HQPlayer Signalyst DSC1 and DSC2.5 / DSC2.6 Open Hardware DAC

Has anyone built this?

If not - why not ? :grin:

The full design is given.

It can’t be that hard can it !? :crazy_face:

Why is nobody charging a fee to build and sell.

1 Like

PureDSD

and

STAR Pure DSD DAC

1 Like

STAR Pure DSD DAC

2 Likes

You can refer to VEZZOSO discrete DAC
L7 lab
Measurements of VEZZOSO DSD-NB Discrete Δ-Σ D/A Converter

L7 Lab measurement is not very good.

But are they using DSC1 design? I can’t find their website explaining this

The design of this dac refers to dsc1.
You can search”DSD501HIFI” on taobao website.

There are various ways to improve this design. I made a lot of changes myself to the original one, but was too busy to update the POC documentation. But I posted some updates at diyaudio.com site When implemented in a similar way, make and model of the switch register-latches is pretty critical. Even if the model number is the same, different manufacturers have different implementations. Although they all work the same from digital data function point of view. However, this DAC use is a mixed-domain use case and very different from what the chip was originally designed for.

But essentially similar ones can be found such as T+A DAC8 DSD and DAC 200 / HA 200. And Holo Audio Spring for example.

1 Like

I think PureDSD and others called it DSC2 - taking your improvement suggestions and maybe some others

Yes, I’ve been talking quite a bit with Pavel, his site is here:
https://puredsd.ru

I have also one of his DSC variants! (I think the one called “DSC2.5”)

1 Like

I have a DSC 2.(5 or 6).2 that I never finished because I bought a Holo May instead. Interested to hear your thoughts on how it sounds!

1 Like

Is there an active stage after the trafos for your DSC build?

I would like to keep this thread active: I have one of Pavel’s DSC 2.6 boards in a DIY DAC build. I use a Twisted Pear Audio Cronus USB isolator/reclocker, with a single NDK SDA series oscillator, Lundahl transformers, and an active output buffer (Neurochrome Universal Buffer) as I needed some additional gain and output current drive to achieve good results going amp direct. I also use Salas shunt regulators for the DAC 5 VDC supplies and the output stage supplies. The sound is fantastic with DSD 512 oversampling in HQPlayer, with ASMDEC 512+ modulators. I would love to compare the sonics sometime with the Holo Spring 3 or May.

3 Likes