I don’t like 1.8 - it feels like a massive failure

Totally agree. Happy to pay yearly. Saves me a lot of money if the roon company really moves to the direction that the version 1.8 shows: useless features with lots of issues and no understanding of the needs and wishes of their customers. The end.

1 Like

Which customers provided positive feedback on this release? This is massive DOWNGRADE!!!

1. The UI is ugly!
  2. Where are the star ratings on albums when viewing discography? I used that heavily
  3. I loved the ability to click on the below the track and see other versions. Now I have to do a bunch of clicks To do this.

Just a partial list of grievances

Why don’t you Guys focus on what customers want versus what you think they should want? E.g. Roon accessible from outside of your home network.

I really think you guys are doing what Amazon/Jeff Bezos says will lead to a demise of a company - you are not listening to your customers!!!

9 Likes

I took the 114 disk Brendel Complete Philips Recordings and ran the same test. I get the same nonsensical results as you but I interpret it differently. The totals are neither tracks nor compositions. They are database line entries. So a composition with 3 parts gets counted as 4 (including the work entry). Its nonsense. Were you involved in the beta? Surely things like this came up.

2 Likes

That has to be an oversight, maybe raise it as an item in its own right so @support can look at it . Unless you want me to do it

@Tony_Casey
I was involved in the beta from last Saturday and I reported it on that day :wink: But it was clear that they were not able to fix these things quickly. Even the settings problem that came up immediately could not be addressed. And that’s much bigger an issue than this.
I can share my findings with you offline, if you like.

1 Like

This is a good one.

• Try to add more than one tag to an album. (It works but it is cumbersome)
  • Then try to get rid of the tags you assigned (this also works but good luck finding out how to do it)
1 Like

that’s my conclusion, too and it makes no sense at all… It’s not a terribly big deal but something you could put against the slogan “we understand classical” if you’d wanted to be cynical…

1 Like

From what I’ve read so far, I do not want version 1.8 on my system. 1.7 is just fine for me thank you very much. How can I keep 1.8 at bay until such time as it can be shown to be a genuine improvement on 1.7 and not just an update for the sake of it?

1 Like

exactly the same story with me

Maybe you will find it in your heart to show a couple days of patience.

1 Like

Mangelhaftes Design und mangelhafte Funktionalität.

Bitteres Erwachen nach zwei schönen Jahren vor Version 1.8 !

Roonlabs täte gut daran, schnellstmöglich ein downgrading zur Version 1.7
zu ermöglichen.

8 Likes

Assumptions

Spent some more time with the new layout, but agree with the start of this thread - not a good rollout. This layout appears to have been designed by someone with visual impairment. How else can the disparate font sizes be explained? And why does my initial in a circle (gawd, those circles - bleh) have to be everywhere?
So much wasted space. And does Dark Mode even work? Changed to DM on MacOS but Roon stayed in ‘bright white’ mode - still with the shaded, too small font on anything worth reading. Like many others, I found 1.7 to be a much easier reading layout. The waveform - is it still there somewhere? All I can see on the now playing screen is a timer countdown. The Roon Radio bar should go back to the side - takes up way too much space. And is it my imagination, or is the album artwork on the queue now visibly grainer? The PR made this update seem fantastic. Not yet.

5 Likes

The artist circles is wastes space but the most annoying part is the removal of the alphabetical search buttons. I figured out that search works when you are typing but I much prefer selecting artists by letter.

Letter search works best on the ipad because it does not require pulling up the on-screen keyboard.

Roon should not be removing functionality when upgrades are compulsatory.

VERY ANNOYING!

• Rich
6 Likes

Yes it is a mass. Even if you open the list of Tags using the … ob the right side of the screen you couldn’t see which Tag you have already set for the specific song.
The info to which Playlists the song is already associated is also missing.

2 Likes

I’m using a MacBook Pro 16" / Intel Nuc ROCK and have no such problem. I like it better,more space,cleaner and love the new scroll feature instead of moving sides through pages. Good Job Roon !

2 Likes

I initially had a wobble where my core couldn’t be found for periods in the first 30 minutes after install. I suspect some sort of background update. After that it has been stable. Kit is 7th gen NUC running ROCK, iPad Pro 9.7, various endpoints. I liked the old style and will need to get used to the new typeface and the notion of scrolling in a different way. But mine is now stable and I’m not going to get upset over cosmetics.

I have to say that there is a certain ‘shrill’ nature to the tone of some of the complaints. An inability to make distinctions between bugs and personal taste. A lack of detail around what hardware is actually in use. And in a setup where 100,000 users will quite literally implement Roon 100,000 different ways then there will always be some bug discovery on release.

I have further testing/listening to do. My only real request would be selectable fonts at this point. Maybe other requests will follow but I’m happy so far.

6 Likes

There never has been, and probably never will be, an option to fall off a new version.

I have no plans to update to V1.8 for quite some time.

1 Like

I just set the auto-renew button for yearly subscription from „yes“ to „no“.

6 Likes

In fact, it is normal to see such threads whenever a new release is upon us, and get the impression that the whole thing is a mess, as if a vocal minority dictated what reality is (just like in politics these days).

After all, those who are satisfied tend to remain silent and enjoy their setups; only those who do not tend to take time to post something.

5 Likes