I don't understand why my Roon is acting slow and skipping tracks

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac 27" 2019, 3,7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, 512Gb SSD
Roon build number: 1.7 build 610.
My music is stored on 2 external SSD’s. One 1Tb formatted APFS, connected over USB-C, and one 512Gb formatted Mac OS, connected over USB 3.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

This problem occurs when playing on my iMac or on my hifi, but is also visible with the Roon remote on an iPad over wifi.
My bridge, a Sonore microrendu, is connected over ethernet, passing through an Apple Airport Extreme.
Sometimes my iMac runs VPN software. I’m not sure if this has something to do with it.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

The iMac itself + a Microrendu for my hifi system

Description Of Issue

Roon is often slow (to load albums, search, the ‘overview’, etc) plus skips tracks. This started after I bought a new iMac and I think after I copied my music from a defect external HDD to a new samsung T5 external SSD, connected over USB-C. I thought Roon would benefit of the SSD’s, for the core and my music, but I do not notice a real difference compared to my older iMac with regular HDD and my former external HDD storage over USB-2. Plus the skipping tracks issue is really annoying. It often takes a reboot of ROON to fix this.

When ROON skips tracks, it does it really fast. I don’t get the ‘orange message’ there is a hardware problem. I’m pretty sure this happens only to music located on my new external Samsung T5 USB-C SSD, formatted as APFS.

I simply don’t understand what’s causing all this. Could it be the 8Gb RAM in my iMac is insufficiënt? or has it something to do with the Samsung T5? it’s powered over USB-C. Or is it my VPN software? I’m in the dark here. I’d appreciate it if you could give me some suggestions.

Hi @Percival,

How often does this occur? Does it seem to happen with any specific types of content?

Does this happen only when the VPN is running or can it happen even with the VPN disabled?

Hello Dylan

It’s across Roon, not with specific content that I am aware of.
but, VPN had been off for a few days, and the problem seems to be gone.
I can understand how VPN influences the loading of external contant, and thus the whole program. But I don’t understand if/why it would be the cause of the fast skipping of tracks with no feedback.

Hello @Percival, and thanks for the update! I spoke to the team about this and they noted that a VPN will change your localhosts file and since RAAT always plays your content over the network (even when playing to system output) it might not correctly make contact with your endpoint while the VPN is running.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.