I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Frankly I am not surprised. It is impossible to export a playlist from a mac since March 2020 (application crash systematically). ONE YEAR !!! Version 1.8 still doesn’t allow it. They are unable to fix their bugs. The management of the development team is catastrophic. The application was promising. They killed it. The indication of belonging to a playlist has disappeared on the tracks, the custom stars have disappeared … Anyway… I have 40 years of IT experience and I have never seen a software company behave this way towards its customers.

2 Likes

those ones?

Oups … you’re all right. Sorry ! And thanks
If you have an idea for the playlist associed to each track …?

No tags and playlist reference, nothing, zip, zero… :disappointed_relieved:

Do you mean the lack of perspective from those who like 1.8 towards those who are expressing dissatisfaction? If so, I agree. The “It works for me.” “I love 1.8” proclamations add absolutely nothing to the discussion; they simply seem intended to cause friction.

I would gently suggest to those that are impressed by 1.8 that they start their own “I love 1.8” thread where they can discuss everything they like, rather than continually trying to straw man those in this thread who have genuine grievances…

7 Likes

If fully agree. These extreme love rallies are nice, but …

On the other side repeating the same bugs again and again does not help neither …

Roon is not an open source project. But I would still like to see a publicly accessible bug tracker, or a published bug list as done by other software companies, where you have a status. That would help a lot and calm down the masses.

Roon is nothing else then a software project.

3 Likes

I use MusicBrainz Picard to set tags in my files and set Roon to only read the metadata from my files.
I don’t like Roon’s genre categories and other info that’s not always correct because it doesn’t recognise my album version.
I also do this in case I don’t want to use Roon in the future anymore, although I’m a lifetime subscriber. At least if I change software, I don’t have to curate my whole library again.

2 Likes

Not at all. I’m referring to the animosity between community members, regardless of positive or negative lean towards the update. I’m fairly new to Roon, so don’t feel strongly one way or another over 1.7 to 1.8 (certainly from a technical standpoint)… but it’s saddening to see folks at each others throats over a software update. From behind a keyboard.

That perspective.

My intent was to diffuse, rather than antagonise.

9 Likes

A few words from the management would suffice: Okay, we understand …

To me, silence means a lack of empathy.

9 Likes

I agree. The fact of sharing the same passion cannot excuse everything. Let’s stay in a healthy business relationship. Roon is a business made by enthusiasts. Good communication is part of paying attention to your customers.

3 Likes

I want to let know to Roon that I’m one of those customer here that is HAPPY AND SATISFIED.

Come from a lifetime membership since 5 years now. Find the new version faster, more refine & mature. I love the column view in the focus functionality, way more convenience than previous one (that was cumbersome). Still some GUI tweak/alignment bug, easily fixable, some crash, either, fixable. Overall, very happy, even the new purple colour, it’s a nice new fresh air, thank you Roon.

9 Likes

That is very nice for you and at the same time I am happy for you. But: This is the thread for people who are not satisfied and happy. There is a separate thread for the lucky ones: Roon is great. Please write your comments and your feelings of happiness there.

7 Likes

Same here. I agree with Sharron_Shelby comments on the UI. The UI has been totally ruined in 1.8 release. The UI is very inconsistent. Different size of fonts are used. A lot of empty space on the top of the screen that you can vaguely see what is really relevant - for example one row of album titles. I don’t need to see “Hello my name” in font size 48 and empty space around it. I want to see my albums.

What was wrong with the horizontal scrolling?

The light theme is too light and dark is too dark?
Have your developers been trained a bit about the color schemas? I don’t think so.

In some place you use square tiles, in some other now circular tiles. Why? Another inconsistency.

Again, why playlists are not being displayed as tiles? That has not been addressed in any version of Roon.

In general, I agree, 1.8 is a massive disaster.

10 Likes

Didn’t function well on Android (screen snapped back) and is counterintuitive.

But worked fine with iPads.

you all crowed about horizontal scrolling being terrible, now you have vertical scrolling and you crow about it being terrible :rofl:

8 Likes

I believe the problem lays with a “entire screen” scrolling has been replaced by normal PixelbyPixel. So in this case you have completely different UX. With same scrolling discussion would be marginal.

*Citation needed.

2 Likes

100,000 is stated here. Introducing Roon 1.8 - Roon Labs

If you can prove that more than c.1,000 people have significant issues, I look forward to seeing the evidence.

2 Likes

YOU made the claim, YOU provide the evidence. Absence of somebody posting on the forum, does not mean those people aren’t suffering issues.

Even if you don’t accept that the participating forum membership is representative* you cannot make the inferences you have without some supporting evidence.

*And if you do accept it’s reprensentative, then just over a third have reservations, some serious, over this release.

3 Likes