I bought the Brooklyn Bridge!

Yes it is. I have had only trouble (one device with broken SSD slot, second device broken USB port, no rooopie possible) with the Usbridge and I want to use Roon and Spotify Connect. Both is „out of the box“ possible with the Mytek Bridge. You can also use mconnect Control, which is stable and easy and a lot more comfortable than Dietpi or Volumio (my opinion).

Perhaps a daft question, but does the Brooklyn Bridge have auto source selection when Roon starts to stream, and volume control from within Roon app?

I’m not sure what you mean by auto source selection. I use only Roon connected via Ethernet, so there’s nothing else to select. As for volume, set the Bridge to use analog volume only, and the Roon slider will control it directly and bit-perfectly.

1 Like

Has anyone compared the BB to the Lumin D2 or Teak NT-505 sound quality wise. I really do not the phono pre or extra inputs that the BB has.

1 Like

I’m having no luck getting Roon to recognize my recognize my Brooklyn Bridge device. When I boot up Roon from my iPhone or iPad, Roon searches for the Roon Core but never finds it.

I like to stream Tidal and Qobuz to the Brooklyn Bridge, and I don’t like using the Mconnect app.

Is Mconnect proprietary to Mytek?

Do you have Roon installed on a PC or Mac? Roon on an iPhone or iPad is remote control and playback only. You need to install Roon core on a reasonably modern and powerful (i3 minimum or equivalent) PC or Mac and then you should be able to configure Roon to work with your Brooklyn Bridge.

Does the Brooklyn Bridge allow you to access Internet radio stations directly or through TuneIn Radio? Thanks!
Andy

I listen to internet radio through Roon. Works great on the Bridge and all my other Roon endpoints as well.

Slow response, apologies.

No MConnect is the software from ConversDigital, who make the network card in the Bridge. It’s used by others such as GoldNote, PS Audio, Ayre and the like. Which isn’t to say it sounds the same in each - as with DAC chips how a manufacturer implements it is up to them.

I have had the Brooklyn Bridge and Brooklyn Amp for 2 days, replacing an M-DAC+, SoTM Ultra bundle and Naim pre/power amps. I’m delighted. Going from 6 to 2 boxes, the whole thing is easier to manage, and I can finally control the analog stage volume from the remote.

Setup is ridiculously simple. Plug in a balanced interconnect (I’m using a Chord Clearway), the ethernet cable and analog inputs, power it up and that’s it. Roon sees it straight away and so far I haven’t changed a thing in the settings.

The sound, using Roon, is more detailed, bass control of the speakers is tighter, the soundstage bigger and the music more involving. The biggest surprise, though, is the quality of the analog preamp. With my old setup, vinyl always sounded just a bit better, I thought the Mytek gear would level the playing field, but it’s done the opposite, the preamp is stunning. Switching between the Tidal and vinyl versions of Marbles in the Park, probably the best quality (from a recording and mastering perspective) live album I’ve heard, even though the digital is better than before, the gap has widened, my vinyl has never sounded so good.

My only gripe is the time it takes to switch from analog to NET input. It disables the Roon endpoint when it isn’t selected, so it takes at least 30 seconds to switch between them.

So far, I’m very happy with it. I’ll get an external power supply at some point, but even with the internal one, it’s a significant upgrade.

You’ve got preamps, they are just built into your other components, you can’t feed a source into a power amp. It isn’t about having the “desire” for one, they are an indispensable part of the sound reproduction chain.

a) No.
b) Yes, and it actually sets the volume on the BB preamp, no the signal into it.

1 Like

I was talking about a preamp as a thing. A box, with “preamp” as part of the name, and a price tag and a warranty, and it takes up space on a shelf, and it has a lot of inputs and outputs and a power jack, and you have to choose suitable cables, and read specs and reviews and go into a hifi store and do listening comparisons and decide on tubes or solid state and decide which will look good with your other equipment. I don’t do that.

Now, is “preamp functionality” really something that is built into my power amps? Sorta, but not really. You say I “can’t feed a source into a power amp” — sure I can. They need to be compatible in level and impedance, but these days they usually are. Need volume control, sure, either the source has it, or the amp, and if not, Roon has it. Preamps select among analog sources, maybe phono prepreamps, but I don’t have multiple sources, I have Roon, nd if I did they wouldnt be analog. Preamps have to be controls — no. Balance — my Meridian active speakers hav3 that, and so does the Benchmark, but they are both set centered, and no other zones have it.

My point is, a preamp as a thing is obsolete because the important functions are built in and the other functions are not desired. Just like we don’t buy GPS devices anymore.

I hav bought a lot of preamps over the years. All languishing in the basement. The Absolute Sound and Stereophile haven’t heard…

What NAIM pre/pro did you have ? Just to get a bit of context when it comes to performance. I’m considering either going to the NAP 200/202 or Supernait path with another streamer (or potentially the PS Audio Stellar DAC/S300 AMP stack) VS the Mytek Bridge/AMP. I have KEF LS50’s at the moment, so I’m just quite wary for things ending up too bright with class D.

I have the Bridge, Amp, and LS50s. Not bright. Just very precise.

How do the MQA filter effect non MQA content? I understand the Mytek does not turn the filters on and off automatically. One has to go into the menu and turn on/off manually.

1 Like

Naim NAC62/NAP140. My speakers are Dali Rubicon 6. The Brooklyn doesn’t sound to bright into them.

Great to hear. How is the bass extension, and mids ?. I play a lot of Rock/metal so hopefully there is some meat on the bone :slight_smile:

The selectable PCM filters are not available with MQA switched on, but there is a default one which is supplied by MQA. Fortunately for my ears, that’s the one I like, but it isn’t something I considered before I bought it. You can access the menu from the remote.

What did you decide?
I am on the same fence :wink: