I dont get it about home networks

This is all irrelevant to the main issues that come up with Roon:

1. Device discovery issues due to buggy handling of IP multicast, including by overly aggressive IGMP snooping algorithms.
  2. RAAT’s sensitivity to bursty packet loss. While RAAT is layered over TCP/IP, it does not buffer much to allow for multi-endpoint zone sync, and it gives up when packets fail to arrive within its DAC-clocked data arrival window. Quoting from the relevant doc:

Tight playback synchronization suitable for multi-room listening. There’s a careful line to walk here. If we demand ultra-tight (1-10us) sync, it becomes impossible to implement the system on existing/unspecialized/heterogeneous hardware platforms. We shoot to be within 1ms (and under ideal circumstances often much better), which is more than adequate for multi-room listening.

1 Like

Really? My point wss that the vast majority of Roon users dint need to worry aboit the arcane details of home networking. Im sorry you have a different experience, but i supect that you’re in the minority.

I truly hope that you get yout networking issues sorted out. Ive had my fair share too, includng lousy cabling from my ISP. I just dont want folks to think this is the norm. As I said, most people just need a standard setup using their ISPs modem/router. If it was thus diffucult for most people, Roin woud die. Perhaps you might want to pacj in your carefully crafted custom network and just go with something more standard.

If i get a torrent of abuse for this, ill just pack in posting to the community and leave everyone to their own devices. Sheesh

Mods have closed the topic as the various points have been made and to prevent any ‘piling on’.