I don't know if this is a Roon issue or a Qobuz issue

I’m presuming when you said it doesn’t happen with local files that they were a series of 24/192 as well?
Do you have a switch off the ubiquiti or just using its ports?

Since the outage the other day, I was experiencing similar issues most of Friday Some tracks would play perfectly fine then I would get a run of several that just skipped or stopped short. Now I’m in the UK
not the US but I have a full Ubiuiti network like the OP. Might be something here that’s the root cause?

One thing to bare in mind is that with Roon your not getting the stream direct from Tidal or Qobuz, due to the nature of Roons architecture, it’s going via Roons
cloud servers so this could be knock on effects form the issue at there side the other day. Not sure about AudiVarna but I imagine it’s directly streaming from Qobuz or Tidal and may have a more local CDN that could be making it more stable. I don’t know only speculating but to point the finger at either Roon or just the ops network is not productive. If it’s happening consistently then support need to investigate it and rule out what it is or isn’t.

yes, that is correct.

My network is 100% Ubiquiti, switch, access points, everything. Everything on the audio circuit is hard wired except my remotes, which are WiFi.

I literally don’t know how else to say this, but if nothing else is experiencing a problem, then the problem is the one thing that IS having a problem.

Everything else is an excuse.

Hi @Jason_Carle2,

Let me tag @support … they will follow this up for you once it reaches the top of their queue.

1 Like

Hello @Jason_Carle2, my apologies that you’re experiencing issues but we’re happy to help get you fixed! I wanted to also address some of the comments on this thread. Namely, that Roon can be a bit more complex in some areas than other apps, particularly when it comes to networking. While streaming services playing to your endpoint are comparatively simple, Roon has a bit more going on under the hood.

Our next best move is to eliminate what we can from your setup and see if we can narrow down the source of the issue you’re experiencing.

If I am correct, your Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro has a managed switch built in. You also mentioned that you had another switch. Can you tell me the model of that device? My reasoning for bringing this up is that our networking guide warns against using a managed switch. Are you able to set these to unmanaged or temporarily remove these devices to see if the issue occurs?

Also, please let me know if you still see this issue when playing to system output of your Mac Mini.

Thanks again for your patience with this issue, we’ll get you sorted out!

I connected the Mini directly to my modem at one end, and my Sonore at the other through a small 5 port unmanaged switch. The problem occurred.

However…

Last night while fiddling I quit Roon Server on the mini and was using Audirvana to play music. When I quit Audirvana and restarted Roon Server, it played 24/192 content just fine until Roon Server saw a sudden spike in activity to nearly 100% CPU usage (witnessed with activity monitor) at which time Roon immediately stopped playing the song it was currently playing, and skipped to the next one. This was while bypassing my entire network apparatus.

Lastly, I know far too many people who are also using Ubiquiti networks with Roon without problems. It is a solid and robust solution used by many businesses and homes. If any networking hardware would have a problem, it would be the ISP provided modem/routers

Hey @Jason_Carle2, thanks for testing that! This stuff is valuable information when we’re eliminating potential causes. And you said you still experience this when playing to system output of the mac mini?

Have you tried switching to Google or Cloudflare DNS to see if there’s any change?

I use Cloudflare DNS, but will switch to google to test it.

I have given myself a headache investigating this today, and I believe I have found both the problem and a solution.

The Problem:

Roon was stopping playback seemingly at random of tracks at 24/192, no others, and skipping ahead to the next song, which would play normally, and then repeat again on the next song.

After many long hours of watching Activity Monitor on the 2011 mini that runs my Roon Core, and witnessing this happen in real time, I believe I know the problem now. In the short window that Roon uses to download the songs, it spikes CPU usage to nearly 100%. If the OS decides to do something at the same time that takes a fair bit of CPU, Roon will “crash” and go to the next song. However, it seems to then get stuck in a high CPU usage mode and will not recover from this until the Roon Server is quit, and restarted. Once the Roon Server is quit and restarted it will play normally again until the above described conditions repeat.

Solution? The one I have been considering for a while now and that’s replace my 2011 mini with its slow as heck i5 dual core, its SSD Drive that I recently upgraded, and its 16GB of RAM with a dedicated Roon Appliance for my server such as the Sonic Transporter i9.

Interestingly, HQPlayer never used more than 11% of the processing in use whether or not the song was downloading or not, so that doesn’t seem to be the problem. Roon will use more processing power depending on the bit rate of the file being played, which I found odd, but ok, nothing I can do about that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.