I don’t have any Brand Affinity!

I thought it was a fancy looking wine carafe :wine_glass:

2 Likes

yes I can see that :clinking_glasses:
Talking about wrong dimensions I can view it as a keychain flashlight

1 Like

I have an affinity for engineered products probably because I am an engineer. I can detect pseudoscience snake oil from 10,000 miles away. Pseudoscience appears to be extremely appealing to what we term “audiophiles”. Like MQA which stinks to high heaven.

I am not an “audiophile” in the sense normally used as above.

I like sound reproduction quality and accuracy above anything else either for home listening, studio work, live sound production for shows or simply for ear buds will travelling. This is not the same as liking smooth euphonic lush hi-fi sound with trouser flapping bass. It is the exact opposite. I like it most when it sounds so real that you would be convinced a drummer/singer/guitarist/you name it - is there in front of you. I like ultra tight bass that does not mask higher frequencies which I want to hear! I like reverb tails and details - stuff that is more than 60 dB down in signal level. I like low distortion and dynamics that are explosive and extremely clean/loud, just as some forms of music are intended to be.

Now that said, I like these products:
Yamaha DSR 12, DXR10 for live sound principally for the mid range clarity
Midas products for their excellent clarity preamps (live sound)
Shure 835SE in ear buds (great tight bass)
ATC Speakers (for playback in studio or at home unsurpassed after more than 30 years for what I require)
Benchmark DACs and preamps like LA4 - these products work and perform to incredible measured performance standards. They sound great when coupled with other products I like.
Roon (I used to like this product a lot but recently becoming frustrated as it seems to run slower with every new release and adding stuff from Tidal to my gargantuan library is now slow and buggy and I’d prefer a product that simply works without updates nearly every week!)

So I guess Roon started as an engineering product (I used to like it) and is becoming an audiophile hand waving process your audio to kingdom come kind of dubious thing with ill defined benefits - like processing audio to considerable degrees supposedly helps improve the sound of some questionably designed DACs lauded by “audiophiles”. I can understand and respect that Roon needs to grow as it expands the user base and that users like me (who want audio reproduction kept simple and bit perfect but love an interface with instant access to gargantuan libraries) are few and far between.

2 Likes

7 Likes