I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Today, I received from JShiver an e-mail with, among other self serving (i.e. ersatz customer) quotes, the following -

Interesting timing on JimH’s part… Almost like there are JShiver trolls in this thread.

You mean those who received the email? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In Focus you can show what you have listened to in the last, 3, 6 or 12 months. Not exactly the same. But as you click on one of those values, it’ll show you how many there were.

… i remember quite well when I posted, in the “wished” area, to have possibility to adjust font dimensions and number of album cover in the wall… you know I’m ageing as soon or later happen to everybody but seems that the maquillage is more important then substance… so we have a new apple-style font and looks but no care about people ( customers! ) who don’t see as when they were 20 anymore… that is quite sad

the most important one would be the possibility to reverse an upgrade… but no way, there are always unavoidable technical reasons that impose the new update… a bit like those “nice” people from microsoft do

I wouldn’t know about Qobuz, I’ve never used it. But as a Roon life-member and Roon Nucleus + owner, I’d like ((prefer) my streaming service to be a provider of music that I never have to see or interact with beyond initial setup and payment. I’m plenty happy with Roon, or was especially happy with 1.7, and will have to get used to 1.8.

1 Like

and that makes me sad the most…

1 Like

My properly backed up library never crashes!

@grossmsj where did you get these stats from?

No the sound quality is the same. I have any issue with the update until now !

For those of us who came from Sooloos this looks rather like a bait and switch, even if unintentionally, or by evolutionary osmosis.

Roon was a massive step up from Sooloos/Meridian, which many of their engineers started, Meridian quite rightly handed the mantle over to Roon and stopped supporting Sooloos. Their hardware remains excellent for stereo audiophiles with substantial hi-res libraries. The integration with the streaming services was a a fantastic evolutionary path, but even with MQA, streaming isn’t ready to consistently render hi-res audiophile playback.

As for Roon’s very own, and excellent Nucleus and Nucleus +, they’re selling a device that’s tailor made for libraries. Hello!

i see that, many folks saying roon is favoring streaming to local
even thats not entirely true.if they had favored streaming, they would have focussed energies on adding integration with new streaming services such as deezer or amazon
they are being rigid about their architecture and wish they spent their dev cycles on getting new services instead of UI changes if one has to be prioritized over another.

Both numbers have been posted in the forum.

Can’t find them now, of course. :smirk:

1 Like

Roon have stated the number of users at 100,000 for a while now.
If you click on the ‘hamburger stack’ between the search icon and your icon in this forum, you’ll see two columns. In the right column is “Users”. Click on that and a screen comes up with all kinds of user information. Next to the search box on the right it says “40,776 users”.
I’m an old guy, and remembered 30K instead of 40K. :wink:

3 Likes

" Join 100K+ music enthusiasts" https://roonlabs.com/

I did a lot of software work on the Boeing 787. If I released software like ROON does I would surely be fired and a lot of people would die!!! ROON developers need to adopt some kind of quality software process. At a minimum design reviews and code inspections. Clearly whatever they are using now is NOT working at all. Do they even have a quality department?

3 Likes

Please, how do I downgrade to 1.7? I can’t play my DACs as they are no longer showing up in the “Select Zone” list. And, when I play on a Roon Ready device, the Roon Windows 10 UI doesn’t even update.

I hope the devs are working on this over the weekend, because as it is now, Roon 1.8 is DOA!

UPDATED: rebooting my Nucleus fixed it

I just tested and I can now confirm that my core can’t fly!

1 Like

C’mon guys get some perspective.

15 audiophiles haven’t had tooth aches, let alone died as a result of 1.8.

It’s a pandemic, we’re all a bit tetchy, but apart from some acknowledged “mistakes”,

It’s actually a huge improvement once you give it some time.

So calm down, listen to some music over the weekend…

.sjb

10 Likes

Form over function. I like the new interface, but Roon now is failing to find my connected devices (Mytek Brooklyn and Mytek Liberty). I don’t care how pretty the interface is, if the software doesn’t work.

4 Likes