I need help with Periodic Roon Backup

Roon Core Machine

I use an HP Windows desktop computer as my nucleus. It is HP 17-7500/8GB/1TB Model Z5N47aa.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

My computer has a direct Ethernet cable connection which is approximately 18 meters long connected by a coaxial connection to a Motorola router which supports speeds up to 686 Mbps downstream and 123 Mbps upstream and dual-band Wi-Fi broadcasting on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies.

Connected Audio Devices

The desktop computer is connected to a Topping D10 Balanced DAC which is connected to my analog audio equipment, i.e, head amp, receiver and both passive and active loudspeakers.

Number of Tracks in Library

I estimate that my current Roon music library is between 300 and 10,000 tracks.

Description of Issue

I having problems with Roon making Backups to my music library. I t has been a long time since I has had an effective Roon Backup.
When I check on my periodic Backups, I see the following error message: “Backup failed at at __ (Month)/Backup directory not available.” The most recent of these was 20 October 2022.

What is intended by the term “Backup directory,” and do I need to do something to create it? My desktop computer and connection to the internet has not changed in any material manner over the past year.

Screen print your Backup screens.

Here’s mine, e.g. -

Hey @Davison_Grant,

You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

Following up on this thread, I wanted to check in to see if you were still having issues setting up or fixing your backup folder path. As @xxx suggested, sharing a screenshot of your backup folder path would be helpful in this case.

Here is more information on setting up backups: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/backup

I’ll be on standby for your reply :pray:

Ben:

Thank you for your follow-up. The bottom line is I believe I am not accomplishing successful backups. And I find the notifications regarding my backups on 10/31/22 are conflicting. I intuit that the problem with the first message is that the path has my name, rather simply owner.

The first attachment below is a screen shot which I took this morning of my backup folder path. You will see that it indicates two inconsistent outcomes. First, that a backup on October 31, 2022 failed. And second, that a backup on October 31, 2022 was successful.

However, when I checked my Roon backup folders in the second attachment below, it appears that I have not accomplished a complete backup in 2022. To summarize: the backup folder created on 7/8/21 contains 1.19 GB, but the backup folder created on 10/31/22 only contains 19 bytes.

Any advice you might have regarding this situation would be appreciated.

Davison

We’re not seeing the screenshot that you refer to in your message. Here’s how to post screenshots in the forum:

You could try and do a back up immediately using back up now, and see if that works or comes up with an error.

Thank you Geoff. I thought I attempted earlier to attach Word Images of ScreenShots.

First Screen Shot:

Second Screen Shot:

Was the drive being backed up to, turned on at the time the backup was attempted?

I see that you have your Roon Backups folder as a subfolder of your Music folder. I do hope that you haven’t set the Music folder as a Watched Folder in Roon. That should not be done.

From the Backup article:

We strongly recommend that you do not set the location of Database Backups to be within any Watched Folders because Roon will try to scan that directory and scan the Database Backup itself. This can cause issues, so please keep the locations separate.

Best to backup to completely different location to music, use a different PC or external hard drive.

Thank you, Rod. I will do so to my 8TB external hard drive.

1 Like

Hey @Davison_Grant,

Both @Geoff_Coupe and @RodS have provided excellent information here. After setting up a new backup directory on your external drive, let me know if you run into the same issue :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.