I think I’m finally ready for a NUC and Deep Harmony question

Everything arrived for my NUC, so will attempt the installation of the parts and ROCK software tonight. All my music is now copied on ExFat external drive. Re-watching the Hans Beekhuyzen videos on YouTube…

My Pi 4 items arrive next week, at which point I will then get that setup and install DietPi along with Deep Harmony extension.

1 Like

@Jan_Koudijs

I’m glad Jan and Adam got on the same page. Both Extension Manager and Deep Harmony are fantastically useful. EM makes deployment for non-Unix folks a bunch less learning.

Jan, it’s only been a couple days since your post and I don’t see DH in the repository yet. Any estimate when it will be available?

I ask because I’ve got DH (setup first on a old micro Dell PC) and then added EM and would like to repurpose an unused RPi4 and give away the little Dell who’s day is truly done.

I got her done! Certainly learned a lot in going through all this. It is so nice not being chained to the Mac anymore, and the UI is very snappy/responsive with it being on the NUC. Music just starts instantaneously, and switches songs really fast. Very impressed…makes me love Roon even more now and really looking forward to enjoying the added stability. And I’m really really tired…lol…off to bed and will play with it more tomorrow. Thanks for all the help! Looking forward to the RPi4 project next week to finish this out.

1 Like

Got my Raspberry Pi 4 today and set it up using DietPi, learning all about ssh, etc. because of course I didn’t buy a micro HDMI adapter to have a display (which I didn’t even know that type of port existed - I should have looked at the Pi specs closer when ordering). Found very helpful instructions here to run RPi in headless mode (YouTube was not very helpful for me):
https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=9#p9
using Dropbear SSH server in Windows (had trouble finding a Mac equivalent so I just used Parallels):
https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=62#p62
SSH’d into it and followed these instructions:

Everything is working and I see this now in Roon (yay!):

Now I just gotta figure out the Deep Harmony installation which was the sole purpose (for now) of the RPi … and I’m hungry and need to relax so I will pick this up tomorrow night :slight_smile:

Curious what people might use for their RPi’s to give it a power button (if that’s common) - I don’t like using SSH to shut it down and then unplugging/plugging the unit to get it back on (though granted I guess I won’t be doing that too often with this running). Very happy with the Flirc case I got btw. Anyways - getting closer to the dream!

in Mac just use terminal app and command like ssh root@xxx.yyy.xxx.yyy and add the fingerprint by typing yes then enter the dietpi password

1 Like

Wow…well that’s easy! It worked! Thanks for the tip.

You will learn something new everyday even if you dont want to :smiley:

@timmo, @Larry_Post,

If you update the Extension Repository to v0.3.7 then you can install Deep Harmony from the Remote Control category. Once installed you have to update the Deep Harmony extension to the latest version via its Settings.

If you manually installed Deep Harmony before then I suggest to uninstall it first and then install via the Extension Manager. This way the created container can be controlled via the manager.

2 Likes

I may have missed it, you have an external drive.

How is this getting backed up and to where?
Where is your library backed up to?
Personally I’d have put the files on a NAS.
Mine is and is then backed up to an external drive and the cloud.
Library is also backed up to the NAS which is also hid away locked up in the garage out of view.

Nice! Thanks Jan! That was actually pretty easy to do:

You saved me a lot of research time - thank you

1 Like

I’m a backup nut - 3/2/1 strategy and then some. My main library is on my Drobo directly connected to mac mini via thunderbolt (5 bays). I then use a nightly run Chronosync script to sync that music over the network to my USB drive that is directly connected to ROCK/NUC (iTunes and FLAC libraries). The audio scanning is taking forever though on that USB drive … ROCK is set to Throttled … not sure if I should increase that. Stability is the main thing I’m after here (NUC is the recommended/tested i7).

1 Like

I ended up buying a $10 IKEA smartplug for it - seems like the easiest route and I can manage it remotely if needed (bonus)

Finished :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You should reboot or shutdown, not kill the power. The boot volume will become corrupt at some point doing so.

Thanks for the tip. I plan to shut it down via SSH first before powering it down when needed (which is hopefully rare). I have all of this type of equipment on a UPS for battery backup to help avoid corruption when losing power.

1 Like

I’ve just installed Extension Manager 0.11.5 but I don’t see ‘Deep Harmony’ as an option under ‘Remote Control’ - just the ‘Doc Bobo’ version.

Any idea what I’ve done wrong, or has the ‘Deep Harmony’ extension been withdrawn?