I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

It just seems to me people are looking for things to complain about. The purple looks great, but you know what? I don’t really even see it… I’m looking at the information and listening to the music.
Sure an option to customise would be great but we really do need to get a life on this :joy:

7 Likes

Totally agreed! No need to have high blood pressure because of this.
I am absolutely fine with purple on black, but maybe I am old, and computer illiterate.
That’s being said, ideally Roon should provide setting options on colors, fonts, font sizes, etc.

1 Like

Humor is subjective, personal and cultural, but I’m objectively pretty sure this post is tongue in cheek, and subjectively certain it’s very funny. Lighten up? Oh, but retain the contrast…

5 Likes

Perhaps people who are concerned about the beauty or otherwise of the UI should run it through this site: https://www.prettyscale.com/

Thank you killdozer!

I posted twice yesterday. My first post was a serious one relating to the readability of the default dark theme (in particular on iPads), but the second was an attempt at a throwaway ‘cheeky’ quip about the colour purple. Of course it wasn’t meant to be taken seriously. I hoped the emoji I attached to the post would give this away.

I must admit that I was surprised at how popular the new UI and the purple on black colour theme choice. It’s certainly not to my taste, but I have no wish to take the existing colour themes away from those who like them.

I have largely made my peace with the new UI and version 1.8. My only real desire is that Roon might offer one or two additional dark themes with alternative and more subtle colours for use with iPads & phones. We now have a workaround for Win 10 and Mac control points and I am sure it it would take Roon developers less than an hour to accomplish something similar for iPads. I really don’t see why anyone would feel the need to object to this request.

2 Likes

I’m sure if it appeared in a discussion other than this one, more people might regard it as funny. This thread is so full insults, vitriol, name-calling and immediate (often rude) dismissal of opposing views that’s it’s difficult to find the humour.

1 Like

Dirty Harry, in “The Dead Pool”. The only movie in which Clint Eastwood co-starred with Guns N’ Roses. Another massive failure!

Anyone dipping into this thread for the first time and reading posts from the past couple of days might be forgiven for assuming that the only controversial aspect of the 1.8 release is the use of the colour purple, and that there are two opposing voices:

1. How can people possibly get so worked up about the colour purple? It’s a perfectly fine colour and I like it - just live with it!
    and on the other hand:
  2. Why do people feel the need to be so defensive of the colour purple when its use in the new UI is criticised by people with a different point of view?

Unfortunately, the use of the colour purple is not the only aspect of the new UI that has divided opinion amongst subscribers, but it is one aspect of the division that Roon developers could resolve extremely easily by offering us a choice of colour or better still alternative themes. I am certainly not advocating the idea that the colour purple should be banned - and I suspect not many others are either.

Surely, none of us would disagree with the introduction of some element of choice?

1 Like

Yes - and I did so some time ago following the introduction of the Theme threads.

However, it’s not an option for the iPad that I use to control a couple of my Roon end points.

I wasn’t going to respond to this, but I now feel the need to.

If you re-read my post, you will see that I attached an emoji ( :innocent:) to my reference that “anyone with a modicum of aesthetic sense would accept that the colour purple is ugly”. I had hoped that this would indicate that my remark was not to be taken seriously, but I obviously miscalculated.

I don’t have anything against the colours dark blue or dark purple in the right context. My point is simply that I personally find the combination of dark blue or purple text on a black background to be quite difficult to read easily, particularly when using Roon 1.8 on my iPad Air. I do understand that others may not have the same problem, but that is of little consolation to those of us who do!

Hopefully, this slight difference of opinion need not be acrimonious!

1 Like

Actually I could not care less whether that play botton is purple or blue or something. I actually think these rather superficial „taste“ discussions somewhat bury the truly fundamental shortfalls of 1.8.

But then I guess most of those will by now have their own bug report threads and at least quite a few of them have been recognized by Roon.

Lets see wether the next update will get broken functionalities back, stability up, focus on library mgmt again and will bring us back somewhat closer to overall usability.

There are far too many “absolute” statements in this thread, based on individual subjective opinions. You’ve just made another. There is no problem with “overall usability.” I find 1.8 perfectly usable, as do so many others who have stated so in these forums. I like it, as do many others (as they have noted). I like it even more after some of the post-release modifications.
We’re not all on the “massive failure” train—which as far as I can see is carrying a very small percentage of Roon users.

2 Likes

We know that thats your opinion. Thanks for repeating.

Excuse me. I thought repetition was the mantra of this discussion. You’ve been doing it since the beginning of “massive failure.” My point is, although you seem to think so, you don’t speak for everyone. Not even close, actually.

I guess I’m not looking at the same pages you are because what I’m seeing are blue or purple fields with white type on them.

Sure. Find an album and press play. It works - ‘perfectly usable.’ Does all the basics that 1.7 and earlier did. No arguing with that.

But let’s say try and discern which albums are in your library, which are Tidal, etc in certain scenarios (like in the “Similar” box) and it’s a mess. Little to no consistency of buttons, navigation, views, Valence sprinkled everywhere - Similar Recommended What’s New In Their Prime Popular Top If You Like Performing The Music Of Collaborators New Releases - you get the idea, and lots of other functionality and UI that’s changed for the sake of change and not for pragmatic or the fixing of longstanding bug reasons.

I still enjoy using Roon, of curse, but to me they took what was working with 1.7, screwed it up by trying to make it more complex, and what many were asking for - a better UI - just changed some colors and fonts and moved a bunch of stuff around for the sake of moving it. No extra customization, no locked tab buttons across screens, credits now a pain to scroll through just to see what the label is, wasted space to say hello (I know who I am) etc etc. And that’s just the easily seeable, somewhat superficial things.

Sorry you have such a beef with those that have a beef - it is what it is, and to say it’s perfect is missing how great it could be by a moon shot. Just my opinion of course, no absolutes beyond that. But without our feedback there would be no hope of it getting better, as it’s obvious either the Roon team and/or the beta team were using it in a fashion that many users here would say must have been superficially to not catch all those bugs that it released with.

5 Likes

Pretty sure he meant text box.

Unfortunately, I can’t provide you with screenshots because I have customised the themes I use on my Win10 devices, and I have no means of taking screenshots from my iPad.

I have no problem with white type on blue or purple backgrounds.

Examples of the screens where I have a problem are “Playlists” and “My tracks”, where the album artist and album fields are populated by dark blue (or purple) text on black. I can read the text but not easily. I would feel far more comfortable with light blue text (or something of a similar contrast) on black.

I don’t. I have beef with those who assume their subjective opinion is shared by the majority. I also have a beef with those who toss off opposing points of view or criticisms as if they were coming from the great unwashed. And I have a beef with those who think repeating the same opinion endlessly will turn us all into “massive failure” converts.
We all have a right to like or dislike all of Roon, bits and pieces of Roon, purple or brown. We have no right to think that our point of view is the majority point of view—unless, of course, that can be proven.

2 Likes

The problem with ‘absolutes’ is that for some users, things can be very ‘absolute’ - for them. For example I found the 1.8 text font used, light or dark theme, to be absolutely unreadable for me. Literally, after reading a line or two it would all start to swim and I could feel a headache coming on. Not so with 1.7. So that is not an absolute that applies to other users, but unless I’m an absolute margin case, it could apply to some others (perhaps even many). But hank god we can tinker ourselves, so now I can read bios and reviews bun using a more readable font. It’s just that IMO these sorts of foibles should never have made its out of committee into an actual release. But that’s just me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am happy with 1.8 and would not go back to 1.7 if offered the chance.

5 Likes