HQPlayer with exaSound e68

I’m thinking to use HQPlayer for my exaSound e68 dac, which is shown in Roon as two devices (2ch and 8ch).
The tricky thing is, that for 2ch I want (don’t ask why :wink:) to use further the roon bridge and only for 8ch the hqplayer. On Windows you will see two asio drivers and so my thinking is, that it’s possible to deactivate the 8ch endpoint from Roon and use for it hqplayer.
But: It’s also possible to install the roon bridge and hqplayer on one windows pc?
And also: Has someone tried to use hqplayer for upsampling to DSD256 for eight channels and is there (with lower filter settings) Intel Core i9-10900T (I need there a silent system) with 16 GB Ram enough?

I tired 5ch 96KHz contents upsampling to 5ch DSD256 using very low loading filters / modulators on 10th gen. Intel Core i5 machine w/o issues. So I think 10900T should be fine for 8ch.

1 Like

Likely you will have trouble with two applications competing over the same device.

Are you sure?
System shows two ASIO drivers and I’ve tested yesterday a bit with HQPlayer + NAA on the multichannel part and switched then to Roon (without using HQPlayer) for stereo without any trouble.
But sure, I’ve never included the HQPlayer in Roon.

If it’s not a good solution. In HQPlayer (using it for stereo with up scaling to DSD512 and for multichannel to DSD256 means always loading a different configuration, which isn’t very smooth in handling.

Why not get 65W TDP 10900?

More capable than the ‘T’ version and can still be passively cooled.

I’m not sure, I never tried it. But it may have strange behavior when two applications are using two different “drivers” at same time.

Having two ASIO drivers for the same device is already a strange case. All other devices I’ve seen have same driver for any number of channels. I don’t see a reason why the multichannel driver couldn’t be used for stereo too.

That I’ve already thought :slightly_smiling_face:

In using Roon and the e68 connected, I’ll see two end points (2ch and 8ch) installed the exaSound ASIO driver. The same situation in using NAA.
So it may be not correct, that there are two drivers, but one driver with two “interfaces”.
I’ll never use both at once, but (because I’ve two end points) so I’ve the ability to use two different settings (DSD512 for stereo and DSD256 for multichannel).