I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

:rofl: (yes roon, this is a complete sentence)

List of my sins:

1. “Do not trust and install new release of an application at least period of two weeks after publishing (lets learn on someone’s sins)”
    → Guilty.

2. “Do not create strong and emotional relationship with an application you do not have any control at all”
    → Guilty and close to guilty cuz was thinking of lifetime sub.

3. “Do not invest effort and money in relation with an application you do not have any control at all”
    → Guilty. 2,5 years of collecting work, metadata probably with a chance to migrate somewhere, bought Nucleus - probably with a chance to recover tu NUC.

8 Likes

1.8 is definitely no massive failure.
Actually after using it 2 days I like it a lot.
Dark mode in tandem with purple is kind of cool.

5 Likes

Unfortunately that’s not the case. I’m getting constant crashes with English.

I realize it’s new software, but there are a lot of problems on my end. The new UI design is unacceptable. I’ll write up my criticisms and post them in the main thread.

3 Likes

Speaking of proof (or at least data), I have a hypothesis I’d like to test, and I’m posting it on all the “1.8 is [insert adjective]” threads. I’m excited got a hypothesis about how reaction is spreading out to the UI (not stability issues) based on which remote type you use more often. Anyone who answers gets my thanks!

One would hope however that if you are using numbers to reinforce your argument in three separate posts, that they would have some basis in reality other than just providing a rhetorical flourish.

3 Likes

Although I did get the new UI to work on Wine. I can’t connect to local Audio devices on my Linux machine though. I can play on networked Roon bridges I have.

Hi everyone, I just cleaned up a few recent posts that weren’t Improving the Discussion. This is a friendly reminder that This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion and to Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree. Thank you!

3 Likes

@kevin
Agreed, but you missed to clean out a few posts from @Jim_F . If censorship, then well balanced and equal for all.

2 Likes

I haven’t gone through the entire thread, it’s been a busy week. :slight_smile:

Your posts were flagged by another member, which is the best way to let staff know that a conversation needs review: If You See a Problem, Flag It

If you feel that another member’s posts have broken our community guidelines, please flag them and we’ll take a look, don’t engage further.

If you want to chat about this, don’t hesitate to send me a direct message or create a new topic in #roonlabsllc:meta

Ok, back to the topic at hand, please!

2 Likes

Most important things first. Welcome to the Roon Community @Giovanni_Veldhuis. Nice to see you participating!

34% IS a lot. But note the following:

1. There was a huge uptake of the release, such that Roon services got bogged down. So a lot of people are using it.
  2. There are about 30,000 people in the Roon Forum.
  3. There are about 100,000 Roon users.
  4. There are ~700 people in the survey. That is just over a half of one percent of Roon users and 2% of people on the Forum.

If you want to draw conclusions from that, fine. But I’d like to see if we get anything close to a reasonable sample size. And as the person who started the poll noted, it isn’t necessarily unbiased in data collection.

1 Like

If people are desperately unhappy with 1.8 (I’m not), there is a route back. I posted about it on another thread.

I have severe problems with my normal listening mode. Normally I selected 7 genres and excluded another 2 and then started shuffle. That is not more possible - even if I select 4 genres, roon shows 2 albums! The more genres I choose, the less albums are chosen - weird! And if I start from the top to select a genre, then I don’t get the other ones by selecting: view more, it stops with four genres. A friend of mine has the same problem, even with other hardware. There must be more then a severe bug and I miss 1.7.

1 Like

I’d put this in a new support thread.

Hi ben21,

I guess this is because a boolean AND connection of the selected filters. So basicially you have to do a negative selection. To do so choose the genres you want to exclude and click on them. The genres items are turning red and the related alums will be removed.

Cheers
Oli

As Oliver says above, they changed how focus works. It’s now exclusive: Roon will only look at albums that fulfill ALL conditions, so for each new tag you select, you should have less results. This is actually a pretty normal behavior, but as many people had bookmarks based on the previous model that now simply don’t work, I believe the dev team will have to come up with an alternative.
A simple toggle for “or” or “and” would do nicely, it’s not uncommon either.

1 Like

Все что написал автор первого поста - справедливо! я поддерживаю… интерфейс - из удобного и красивого превратился во что-то очень неудобное… когда в экран ничего не помещается и нет возможности масштабирования… приходится листать… и в несколько кликов искать то - что было раньше под рукой всегда… к тому даже подбор шрифтов и графики весьма уродлив… верните все взад - как было!

1 Like

Hi Rob,

The older UI looked very professional, to me. I think the current 1.8 UI is to modern, not as timeless as the older one. Which I loved.

6 Likes

Roon 1.8 is now gone from the daily driver as a control point. The Roman type and serfi fonts were to many on the one page, irritating. The colours don’t bother me, pity like a lot of other programs, the themes can be changed freely, like the old Winamp could. That won’t happen with Roon, too closed a shop.

For now just using iOS and Android remotes for control, just used to the pokey screens from 1.7, thank goodness the critics write ups are gone, like a reading magnet, usually a waste of time.
Still can’t see the artwork folder contents or pdf in the albums on the remotes.

Still on the lookout for audio player programs that can network just as good as Roon, this latest 1.8 revision makes the search pressing.

Update on box sets/series.

This now takes the cake. Downloaded three albums, collection of 70’s songs. Each album is called “The collection -CD15”, “The collection -CD16” “The collection -CD17” . Each album is in a different folder, the tags are disc 1 of 1 and the folder names are the same as the album metadata.
Now Roon has picked up the CD15, CD16 and classified them as disc 15, disc 16, disc 17. The one album cover from disc 15 is the same for all, so under the one album listing, there are so far three albums.
Before if the folder was named CD1, CD2 and so on, Roon would merge them all into one album. Now it sees CD anywhere in the title and merges. I roughly know what song goes with which cover, but Roon has merged them all, making selection rather difficult.

2 Likes