I really don’t understand some people who post on this and some other threads in the Roon forum

I always thought the point of “Animal Farm” was that utopian societies where all are equal is an illusion, worse, a chimera. As Aristotle put it, government makes us better people. Or as Hobbes would say:

it is annexed to the [moderators], to be Judge of what Opinions and Doctrines are averse, and what conducing to Peace; and consequently, on what occasions, how farre, and what, men are to be trusted withall, in speaking to Multitudes of people; and who shall examine the Doctrines of all bookes before they be published.

Eugene Levine posts a very long, well thought out post, then deletes it. Odd.

I deleted it because it wasn’t easy to follow. Maybe I can do a little better if I edit it. Mark Twain apologized to his editor by saying he apologized for writing such a long letter because he didn’t have time to write a short one. :slight_smile: Thanks for the kind words, garym

5 Likes

I use that basic example often. But I always thought it was Abraham Lincoln rather than Mark Twain. But never looked into it. The point is a great one!

Edit:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/04/28/shorter-letter/

Does it mean more or less rap going forward :rofl: :rofl: :sweat_smile:

Not many people use Tidal. It’s also expensive, and arguably worse than other available services. There are going to be many many more posts about people requesting Apple Music or Spotify integration.

Most people get it that Roon have tried to get integration with these services and have yet to be successful . But is that the end of it, or are they going to keep trying? I believe it to be within Roons and Roons users best interest for survival to ensure that this happens.

Could you clarify this point? Are you saying not many Roon users use Tidal, I think that is false. Is Tidal much smaller than Spotify, Apple, and Amazon…. Sure.

More broadly on the OP, I am glad the Roon team allows all different kinds of posts and keeps some broad rails to keep the conversations civil. Are there endless threads of people talking past each other, yes, but there are also fabulous tips and nuggets from people with decades of audiophile experience.

The negativity or self-centered view of some posters is not out of line with all Internet forums and social media, the anonymity gives people to write things they might not say out loud or face to face.

The industry is in a lot of flux, bumpy roads ahead!

I think you’ll probably find that a lot of Roon users use Tidal. I’d be pretty confident that more Roon users use Tidal than any other music streaming service.

I would also hazard a guess that not many Roon users would be interested in the inclusion of Apple Music, Amazon or Spotify in Roon unless it meant pretty much full integration in the way that Roon offers with Tidal or Qobuz. Of course, it would pretty much take a miracle for this to happen.

Without this, you would be just as well off using their native apps rather than Roon.

2 Likes

Just waited for bit perfect playback on Android for 4 years, I don’t think I’m asking too much for paid software like ROON?

1 Like

99.9% lifetime Roon member very happy no matter what :grin: :grin: :grin:

1 Like

So if one doesn’t agree with you, one is a vilain?

Not sure why people keep having a go at Tidal for using MQA, I don’t have an MQA dac, don’t use Tidal as I prefer music choice on Qobuz, but have no problem with others liking and using it .
If Roon lost both I still have 2.5k albums ripped on my Nas to play and 3k L.P’s so as long as Roon keep going I will use it.
Live and let live.

4 Likes

You guys keep arguing and fighting… I’m gonna listen to some cool music…with Roon BTW, which I like very much BTW… :heart:

2 Likes

14 posts were split to a new topic: Acronyms or abbreviations

I like Roon and I have invested in Roon (Nucleus, yearly subscription), but I am very much concerned about Roon’s future. I think Roon will need somehow play with with Apple, Amazon, and Spotify strategically, and it is urgent, and it is a matter of survival.

I have got tidal and to be honest only use it to see if I like new or ‘discovered’ music. If I do I buy it. I could continue to do this if Roon never played with anyone and would be perfectly happy with it just using my home collection.

2 Likes

Not sure survival comes into this, depending on Roons cost base.
It also drives how big Roon needs to be.
If 250k dedicated users or even 100k is enough then so be it, the audiophile community is a tiny percentage of music listener’s after all.

Working with Apple/Spotify and Amazon only work’s if those companies want to play ball and Roon may well be seen as too small. Apple only works with directly with Sonos and they are the king’s in this market and Spotify has a reputation of wanting to control everything. It would be great for users of those services but can’t be demanded.

It seems that the rapid growth of the user base is what is causing Roon so many complaining user’s over the last year.
So I for one would be happy to see them slow down on growth and work on the overall system stability and thing’s that people are complaining about and then move onto more integrations (if this is available)

4 Likes

100% agree. There are a lot of outstanding issues that have to be addressed before any new features. But it’s seems attracting new customers seems to be more the focus over last updates rather than fixing broken core functionality. I hope search is fixed completely in the next one, it’s so broken right now it’s just embarrassing.

2 Likes

Yes the new shiny always looks better.
Sadly I have pretty much given up on search at this point, but I am always hopeful.

4 Likes

I think the Roon developers have big things on their radar. Unfortunately, the road is rockier. Fuzzy search, like Valence, has a great future, but currently still has heavy problems.

2 Likes