I have a spare Raspberry Pi 2... any suggestions?

:smile: Hi, new to Roon, I have a NUC as Roon server, a Nad C368 + Monitor Audio speakers in a room, a Bluesound Powernode 2i + Klipsch speakers in another, and a couple of Bluesound Flex in my kitchen and bedroom.

Now… I have a spare Raspberry Pi 2, and I’m very intrigued to use it for music.

How would you use it? How I can put it in the mix of my system?

Would it be useful? Hat? 7” screen? What can I do with my Pi?

Thanks and sorry for my english.

Install Dietpi as the operating system for the Pi.
You can then use the usb output to connect to a dac.
Better results would come from using a HAT eg Allo Digione offering a coaxial output and improved audio (Rasp usb output is a bit ‘rough and ready’).
Personally never bothered with a screen as I can just use s Roon remote (eg on iPhone).
Other Pi OSs are available (eg Roopiee). Power supplies possibly improve things etc etc etc. Lots of advice within the community.

Thanks Tim, I already know this stuff.

I’d like to know how would you use a device like this (say the Rpi, with ropieee and a hat as a dac) in my system.
Do I need it? Where? Near the Nad amplifier that already has a BlueOS module? Near the Powernode 2i?

Main reason I use a Pi is as a Network Audio Adaptor. So to turn existing dacs into network dacs but also to improve the audio signal.
If all of your DACs are network enabled and play nicely with Roon, then not sure you need to bother.

Yes, that’s my answer, probably. :grinning:

Have you got an old pair of speakers and cable hanging around?

SI

Unfortunately not. That could be a good idea, hifiberry amp/dac and speakers. But no more room left at home :grinning:

Looks like your sorted then. I had an old pair of speakers, a Pi3B and cable so used them for the Kitchen. Got a Justboom DacHat and Ropieee as a bridge. I had to get ahttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N8W34SC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to help out with drop out as the Wifi was Naff and it has worked a treat since. I used to use Kodi but had a Roon voucher in the Justboom box. Thought I would give it a try and think its very good so far. You could use it for a headphone dac when you want wack it up!