HQPlayer / Roon Integration: Ready for Prime Time?

There is a whole topic here about integrating HQP further into Roon. It appears to be eminently do-able, with firm assurances that HQP SQ will not be intentionally harmed. RAAT will be the de-facto protocol once we have 1.2, whether local or network distributed. Looping HQP output back to Roon will allow it to be delivered to all suitable appliances by one of the Roon methods, which opens up all the RAAT capable devices, as well as those that will use it via RoonBridge. One point of control (so long as HQP is running alongside Roon). You would not need NAA on any devices to keep using Roon, as is the current situation, you will just need RAAT or RoonBridge. As it stands now, you will have to choose, RoonBridge / RAAT or HQP NAA, one has to have control of the appliance at the ned of the chain. Without a doubt in my mind, this should be Roon, as far as I am concerned long-term that is what it will always be for my system, why I am a Roon lifer.

That is my understanding, and it just seems like a win-win for HQP and Roon. I can understand @jussi_laako being precious about his software, but for those that have any doubt about SQ through Roon, they can always revert to NAA or HQP Desktop. But for Roon users, it would allow a infinitely more elegant solution (even if only temporary until full built in DSP enhancers are developed by Roon, which may be a derivative of HQP, down to a deal being struck I guess) to enjoy the undoubtable benefits of HQP as well, and why I bought 2 licenses. Furthermore, my main interest with HQP is it’s ability to convert PCM to DSD, but the range of filters are also better than other similar software I have tried in the past (Audirvana, Pure Music, BitPerfect, Amara).

It would be a crying shame if the current link between Roon and HQP is all we will ever get, because long term in my system, HQP would have to be dropped, my family could not cope with the nerdy fiddling required to keep USB connections alive.

1 Like