Delayed release to start playback from other music applications on Meridian 2 after using it with Roon

I can’t play any audio using any application (other than Roon) using the same audio device after closing Roon.
If I switch to another audio device, like my USB connected gaming headphones, I can hear sound there.
If I switch back again, no audio.

I’m using a Meridian Explorer 2 as audio device, using the ASIO driver for Roon.
I have to restart the my Windows 10 Pro PC to recover.

Hmmm, actually I can play audio, but it takes a couple of minutes for it to release the device.

This is extremely annoying. Sometimes I have to pull out the Explorer from the USB port for it to start working again.

Hi @Magnus_Back ,

How many minutes does it take before it starts to work again?

If you exit out of Roon and try to start playback, does it work without having to reboot or replug the USB?

I have the exact same issue, can’t play any audio using any application (other than Roon) using the same audio device after closing Roon.
If I switch to another audio device, like my USB connected gaming headphones, I can hear sound there.
If I switch back again, no audio.

I’m using a Meridian Explorer 2 as audio device, using the ASIO driver for Roon.
I have to restart the my Windows 10 Pro PC to recover.

Hello @Magnus_Back, and thanks for your report! Can you tell me how the Explorer 2 is connected?

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

The Explorer 2 is connected vi USB to the PC running Windows 10 Pro.
I’m using Tidal and also ripped FLAC files on the PC.
See path in picture.
roon

Hi @Magnus_Back,

I’ve merged your two threads into one so we can have all the info in one place, can you please look over my latest message and let me know this info? Thanks!

Not sure exactly.
At least 2 minutes, not more than 5.

After some more sleuthing, that recovery of the audio device was a fluke probably due to me doing something forcing a release of the audio device.
The normal scenario is that the audio device and/or Windows Audio Service is completely locked up indefinitely. (Extremely annoying).

One important note, I’m on the Windows 10 Pro Dev Channel release (now 20206). I have upgraded to the new releases at least three times now and it makes no difference.
It might be they have changed something in the handling of Audio devices.

The possible recovery actions are:

• Pull out the Explorer from the USB port and reinsert it.
  • Restart the Windows Audio Service.
  • Restart the PC

What can I do to gather information to figure this one out?

Hi @Magnus_Back,

Thanks for looking into this further, we have been looking into your report on our side more, as well.

I don’t believe that the Windows version is a the culprit here, but rather an interaction between Roon and the Meridian driver, as we’ve been able to reproduce similar behavior on a Meridian Prime using an older Windows 10 version.

To look for common patterns here, can you please let me know the following?

1. Does this same issue occur if you use the WASAPI driver or only when using ASIO?

2. Can you let me know the exact local time + date + track you experience this issue in Roon and then the exact local time + date the Meridian is actually able to output audio after the 2-5 min delay?

1. I’ll check behavior with WASAPI and ASIO drivers.
  2. It never recovers by itself without manual intervention. I have not been able to repeat that.

I’ll try some more and give you a time+date.

I have another issue where it stops playing some MQA files. It indicates the correct file type with LEDs but I get no sound. It still plays “normal” files i.e. I get audio but when I try an MQA file I get no sound. I’m wondering if that is what’s causing the lockup.

1:30pm on 9/4 PST.
Playing “Gentle Storm” by Elbow. I get no sound out. But other standard songs play fine.
Closing Roon and starting Spotify, “Can’t play current song” and no sound out.
This time I had to pull out the Explorer to get it working again, at 1:48pm PST.
Restarting Windows Audio service did nothing.
Swapping Windows playback audio device back&forth did nothing.

It’s very easy to reproduce, looks like it takes a few minutes or 2-3 songs to appear.
Just playing a few seconds will not lock the explorer.

1 Like

Testing WASAPI:
WASAPI keeps on getting disabled within Roon.
I reinstalled the Explorer 2 drivers just to make sure.
To get WASAPI and MQA to work I had to turn on the “give exclusive mode applications priority” and also switch to DSP volume in Roon.

I then close and start Roon again, now I can’t play, failed to initialize device.
I then have to turn off “Exclusive Mode” inside Roon to get audio, but now I don’t get MQA.
If I now turn on exclusive mode inside Roon I get “Failed to initialize the Audio device”.
I actually have to pull out and reinsert the Explorer to make it play again.

This is very confusing and not behaving consistently.

1 Like

Hi @Magnus_Back,

Thanks for the additional information!

We have been looking into your report further on our end and this appears to be an interaction between Roon and the Meridian ASIO driver.

Once you use the ASIO driver it seems like the device is not being released properly for WASAPI usage (in both Roon and in other apps), and this is the reason why you saw this behavior:

We are still investigating the exact interaction causing this behavior, but thanks again for the report and for bringing this to our attention!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.