I receive a backup failed at x:xx:xx / error backing up database

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Win10 Roon 1.7 Build 511

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

DCS

Description Of Issue
The Manual and Scheduled backup fail. I receive a backup failed at x:xx:xx / error backing up database.
I try to backup to my C drive but still failed. I have enough space.

Hi @karson_kwan,

Have you made backups successfully previously from this Core machine?

How many tracks total are in your database (can be found on Overview screen)?

The last backup was Nov 2019, How to see how many tracks?

Hi @karson_kwan,

The number of tracks can be found on the Overview screen in Roon.

about 61000

about 61000

Thanks for confirming, @karson_kwan. That’s not too large, so that shouldn’t cause any issues.

How much space is available on the C drive? Do you have any other location you can try to back up to? Does it work if you use the other location?

many space

Hi @karson_kwan,

If you back up to a different location like a USB drive or Dropbox does the same error occur?

NAS . Dropbox I have been tried. same issue

Thanks for confirming, @karson_kwan.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

OK, Done . The time is 21 Mar 17:29:36

Thanks, @karson_kwan.

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Sorry I don’t understand received what?

Any UPDATE?

Hi @karson_kwan,

I spoke with the team about their analysis here and this is what they’ve found:

03/21 17:29:36 Warn: [broker/backups] unexpected error doing backup on FileBrowser.Entry: \\nas, cas : \RoonBackups: System.ArgumentException: 檔案名稱、目錄名稱或磁碟區標籤語法錯誤。

參數名稱: path
   於 Base.IO.LongPathCommon.GetFileHandle(String normalizedPath, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
   於 Base.IO.LongPathFile.Open(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   於 Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<>c__DisplayClass12_1.<ComputeBackupFiles>b__1(String file, Boolean needs_copy)
   於 Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<>c__DisplayClass12_0.<ComputeBackupFiles>b__0()
   於 System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- 先前擲回例外狀況之位置中的堆疊追蹤結尾 ---
   於 System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   於 System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   於 Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<ComputeBackupFiles>d__12.MoveNext()
--- 先前擲回例外狀況之位置中的堆疊追蹤結尾 ---
   於 System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   於 System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   於 Sooloos.Broker.BackupDestination`1.<StartBackup>d__6.MoveNext()

Whenever a backup is being made, Roon is receiving this error. It’s hard to say exactly what is causing this at the moment, but something about your specific environment is triggering this error.

The first thing we’d like to suggest is this:

• Close Roon on the Core machine
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old” IMPORTANT ---- Do not delete this Roon_Old folder. You’ll need to keep this.
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • Try to make a backup with this new database — Does the same error occur?

If I rename the roon folder. How to restart the app?

Thanks for the followup, @karson_kwan. You can find the existing application file in the Roon_Old folder.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.