HQPlayer Zone - Tracks not playing as expected

Eric,

It happens with random tracks during the duration that I listen which is Friday nights from 7PM - midnight. It follows no specific bit rate and happens with both Tidal and locally stored music.

Hi @Steven_Bonamo ----- Thank you for the follow up.

I have now enabled the mentioned diagnostics on your account and what this action will do is the next time that Roon is active on your core machine a diagnostics report containing a set of your Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded to our servers. I will keep an eye out for the upload and will touch base again once it has come in so you know we have it.

-Eric

Hi @Steven_Bonamo ---- I just checked our servers and can see that the mentioned diagnostics report has been received. I have attached it to your ticket which is now with our tech team for analysis.

Once the team has updated your ticket and passed it back to me I will be sure to share their thoughts/findings with you as soon as the feedback becomes available. Your patience during this process is greatly appreciated!

-Eric

Hi @Steven_Bonamo — Thank you for your patience here!

Our tech team has updated your ticket and would like to do some testing in house to see if we can replicate this behavior. As such the team has requested the following screenshots:

1. DSP Settings for the zone you are experiencing the issue with.
  2. Zone playback settings via “device setup” (Volume Leveling, etc…)
  3. HQPlayer Settings.

-Eric

Hi Eric, thanks for the support. Screen shots attached.HQplayer%20DSF%20settings

Hi @Steven_Bonamo ---- Thank you for getting in touch and providing the requested screenshots. Very appreciated!

Confirming that I have passed this information over to our tech team for review. Once the team has completed their testing and have updated your ticket, I will be sure to share their findings with you asap. Your patience during this process is appreciated!

-Eric

Hi Steven,

Your bit rate for SDM (DSD) oversampling is set to 1024. Your computer and DAC are unlikely to handle DSD 1024. If you have HQP output set for SDM(DSD) then try reducing the bit rate to a value your DAC can handle. such as 256 or 512. This shouldn’t, however, affect PCM output.

In the PCM settings you have the poly-sinc-xtr-mp filter selected, which can be CPU intensive depending on upsampling. Try another filter or the xtr 2s variant and see if that makes a difference.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the information. I currently convert everything to PCM 384K rather than having my DAC convert DSD to PCM. PCM is, of course still PCM but upsampled to 384K. In terms of the filter, because everything is in the PCM domain the CPU usage is very low (<5%) even with upsampling.

DSD/DSDIFF Settings has DirectSDM ticked, which means DSD source content is being passed through HQP unchanged. Otherwise DSD content is dealt with by the settings on that panel, rather than the main Settings panel.

Andy, I’m not sure I follow completely. If DirectSDM is ticked DSD source content goes direct to the DAC native, as you said. Your second statement I don’t understand, I would presume even if it is ticked if in the main HQPlayer window you manually select “PCM” versus “SDM” or “Auto” content will be converted to PCM and sent to the DAC which matches the display once the song is played as 384K (PCM) in my case. Does that sounds right?

Yes, that’s my understanding too as regards format and rate. I’m just noting that the SDM to PCM conversion uses the conversion type, filter and integrator in the DSD/DSDIFF Settings window rather than the filter and dither in Settings PCM Default. Took me a while to grasp that.

None of that affects your issue however, which remains a bit of a mystery. Skipping tracks can sometimes mean codec issues. I see you are using Server 2012 R2. It might be worth re-installing the Media Pack just in case a cosmic ray has done something odd to a codec.

Thanks again Andrew. Unfortunately, I tried re - installing the Media pack but got an error that it cannot install. It might be because I just moved to Core Mode or possibly not.

Hi @Steven_Bonamo ---- Thank you for your patience here!

I just got word back from our tech team that they have tried to replicate this behavior in our QA labs using a similar setup to yours in conjunction with the provided settings. Unfortunately, the team was unable to trigger this issue and as such have asked if you would kindly provide us with a media sample that you notice displays this issue when played.

If you could send the sample via a shared dropbox link in a PM addressed to me, it would be greatly appreciated!

-Eric

Hi Eric, thanks again for the support. The lack of a song time counter happens with all songs DSD, PCM redbook, high res, etc. The skipping is random, I’ve checked. Since I’m having challenges re - installing the Media pack I would say stand down until I get a chance to do a complete re - install of Win2012 R2 along with the media pack. My gut says since there is no issue with my office system via the Audioquest black (without HQplayer and running Win10) I bet it’s a Win2012 R2 media pack problem.

2 Likes

Hi Eric,

Just wanted to let you now that there was an update to Roon Friday which fixed all issues (song time remaining worked perfectly, no skipped tracks, the track playing was displayed at top of screen, etc.). Unfortunately, another Roon update was available today which I executed and it’s back to the exact same bad behavior.

Hi @Steven_Bonamo ---- Thank you for the update and sharing the observations you made after updating to B334. Sorry to hear of the troubles.

Continuing forward, I would like to update your ticket in our system so our techs can revisit these issues that popped back up after B334 was released. As such may I kindly ask you for the following:

• Please verify on which device you are seeing:

• Song time remaining issues.
    • Track playing was displayed at top of screen.
  • As before, please reproduce the track skipping behavior and note:

• The time in which is occurred.
    • What audio zone was being played to.
    • What track was being played at the time of the issue.

-Eric

Please verify on which device you are seeing:
    Song time remaining issues. HQplayer via PC played through ultrarendu
    Track playing was displayed at top of screen. Same device

As before, please reproduce the track skipping behavior and note:
    The time in which is occurred. All tracks
    What audio zone was being played to. HQPlayer zone
    What track was being played at the time of the issue. Any and all tracks (high res, PCM, DSD, Redbook)

Thank you for the follow up @Steven_Bonamo! Now that you have provided the requested feedback I am going to enable diagnostics on your account so the team can have a closer look into this behavior for you. I will be sure to share their thoughts/findings once your ticket has been updated and passed back to me.

Your patience is appreciated, thanks!
-Eric

Thank Eric, I believe diags was previously enabled.