HQPlayer Embedded Discussion [2021-2022]

I think I have the same subwoofer. My setup is such that I don’t have a cross-over for main channels, they are naturally rolling off by using closed ports (with the accompanied foam plugs). Subwoofer cross-over is then matched to the natural roll off of the main speakers based on measurements. Rest is then adjusted through room correction.

I’m going to just bite the bullet and throw some money at the problem. I had already thought of a solution that covers all my requirements expect dirac live. I’ll entrust my room correction to hqplayer. The may does do simultaneous outputs so I’m going to feed the spectrum analyzer with the unbalanced rca’s because I don’t really care if that signal is a bit noisy. I’ll feed xlr’s from the may to a serene which I already have. Then xlr’s from that to a fully analog crossover to finally send out to subs and mains. The crossover is the part I wanted to avoid because I don’t know of any good active fully analog crossovers except the one I’ll be using, the JL Audio CR-1. It’s 3.5k but it’s basically a requirement because I don’t want my analog signal to get converted back to digital to then be converted back to analog again. That would kind of defeat the whole reason I’m changing my chain.

Here’s the new configuration

Ha i didn’t know this was still a thing.

What macOS version?

l

1 Like

currently macOS12, I haven’t made the update to 13… Apple software releases don’t have the quality and attention to detail they used to have… 13 is just a new headache for software compatibilty… it seems to be a new apple thing every os release now.

the mac studio I have feels like a piece of junk compared to this hackintosh. I can even swap out the hard drive for a larger one if I want. And add ram later on! :rofl: :joy: :rofl: I mean seriously… what is wrong with Apple, no user serviceable hard drives and ram?!

Can’t wait to build a hack with a 13th gen chip. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Yeh the last few years, I normally wait for version .2 to come up before I update.

Usually by .2 all the devs have sorted issues

2 Likes

As @jussi_laako was saying, Is the crossover really needed if the subs already have a lowpass crossover? Closing the ports on the full range speakers could actually help. In my own experience the bass can be a lot more ( umm tighter / responsive ), i’ve grown a dislike to ports on full range speakers. My subs are just passive 15" drivers which is why I suggested the crossover.
Always best to have as little as possible in audio side of the chain if you can.

PS. Very nice system, I have my eyes on the Holo May, But feel I wouldn’t have a house to put it in if my wife found out the cost :slight_smile:

1 Like

macOS 13 is fine for HQPlayer, but the minimum required is macOS 12 at the moment.

But I also like Apple’s own SoC’s. They deliver impressive amount of processing power per Watt.

1 Like

Integration is only part of why I like using a crossover. The other half is giving my amp more headroom. Low frequencies are more demanding so if I high pass my main’s I can stay within the linear range of whatever amp I’m using. Although I’ve read that the ahb2’s are actually linear almost all the way to clip. So maybe less important than I’m making it out to be in my specific case. And thank you. I’ve put a lot of time into thinking out my system. Without a wife or any other expensive hobbies this is where all my money goes. Also if you’re interested in the may but can’t stomach the cost I’d suggest getting a spring. They’re like 90% the performance for half the cost.

Hi Vincent,

I see you have a Pi2AES, would that be restrictive? Max 192khz.

With HQPe maybe better to use a simple Upboard/Rpi/Fitlet as the streamer (NAA) and then you could USB to your DAC.

Oh yea I forgot to change out the text on the updated diagram for the Pi2AES. Don’t know if I’ll be running hqplayer on my mac mini directly or if I’ll flash hqplayer embedded on a NAA. Since the PLL on the holo may is so powerful I’m not really worried about jitter. The mac mini is in my listening room so I might just hook it up directly to the may.

Are you using hqplayer4desktop_4.20.0-98avx2_amd64.deb ?

If your CPU supports avx2 is a real improvement on performance, just updated yesterday and can do Sinc-M 7ECv2 @512x48 ! Before only DSD256 was only able to do! Thanks @jussi_laako for suggesting!

1 Like

My apologies for the mix up… I was speaking in general about macOS software… not hqplayer.

Apples processing power per dollar only seems to benefit Apple, not the consumer.

1 Like

I think he meant for HQPlayer performance.

Apple Silicon performance per watt of power consumption is elite.

Outright performance hasn’t reached top of the line Intel K-models (yet). But the Intels guzzle a lot of AC power.

If you by any chance think about selling your I9-10900k (ie socket 1200) give me a hint. Perhaps fanzy a swop to the less energy consuming std 10900? :wink:

Hi, even if this multicore issue seems to be inadequate today, I might try it.

How did I change this? I remember doing it way back but do not remember how and was not able to get a search hit here at the forum. So, if you would remind me how this is performed, I would be thankful.

@jussi_laako

Hoping to get a reply on my recent mail to you, Jussi.

this setting is in HQP xml config file.

you can do this in the system directly or via ssh, with nano editor (you may need admin privilidges): nano /etc/hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml

if not comfortable with linux… Go to “Backup” menu in HQP web interface, save back up. In the backup file you can edit this setting. And than “restore” this back-up, it will set the new value.

2 Likes

@jussi_laako Hi Jussi,
There’s an error of displaying DSD rate in current version 4.33.2, and this issue already there since Embedded 4.33. Before 4.33 it’s normal.

On HQPe 4.33.0 it is fine …

Is this perhaps with some combination of NAA version? There’s a new feature in NAA for rate feedback that is used mostly for input side, I suspect this could be related.