I bid you adieu [perhaps we meet again]

The first point is right. The second certainly not. It may not have been released for Mac OS yet as the author is releasing version 2 platform by platform. My V.2 is running happily on a Synology NAS.

If you find 30 USD for a lifetime license “uncomfy” compared to 120 a year for Roon - so be it.

1 Like

I think this is understood by most people. However, I do pay an annual fee to Roon, not to 3rd party metadata providers. So for me, Roon would be the “complain to” contact for this in both cases. If my understanding is correct, part of the annual fee users pay is for metadata services. There is no possibility to subscribe to Roon without metadata. Even when I set everything in my libraray to “prefer file”, it does not ignore external metadata.

2 Likes

If Roon would take Metadata from one Provider, you would know where to start fixing. But thats not what Roon does. It takes its cr@ppy artificial intelligence engine and stirs the pot until nobody knows what came from where. On the way it duplictes (end triplicates) artist entries, because one metadata source calls a guy “Soloist”, the other “Violin” - and then it adds the users tag entry on top for good measure.

Therefore, as @Klaus_Kammerer1 suggests, we desperately need an option to switch all that nonsense off. If we want to “use file”, we really want to “use file” and not wildly stirred hotpot of metadata humbug.

Just as a matter of interest is there anything you do like about roon?

1 Like

But it is not a lifetime license? It is a non expiring yearly fee, like JRiver does it. No updates or corrections 12 months after activation.

Yes, on the albums were I fixed the metadata I have nice display of information, integrated booklet (ok, getting that unnecessary msg whether I really want to open it, but lets not complain about the smaller things), I like the multiroom handling and the fact I can plugin my headphone in to the iPad and listen to my hires files.

For the compositions I have cleaned up, I get a nice listing of all the recordings I have in my collecirton of any given composition.

Roon is a bit like a property in less-than-perfect condition: “It has great potential” as the estate agent would tell me…

I am certainly trying really hard to make it work for me. But Roon doesnt make it easy, so not quite there yet.

I take Roon by its claims and it just doesnt live up to many of them. Adjust the marketing claims to reality and some customers might be happier.

1 Like

Not for the Minimserver license, thats lifetime. There is only a small annual fee for Minimstreamer, which lets you up- or downsample files on the fly. 5 USD p.a. or something like that.

I guess it depends on your music, I see classical and dance aficionados are both unsatisfied by the respective treatment and identification of their genres.

Thats a very friendly way of putting it. If Roon would “use file” as I tell him, I would’nt have 90% of the problems. All caused by stir-fried metadata chaos.

Over the years I’ve “seen” four different broad groups of roon users, specifically around metadata.

1. I have never actually seen as they use roon and never appear in the support forum
  2. Users who ask how it works and then never appear again
  3. Users who ask how it works, look at their files and say “bugger that’s a lot of work, well I better get on with it then” and come back when they run up against issues.
  4. Users who ask how it works and struggle against it as it is “illogical, quirky, crap”. Results vary after that.

It is odd to see a ‘conversation’ where somebody says something followed by “View 1 Hidden Reply”, then an answer, then “View 2 Hidden Replies”, etc. It is odd, but it’s better this way.

2 Likes

I hope I haven’t denied there are issues and problems. No mobile, terrible playlists, the inherited from Sooloos weird library/not library, profiles, mobile apps as 2nd class citizens, I COULD go on. But I don’t. I focus on the support category and try and help those I can.
I guess the Fanboy is supposed to be pejorative but really it’s just lazy. I hope I am a fan of roon, I’d be very foolish indeed if I were to carry on using software I wasn’t a fan of.

5 Likes

Sometimes, one has to let things go.
Don’t you think it is time for you?

I understand your frustration with Roon, I understand you put good money against, and most of all, you would like Roon to excel as it is in close reach if they really focussed on the area(s) of your needs and interest.

But keep on communicating like you do is becoming very tiresome, and definitely will not get any attention of the Roon folks.

I for one would like to read some music recommendations from you, as you have shown deep interest in the artists and their music in your collection.

Dirk

4 Likes

Indeed, I really do urge everyone here to be sober about this instead of bashing each other and our systems. Roon is a formidable application and I for one hope to return to it. So, if you would all be so kind, take the fights outside and stay polite and humorous in here. I am not a moderator, but this is my thread :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

4 Likes

https://minimserver.com/minimserver2/licensing.html

Thats not what i’m seeing…

True, I missed the „no further updates“ bit. But it will keep working. I use it since 10years or so and only ever updated now and then. it just works.

I will consider a trial of the Starter Edt though, it might be all i need?

How many times and in how many different threads do you have take jab after jab after jab at Roon?

Roon does not own the metadata. What do you think the solution should be here? Should Roon create and manage their own metadata? How many people do you think it would take to be successful at that? If you think Roon is expensive now…

If Minimserver is so rock solid, very reliable, and extremely flexible why are you even experimenting with Roon and gracing us with your stream of negative comments on a regular basis?

2 Likes

Depending on what you need, probably yes