernel or the Jussiā€™s custom one?

My last re-install was using Jussiā€™s custom kernel. Both worked great on my system.

Thanks! I will try later this week with jussiā€™s kernel

Embedded should work on Linux Mint right? I tried a few images, but couldnt get it to work the other day, which one should I go for?

Oops, missed your earlier post.

Linux Mint is still on Focal. Not yet on Jammy

All Versions - Linux Mint

For Linux Mint use this one, which is not being updated any more:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/focal/hqplayerd_4.32.0-134amd_amd64.deb

If you need to use Desktop right now, use Ubuntu Desktop?

And then you can use latest Jammy which is the main now:

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/jammy/hqplayerd_4.32.1-135avx2_amd64.deb

1 Like

Thanks @dabassgoesboomboom. I canā€™t remember what I tried last weekend, it was probably an error on my behalf, but will try again tomorrow.

1 Like

FYI - default CPU-freq governor on HQPlayer OS for rPI is set to ā€œpowersaveā€; because of that my CPUs refuse to run faster than 600 MHz, no matter the load; after manually setting it to ā€œondemandā€ i was able to upsample to 768k PCM without issues, using any of the following 2 filter combinations:

• poly-sinc-gauss-long / poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp / LNS15
  • poly-sinc-ext2 / poly-sinc-short-lp / LNS15 or TPDF

edit: if anyone has a similar issue - you can force CPUfreq governor at boot, by adding kernel parameter ā€œcpufreq.default_governor=ondemandā€ to file /boot/cmdline.txt

No go with custom kernel. Funny thing is I installed 22.04 desktop. Hqplayer desktop will run as expected. Should I run embedded from this same desktop install, I cannot get DSD from 192khz material.

Jussi,

I can no longer get sound from HQPlayer. Iā€™m using an OpticalRendu as NAA and an Ayre QX-5 DAC. The rendu diagnostic shows the Ayre DAC is connected. I can run Roon just fine. But I noticed this in the HQPlayer Config screen:

After multiple reboots of both devices I can sometimes get the Ayre to appear in the NAA section, but even then, I get halts and dropouts. Jesus says the OpticalRendu is working fine. Any ideas?

You have the DAC enabled in Roon as output zone? You cannot have the same device enabled in both applications at the same time.

HQPlayer is the Zone selected in Roon. It used to work (but with the occasional dropout). I was just pointing out that if I change the Zone to Roon Ready everything works fine.

So the rendu recognizes the DAC properly, and I can play Roon without HQPlayer. But when I switch to playing from Roon to HQPlayer, I no longer get sound and I assume it is because of the Device disappearing from NAA in HQPlayer. It used to appear.

Disable the rendu in Roonā€™s audio setup before you play thru HQPlayerā€¦

If a zone is enabled in Roonā€™s audio settings, it will block HQPlayer, even if it is not the active zone. So you need to disable all zones you want to use through HQPlayer in Roonā€™s audio settings.

See last paragraph here:

Thanks guys. That solved it. Now Iā€™m back to the occasional halts/dropouts that seem to have no solution. Iā€™ll have to consider HQPlayer money down the drain. At least Roon plays completely reliably.

Whatā€™s your system spec?

Thereā€™s always a solution !

How is everything connected together.

What are all the devices and how are they networked together?

Could be CPU limitation but could also easily be networking

Are dropouts related to all type of play back or they are reate/source specific, like PCM or DSD?

HQPlayer DSD reproduction with certain parameters may be times and times heavier than ROON, canā€™t really compare.

just my 5ctā€¦

EDIT: Another thought may be relevant. If I read QX-5 DAC specs correctly, it does
on USB: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384 kHz / DSD64/D128 (as DoP)
on Optical/SPDIF/AESEBU: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz / DSD64 (as DoP)

Looking at your screen above, Iā€™m not entirely sure HQP settings are correct? I may be wrongā€¦

Roon Core and HQPlayer Embedded reside on a SonicTransporter i9 Optical. The STi9 status usually shows about 25% average CPU average load with current settings. At the other end is an OpticalRendu, running the HQPlayer NAA. This sits behind a USB-connected DAC (Ayre QX-5). The DAC accepts up to DSD8x. Iā€™m running DSD4x. Iā€™ve tried a different DAC, but still get the dropouts. The dropouts donā€™t seem to be related to format type or resolution of the source file. Iā€™ll try reducing the output resolution to DSD2x and see if that shows anything.