I am really curious for what is next for Roon

Yes, it was a painfull and workintense process.
I did way more than 1000 SACDs…

I rip LP’s, classic music from the 60and 70s. Tagging these is really painfull.
SACD’s where a relaxing process for me, compared to Lp’s.
Still, it is real work and takes time and resources.

My best advice is: Do the work, get over it and enjoy the result.

3 Likes

Vinyl? You re brave

I think my OCD would not let me.

The only thing holding me back from signing up Roon is that it does not support ISO.
Converting to dsf is not an option as I want to keep the ISO files for multichannel playback in future.

The conversion isn’t destructive. Can’t you keep both? Storage is cheap…

True.
However, some sacds cant not be converted to iso. In addition, some isos cannot be converted to dsf. So,
Lack of iso doesnt stop me from enjoying Roon but iso support would be a big bonus.

Roon shd enable support for ISO for those who wants it.
I have many iso files and have tried converting some to dsf, but it really messed up the metadata.
Moreover, SSD harddisk space are not cheap and ISO saves space compared to dsf.
I know of many people reluctant to get into Roon bandwagon because of this issue.

1 Like

Is music available in the ISO format commercially?

totally
It is not that easy. Out of 900 sacds, I still have 42 albums that can not be identified by roon. And half of the identified were done by manually. Of course prior to adding ro roon database, all files were checked for tagninfo and retagged where necessary ( nealry all of them).
I think about 10-15 isos could not be converted to dsf due to various reasons.

+1 for iso support

This should not be the reason for roon not to support iso.

Roon is also (soon - months years) supporting the 2 or 3 users who use MQA.
I think there are more SACd Iso users.
Even though both formats will die anyways.

I am not at all interested in MQA.

You should either convert them manually or buy software which plays isos.

I think I can assume the ISO format is not available to download or stream anywhere legally. So while I understand people being a little defensive let’s look at this from the Roon perspective.

How much work is involved in supporting playback of a none standard format?
What are the practical and legal implications of tagging and identifying an ISO of what is clearly a SACD?

Remember tagging is a bigger deal for Roon than many others. Consider also this. Roon is big and conspicuous enough to pursue in the courts if they are judged to be openly supporting piracy depending on the laws where we live.

2 Likes

Yeah, thats why lots of other software support that format. I know of JRiver, Foobar, Audirvana.
There is a lot to choose from.
But if one insists in using Roon, there is no other way than conversion to .dsf.
See other threads on that subject and how to’s.
All illegal, thats why they have lots of room in the Roon forum…

Is ripping one’s own cd or SACD not allowed?

I’m not a copyright lawyer (or any kind of lawyer), but it’s probably safe to assume you wouldn’t be prosecuted for ripping your own SACDs and confining the ISOs to personal use. However, if you’re going to go to the trouble of ripping your SACDs, why not put in the minimal extra effort and extract DSFs while you’re at it?

Again, playing Devils Advocate, an ISO is an SACD rip. Not a CD rip, not a DVD-A rip. If you claim ISO playback what are your obligations with regards to the rights to play SACD? Could Roon be pursued if they claim the ability to play ISO?
See here for an explanation of the distinctions between DSD and SACD playback. The important point here is Roon is a big enough entity to be pursued through the courts. Others mentioned earlier probably aren’t.

Roon leaves the original file intact when tagging, so tagging an iso file will not be a problem I guess.
Of course there will be some limitations such as deleting individual tracks or exporting will not be available for sacd.iso files; however you will always option to hide them.
I cant speak certain from a legal perspective but until an official reply that they will never support sacd…iso comes from ROON, I will ask for iso support from time to time.
I know it is not first priority for Roon and I understand.
Lots of users ask for thousands of features, many of which will probably will not be implemented in Roon. But ican see that Roon team works hard to make their users happy with their product and usually finds a common gornd among many feature requests. So I have hope and will continue asking.
What I don’t understand is, why some people oppose to a feature request by other users unless it has no effect on their experience of Roon.

By the way, we are walking on thin ice here I guess, because I believe when playing any digital file or making your own archive ( ripping, buying downloads…etc), there is always a risk for copyright owners. When you buy a download you agree with the terms that it is for personal use only and the only thing that prevents you copying and giving that file to a third person is your understanding of morality. What I mean is it is hard to draw the line, now you have downloaded it , does it mean that you can listen to it yourself only? Or if you make a copy for your wife is it a violation ( just like ripping the cds you have paid for and making a copy for your wifes ipod also). From a legal perspective what is the difference if you also give a copy to your friend?
I believe at least sacd.iso is hard to play it requires certain software and hardware ( if you want to get the full benefit). Even if you convert to dsf, you can still convert the dsf to flac or mp3 or iTunes format and you can violate the copyright in many ways.
What I mean is, being able to play sacd.iso can not violate the terms of copyright more than the other formats that we play in roon.

I have converted all my sacd.isos to dsf( stereo only) ( except some were not possible); so if it is not implemented it will not change my roon experience much, but if sacd.iso support comes, I will delete all of them and replace with sacd.isos ? especially I would like to experience from switching to multichannel edition I am sure it will be worth it?

1 Like

+1 for ISO Support on Roon.

JRiver has offered Support for ISO files for years now. It should be easy to implement the code.

And yes there is a significant user base who enjoy SACD.

Regards

1 Like

Just wanted to clarify that this is not entirely true. While implementing “playback” might indeed be easy, that has not been the issue or the hard part according to the devs. It has been making all the other file functions work on a track basis with a blob that is not a bunch of individual tracks. There is no point in allowing iso playback if the iso’s become 2nd class citizens in terms of being not included in Roon’s other options, radio, export, etc etc.

1 Like