I guess this could be the beginning of the end for “pure PCM” in Tidal

I’ve split out those posts … that MQA for and against discussion can carry on there, and those that wish to can ignore it.

1 Like

Ok so this one is for general MQA discussion?

I’m in the US, but I subscribe to both Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio. Are there some more examples that we can investigate further?

Are these Tidal exclusives, and if so, is there a non-MQA equivalent 16/44.1 PCM version available on Tidal?

If the album is not exclusive, is there an equivalent 16/44.1 PCM available on Qobuz? If not, is there an equivalent Hi-Res PCM version available on Qobuz?

It would be interesting if a particular label could be identified or if this is all based on release dates. This would help to identify if this trend had something directly to do with how Tidal is moving forward or if this is mostly from decisions made by music labels.

Personally, I never want to be in a position where my only choice for new music or carefully remastered projects are only made available in MQA, where my choices are restricted and the quality is compromised from an objective standpoint.

1 Like

I just took a quick look at TIDAL What’s New, Masters in Roon and 5 of the 16 on the first page are MQA-only releases. Possibly the most prominent artist is the Black Keys’ “Let’s Rock” which is available elsewhere in 16/44.1. Another is the Midsommar soundtrack, which is available in 16/44.1 on pre-order in the UK. The others are minor artists except for the compilation (also available elsewhere in 16/44.1) Tiny Changes: A Celebration of Frightened Rabbit’s ‘The Midnight Organ Fight’.

Hardly representative.

Of note, looking through View All, there are few MQA-only releases, the first in 2018. When I Get Home by Solange is MQA-only (released 2019) and this also on pre-order for CD, otherwise digital (lossy) format only–checked on MusicBrainz.

Could this perceived issue be more about exclusivity? At this time, I think the headline is unfounded; I continue to grab loads of 16/44.1 releases from TIDAL on a weekly basis.

I bet if you check the same MQA only releases in Qobuz, you’ll find they are only offered in hires. Not sure if anyone has issue with hires only since it can be downsampled if listening on the go.

I just looked at Tidal “What’s New”, via ROON, and I only show 10 MQA titles to the latest 63 albums.

In Qobuz, there are 40 hires albums for the first 63 albums listed in their new releases section.

I just checked on Tidal, The Lion King and new Ed Sheeran are only available in MQA. Those same albums are only available in Qobuz in hires. I’m not going to spend anymore time checking this but seems to be the pattern.

With regards to “Let’s Rock” from The Black Keys, it appears that Warner only made a 24/48 version available to stream for Tidal and Qobuz, with no option for Red Book 16/44.1. Though, I do see what appears to be a normal CD available to purchase on Amazon, with no obvious markings anywhere that might indicate some MQA-CD.

It would be interesting to analyze the audio signal of the CD to compare with both the MQA version from Tidal (full unfold, 1st unfold via Roon, and unprocessed) along with the Hi-Res version with Qobuz.

I would be content if a standard 24/48 PCM version became the next generation standard as CD production decreases, provided that the 24/48 version is using the same master as any higher resolution versions. Throw a sharp filter on it and I know that I have the highest quality I can expect my ears to be able to enjoy.

2 posts were split to a new topic: I know Roon does the 1st unfold, but is it good enough?

Yes, thanks for the additional feedback. It does seem that this is all coming from the labels, and not strictly a move by Tidal. Tidal does not offer traditional Hi-Res, so their only option for subscribers to listen to this music is with the MQA format.

I’m seeing Lion King available in 16/44.1 on both Tidal and Qobuz. Though, since Tidal has no real Hi-Res options outside of MQA, the 24/44.1 is only MQA there, though Qobuz has the PCM version.

Thanks. I was only looking on my phone. Easier to check in roon for versions. But I think we’ve determined it’s the labels and not Tidal making the MQA only decision.

Nonetheless, if that’s all they’re offering, our choice is limited. I suppose we can complain but was easier to just switch to Qobuz and leave feedback on why I quit Tidal.

1 Like

But, but, but… mqa fans said this would never happen and it’s all about consumer choice!

3 Likes

If their original claim was true, this wouldn’t be an issue. That the folded MQA file was the same as the PCM CD version. This has been proven false.

If it was true, then they could have removed the other copies and just posted the MQA version. Seems some labels don’t care.

The issue is that when the labels are only providing some format over 16/44.1, Tidal can only make this available via MQA. Tidal does not offer streaming above 16/44.1 without the MQA format. To this point, a PCM option has been available to stream on Qobuz. I don’t have access to other streaming services, so this is a limited observation.

It is not MQA only. It is Hi-Res streaming only, and the subscription service’s method of delivery. To my knowledge, Tidal never offered Hi-Res in non-MQA formats. The new issue here is that the labels are not making all new releases available in 16/44.1. This may just be an issue with prioritization. Maybe these will be made available at a later time?

I’m going to continue to keep an eye on it.

1 Like

But I don’t think with Qobuz only having the hires version is an issue, is it? If suppose downsampling could be an issue.

Think Tidal only having MQA is a bigger issue.

I suppose we need to let the streaming companies know we’d like to have the PCM CD version available and they’ll contact the label. Beyond that, not much we can do.

1 Like

I recently purchased the previously mentioned Black Keys Let’s Rock album download from Qobuz in 16/44.1

1 Like

I should have been clearer: What’s New, Masters. Amended post.

Available in 16/44.1 elsewhere. Released 12th July.

Release date 19th July - TIDAL exclusive?