I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

As I attempt to delve into 1.8 more and more, I need to make sure you’re aware of some fairly obvious missing functionality in the new release. From an album, I can no longer click on the name of the artist that is right beneath the name of the album to pull up all that artist’s albums? That is such a basic way to look for things that was on 1.7 and now gone. Please add it to your things to fix. Thank you.

OK, you can click on the artist name under the album name. But is sometimes does not work after repeated clicks. And in 1.7 I believe the artist name was a different color text so it was obvious you can click on that text. Now all the test is the same color so you can’t tell what you can click on and what you can’t.

2 Likes

Some of you are being a bit dramatic aren’t you? I am running the control App in Wine on a Linux machine and have no problems. I even changed some theme colors thanks to some intrepid folks here who figured out how. I understand you not liking the UI, but calm down, geez.

4 Likes

No, can’t be done, 1.7 will die fully in time. Any problems or improvement suggestions should be addressed to the Roon team so we can help make 1.8 better going forward.

1 Like

Most of us over 50’s can spot an ad hominem attack when we see one.

8 Likes

Well why don’t you try another solution…if you can find something similar… I really appreciate the Roon’s effort. Just 4 days …calm down and let’s them work on it. No issues for me so far. I use a Linux computer as a core, raspberry pi as bridge, iOS, OS X, windows 10, Android as clients and chromecast to watch the lyrics on tv… everything working fine for me

7 Likes

Same here - you almost suspect some kind of mass attack from an alien planet :rage:

4 Likes

Sure, everything works fine… If you don’t use Roon too much.

Tags are basically broken. So are many bookmarks from the previous version. Playlists have become a nightmare. And that’s just the new problems. Reordering tracks in an unrecognized album is still a mess, so are box sets, unrecognized compositions… The list is long.

So when you say it works fine, you mean you press play and music comes out? Because it does, but is that the bar for a $120 a year subscription model?

And I’m sorry, this is not actually about you. I’m just a bit fed up with people saying “everything is fine” when clearly they don’t use half of the stuff. 1.8 broke a bunch of features while doing nothing about stuff people have been clamoring for since before 1.7. It might play music, but it’s not “fine”.

16 Likes

There’s lots of things that “work fine” on 1.8. Not just pressing play and music coming out. I pay my yearly subscription to Roon for Qobuz and local library integration with DSP and multiroom. They’re all fine on 1.8 (for my usage).

You’re quite right that “it works fine” isn’t an objective statement, because it doesn’t work fine for some people. But equally claiming that it’s not fine is also not an objective statement because it does work fine for some people. The fine-ness (or not of Roon 1.8) is entirely dependant on how a person uses it and is therefore a subjective judgement.

2 Likes

I guess nobody is arguing it works fine for some people. There should also be no arguing that it works a little less fine for others.

2 Likes

I can’t actually agree with that. If a software has features, and those features don’t work, you can’t argue the software is fine just because you don’t happen to use those features. That’s not subjectivity versus objectivity, that’s just not being affected by the problems. And that’s very different.

It’s really forum-behavior 101. There are threads on this forum discussing issues of connectivity with equipment I simply never heard of. I don’t go to these threads to tell people to go get another solution because Roon works fine in my home. I don’t have problems with people saying they like the new update, but I can do without posts like Alejandro’s.

11 Likes

I use Roon everyday, almost all day…but right, for listening, high quality music files. Well my main aim is to listen good quality music from Tidal and Qobuz and from my big DSD files in one software solution. Also I have 3 different zones at home. I my case, $120 is quite decent price for those basic features. And about 1.8 version …I repeat, for me, no issues so far.

5 Likes

Let’s reword the situation:

1.8 works just as fine as 1.7 did. A lot of stuff doesn’t deliver as advertised, users have to think up complicated workarounds for functionality that should be available and the UI irritates a lot of users and after a few days of use everyone figures out not much has changed.

What did everyone expect? Miraculous fixes for stuff that has needed fixing for years? What’s the definition of insanity again? :innocent:

This update is consistent with Roons track record.

4 Likes

they must be blind. yes, a few things were removed/changed and some will be reinstated, but a lot has changed for the better. Perhaps its just the superficial users who don’t see it.

4 Likes

Could you please enlighten us „superficial users“ a little further so we reach the same karma-level of enlightenment that you have apparently already reached?

Enlighten yourself… it’s all there, right in front of you.

Fool me once…

4 Likes

I’m a “superficial user”, and I’m learning. Perhaps its all about drilling down now, but I don’t want 20 clicks to play an album. Yeah, most of its still in there, you just have to find it.

1 Like

I have a question. How do your native DSD files compare in terms of Sound Quality to the DSD upsampling that Roon does from Tidal/Qobuz streams? And is there a benefit of having both Qobuz and Tidal…given they have the same libraries…I mean maybe Roon Radio works better with both Qobuz and Tidal logged in so it works with more listening data…

Thanks

“What others do with one click, we can do it with three!” Catchy, but not particularly forward looking motto.

3 Likes