I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

How large is your library? I would be fine with a significant performance impact, but not by 10-20x. I’m mostly wondering at this point if Roon just isn’t really prepared to handle such a large library. I have used other management tools that seem to have no issue finding tracks and such (mlocate, for example, on Linux) but the second I perform the same thing in Roon things grind to a halt.

On a separate note- Roon is the only thing that’s been able to handle my library in even the most minimal sense, so I don’t know what I’ll do if I decide it’s too slow to use regularly. I’ve tried 6-10 other library programs like Jriver, Musicbee, foobar2000, etc and none of them have been able to even open my library. Roon does this at the very least, but it’s really edging closer to “bare minimum” territory which I don’t think is acceptable given that my license was 500USD.

I don’t think she wanted to hear anything about mistakes. I suspect they wanted some clappers applause as at the time they felt they had created the ultimate software. They have boosted this hype enough. Unfortunately it was just the reverberation of their own echo chamber.

Good point, it’s not that large 3500 albums, 53k tracks. My core is Rock on an i3 NUC.

Presumably though this is searching online too to bring back QoBuz/Tidal - I use QoBuz?

I noticed that - I agree the nested display was more elegant and easier to follow. I wouldn’t go as far to say that the view of tracks has “lost all clarity”. Yesterday, I spent several hours searching and listening to music and didn’t find this change a huge problem. It appears much easier to select an individual work to play. Sometimes, I found in 1.7, I was having to select the individual tracks of multi part works - and sometimes, the rest of the album ended up being queued. Neither of these happened yesterday - it could be that I was lucky, but overall I found the overall experience of selecting and playing an individual work much more pleasant,

I am one of those who has been careful with managing metadata on ripping, downloading or adding an album from Qobuz and thus basically knew where everything was and thus had a particular way of searching - which is not quite as easy to do in 1.8. Or so I thought. However, I found yesterday that following the “Roon logic” I was finding what I wanted, plus other version - stuff that despite my care had got “lost”. I am looking forward to this new journey.

1 Like

As an addendum- as I recall, Roon is still a single-threaded application. I notice pretty obviously that the thread and core that Roon load for search and similar spend all of their time at 100% load. How is this acceptable for a program that claims to be able to handle libraries of any size? Multi-threading applications has been commonplace for quite some time now, and with many, many more cores making their way into the desktop space (having been in servers for a long time now), this seems like a limitation of a bygone era where frequency was the only metric that mattered because everything was 1-4 cores and 2-8 threads. I have 20 cores and 40 threads in this server that is almost completely dedicated to Roon. All these UI updates and such make a big splash on headlines, but I think multi-threading is really the only way that Roon will be able to squeeze more performance out of a system and configuration like mine is through multi-threading more things than just audio analysis.

I am using a fully local library. No streaming services. It takes up about 90TB of space (my collection is 95% FLAC, 3% DSD/other formats, 1-2% lossy). So it would seem that the search time degradation is not linear based on the differences in your library size versus mine- meaning that there is some level of optimization happening. Regardless, a 10-20x increase in search time is not acceptable, especially when Roon commands a database on a dedicated SSD that takes up multiple hundreds of gigabytes. How is Roon possibly using 35GB of memory and 200-300GB of flash based storage for all database functionality… and it still can’t perform a search in a reasonable amount of time?

1 Like

Settingsg are completely empty. Can see only the General tab.
Win10-64 version 2004.
The worst update I have ever seen.

1 Like

On many albums, there is a critical consensus represented most of the time by the star rating shown in Roon. But on quite a few albums, the reviewer’s musical tastes get in the way of a fair review of a particular composer’s works or the reviewer has a particular bias against certain performance practices. I generally try to read a number of reviews and just don’t want the rating from one source determining search priorities.

1 Like

All good for me.
Works on my Windows PC, iphone and Android tab. New interface looks good to me, prefer the smaller wave bar as I was always clicking on this by mistake.
Seems fairly easy to navigate to credits, artist info etc. I’m not a compulsive tweaker so I was happy with my settings (DSP etc) & I only play files from my SSD so the streaming integration is not a big attraction for me. Seems like a decent upgrade.

2 Likes

Noting another play button issue- in addition to this:

Which didn’t work when I clicked on “Play Now”, I had to click on the first track to play the album

I have to use the spacebar shortcut to continue playback instead of being able to just click the play button. Has anyone else had this issue?

I can see a switch in settings for album track numbers. Is there one for playlist numbers?

I installed the 1.8 yesterday … and have to admit was little bit shocked.
Went to the Facebook group (forum was down) … everybody seems to like it. Didn’t understand, really. So much basic things got worse :frowning:
Yeah, nice and clever search and gimmicks, and stats but basic things, that was at least to say useful was thrown away and there is no a meaningful reason for that.
Who the heck did have problems with seeing star-rating, using tags with one click, long progress bar, seeing suggestions right when you open an album on the side … and why all this have to me removed.
Not to mention too much empty space (1/3 of the screen on a normal PC/MAC is empty when you enter my albums!!!) and now even less albums fit on the screen. First thought it looks similar to tidal, but not … tidal i better! It seems the layout was designed only for tablets in portrait mode.
So much to scroll now …
NEW-badge is gone.
And what if i don’t like purple ?

11 Likes

It’s in the first tab, “General”, should be the third slider (“show track numbers in albums” I believe).

I got 3.5 mins to search for Charlie Parker and 4 mins to load the discography. Gave up after that. Don’t know if it is general server overload due to 1.8 upgrading. But roon essentially unusable for now.

1 Like

Yep

I had even worse results yesterday- a 70 second wait after doing a search for “Abbey Road”!
But I think the slow results are b/c the Roon servers are so overloaded right now. Everyone is downloading software and many more people than usual are using the software simultaneously.

I suspect things will vastly improve in a few days, and be similar to what it was like before.

I’ll check on the iPad but should not differ I’d say

Less than 20 seconds from start to finish for me (for the same Charlie Parker search you did) sorry to tell you this, and I was just taking my time.
I’m in the UK and it’s now 19:18pm, and I have a fibre connection ca. 30mbps at the moment), just for context.
Maybe there are other reasons for the long load time where you are at the moment?

II really wonder how Mr Darko could write such a rave article about 1.8. He has had it since December, has he actually used it? Are all complaining users here delusional?
My trust in the reviews is dwindling…

7 Likes

I understand your point - yet design choices are something that will always please some, and annoy others - in the end, people need to take some time as change is always hard to swallow on the first day.

As for track numbers, isn’t this something that can be selected under settings? At least this is what I saw somewhere as an option.